Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nowhereelese.fr (Google Translate) shares some new photos of an alleged Touch ID fingerprint sensor said to be for the iPhone 6. The component appears to be mostly similar in design to the Touch ID component used for the iPhone 5s, aside from relocated screw holes that line up with the metal housing of the device.

iphone_6_touchid_2.jpg
iPhone 5s Touch ID sensor (top) and alleged iPhone 6 Touch ID component (bottom)​
Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is said to have provided the first batch of fingerprint sensors for the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 in May. A report last month noted that these newer Touch ID units would be more durable than the ones currently found in the iPhone 5s thanks to an updated manufacturing process that uses tin.

Higher shipments for Touch ID components would likely help launch supplies for the iPhone 6, as low yield rates of the component were reportedly to blame for the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s last year. The iPhone 6 will likely be announced and launched this September, and is expected to come in two sizes of 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches. However, a recent report suggested that the company is running into production issues with the device, which may lead to the 5.5-inch version launching after October or in early 2015.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Shown Off in New Photos

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No surprise here, its going to have a fingerprint sensor since the 5s has one as well. This really doesn't tell me much though :)

The good news is everything is coming together for a release in a few months

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
So there will be a 5.5 inch model for big men with big hands like construction workers...

But big thumbs need a bigger Touch ID ... like let's say an inch ? :D

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I've seen more bits of the iPhone 6 than Sasha Grey.

Anyone else wish they could see nothing until the damn thing is just released??

Mr Dashles

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Typical Apple repeating the same stuff every year. I don't know about you guys, but I think they should have toe print sensors by now. Apple is doomed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seriously, MR should start a separate page for iPhone parts. It's minutia unless it shows evidence of a significant hardware change. The above pic could be a part from anything AFAIC.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Really is true never buy first gen of Apple stuff

I remember reading here years ago how one should never buy first released )(gen 1) Apple tech, seems like it's still true to this day.

----------

I've seen more bits of the iPhone 6 than Sasha Grey.

Anyone else wish they could see nothing until the damn thing is just released??

You probably shouldn't come to a Mac rumors web site then?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Seriously, MR should start a separate page for iPhone parts. It's minutia unless it shows evidence of a significant hardware change. The above pic could be a part from anything AFAIC.

Actually I like all these little part leaks on the front page. At least it's some real Apple rumours. Unlike all the app advertising we are seeing. I am divided on patent war information on the front page though. I have no issues with that being there but others do have issues with it.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I remember reading here years ago how one should never buy first released )(gen 1) Apple tech, seems like it's still true to this day.

----------

You probably shouldn't come to a Mac rumors web site then?

The finger print scanner and the true-tone flash on the iphone 5s work perfectly. So I'd say yes to first gen Apple tech. :rolleyes:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
That is truly a fantastic photo

I don't know; I think there could be more compression artifacts if they tried…

GzQ3dTz.gif

No, WAIT! Something is missing… I can do better:

LoXeOwY.gif

THERE, this image is anywhere from 20 to 30 percent more legitimate!

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Actually I like all these little part leaks on the front page. At least it's some real Apple rumours. Unlike all the app advertising we are seeing. I am divided on patent war information on the front page though. I have no issues with that being there but others do have issues with it.

Based on all the tongue in cheek comments I'd say you are in the minority here. I'm not suggesting no parts should be on the front page, but they should at least be identifiable and useful as a data point. The pic here isn't even a rumor because it doesn't shed any new information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.