Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Logitech Unveils New Protection+ Case and +Trip Car Mount for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

Back in May, Logitech announced its new Case+ product for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, which contained a metal case and multiple magnetic attachments for different uses. Today, the company unveiled two new products inspired by the line: the new Protection+ case for iPhone 5s/5 and the +Trip accessory for mounting an iPhone to a car's air vents for easy viewing.

Logitech's Protection+ case
The Protection+ case for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 features a slim design with a protective outer shell and internal impact-resistant materials. The case's corners each hold impact resistant polymers to minimize forces of impact, while the accessory's insides feature a thermoplastic rubber (TPR) layer to absorb energy from drops. Logitech's Protection+ case also comes with a raised bezel edge to protect the iPhone's touch screen and is tested for drops from up to 1.8 meters (about 6 feet) in height.

Logitech's +Trip car mount

Logitech's +Trip car mount is also being sold alongside the original +Drive accessory that attaches to a car's dashboard or windshield and came with the original Case+ system. The Protection+ case as well as the +Trip and +Drive mounts also all contain magnetic mounts to support the other Case+ attachments.

The Protection+ case will launch next month for $34.99, and will come in colors of Winter White, Gunmetal Black, Scarlett Plum, and Pacific Blue. The +Trip and +Drive accessories will also be released next month and sell for $29.99 and $49.99, respectively. Interested customers can pre-order all three now on Logitech's official website.

Article Link: Logitech Unveils New Protection+ Case and +Trip Car Mount for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:04 AM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

right around iPhone 6 time.
farewelwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:42 AM   #3
whitete
macrumors member

Google Zolo. The campaign is almost over.
whitete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:45 AM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Every year 3 months before the next iPhone Logitech does this. Someone in there r&d department needs sacked
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:12 AM   #5
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Just in time not to fit my new iPhone 6.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Every year 3 months before the next iPhone Logitech does this. Someone in there r&d department needs sacked
Why? Are you saying they should rush out products as quickly as they can rather than taking time to do it properly?

I'm sure they have an iPhone 6 version pretty much ready.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:47 AM   #7
jadot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
right around iPhone 6 time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Just in time not to fit my new iPhone 6.
There's nothing wrong with my iPhone 5, so I'm keeping it. I may get a new iPhone 6 next year or the year after.
You don't need to upgrade your (whatever device) every year - You'll save yourself some money, and contribute towards reducing environmental impact.

But even if you were going to dump your 5/5s on eBay then I'm sure this case would be perfect for the next owner, and that's a huge market.

So logitech may have extended the lifespan of a device for current iPhone owners, saving them money. Why would someone need to get sacked for that?! - it's an intelligent move.

What's questionable is whether there's any real intelligence in sucking up new technology whenever you're told to by whoever's trying to sell it to you just because it's new!

That's pretty stupid, right?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Waxhead138
macrumors member

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadot View Post
There's nothing wrong with my iPhone 5, so I'm keeping it. I may get a new iPhone 6 next year or the year after.
You don't need to upgrade your (whatever device) every year - You'll save yourself some money, and contribute towards reducing environmental impact.

But even if you were going to dump your 5/5s on eBay then I'm sure this case would be perfect for the next owner, and that's a huge market.

So logitech may have extended the lifespan of a device for current iPhone owners, saving them money. Why would someone need to get sacked for that?! - it's an intelligent move.

What's questionable is whether there's any real intelligence in sucking up new technology whenever you're told to by whoever's trying to sell it to you just because it's new!

Agreed about not having to purchase the new items just because, and also with waiting to release once an item is ready and is decent quality.

The big hang up here is that we're talking about cases and accessories for a case...that are semi expensive for a design making its exit, and also, for a phone design that is dangerously close to two years old. For those whose upgrade cycle happens to land on the year that traditionally gets a new design....most people aren't going to invest in semi expensive accessories knowing they will probably buy the new design, at least not in that final 6 months. Of course this is all subject to opinion, and
you're right after having solid aftermarket sales. I just feel Logitech should have been smarter about the timing....I mean the 5 / 5S design is not new, especially when talking about cases that don't effect the Touch ID sensor.
Waxhead138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:41 AM   #9
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

A little late to the game. Just a few months away from a new design.
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:55 AM   #10
macduke
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadot View Post

Considering that this is a somewhat premium case, and the market for used phones is not a premium market, it doesn't make sense to me. I purchased my iPhone 5 on September 21, 2012 and I'll be upgrading my iPhone on (most likely) September 19, 2014. There are probably a lot of other people who will also be upgrading this autumn because they're up for renewal. Two years for a phone upgrade isn't unreasonable (and fairly inexpensive), and there are new features I'd like to have like a bigger screen and TouchID (especially after seeing the iOS 8 1Password demo—I manage dozens of sites and have hundreds of logins so I use it a ton). If Apple only keeps around a "C" model on the low-end, then this makes even less sense for Logitech as it appears they aren't making a "C" sized case—which also indicates to me that this case is targeted at a little more premium market. Sure there are a lot of iPhone 5/5S that exist, but many of those customers have probably already purchased a case if they felt that they needed one. It's just a strange move to come out with these new lines of fancy cases right before a product is retired. Hopefully they can quickly come out with something for the iPhone 6, and if they're any good I might try one out. This one does have a nice design. Though I'm considering going caseless for the first time since 2007.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:00 AM   #11
John.B
macrumors 68040

If there's a fail on Logitech's part, it's not getting in early enough in the 5S product cycle when demand was high and they could command premium prices. Some stragglers will buy these, sure, but most people have already decided on whatever case for their 5 or 5S, until the 6 comes out and it starts all over again.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12
jkrarup
macrumors newbie

Magnetic attachment

Am I confused but won't the magnet wipe the magnetic strip on my credit cards? I have already had problems with having my iPhone magnetic field alone wipe a hotel room keycard, so I would think that an additional magnet presumably cause more problems.

jkrarup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:16 AM   #13
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

I've only used wallet cases for years, which this is not, so I'll pass. Too bad. It's a nice system.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:10 AM   #14
7thson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrarup View Post
Am I confused but won't the magnet wipe the magnetic strip on my credit cards? I have already had problems with having my iPhone magnetic field alone wipe a hotel room keycard, so I would think that an additional magnet presumably cause more problems.

It looks like the case itself doesn't have a magnet, just a metal plate. The tilt has a magnet, but has to be removed to use the wallet. The Logitech website is short on specs, but the video seems to show this. So either a wallet or tilt, not both.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:18 PM   #15
JAT
macrumors 603

Hmm, is the magnet stronger than the clip that holds onto the car's vent?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:56 PM   #16
mbc2237
macrumors newbie

It isn't a great idea to place electronics over an A/C vent. From the things i have seen in the past, the components aren't conformal coated. You basically get a piece of metal really cold, then pop it off and and take it with you into a usually hot, humid environment. Creating condensation on the interior of the phone. Components don't like that. It should never damage anything immediately but latent damage will very likely start showing up.
mbc2237 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Oooh! I'm going to have to convince my dad to get the 5S instead of the 5C so I can get him this! He currently just leaves his iPhone 4 on the seat dangling from the charger.

Has a nice price tag too.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:37 PM   #18
sentiblue
macrumors Demi-God

Too late in the game

I agree with couple of you guys too that Logitech, a very well known and good company, takes too much time to design an accessory.

This is almost a year behind for the iPhone5... plus pre-order time, it comes out right about the time of the iPhone6.

Now... when iPhone6 happens, I hope they take much less time because the +Drive and +Trip ideas are already there, they just need to adjust to the new size.... Hopefully!!!
sentiblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion