Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Months before Apple is expected to release its next-generation iPhone, functional iPhone 6 clones already are starting to appear in China's mobile phone marketplace. One of the first clones, the Wico i6, is profiled by 86DIGI (via Nowhereelse.fr) in a two-part hands-on video.

Wico isn't the only clone maker ready to enter the mobile phone black market, however. Chinese clone maker Goophone has also announced (via GizChina.com) that it is preparing the Goophone i6 for release in August, ahead of Apple's expected September iPhone launch.

goophone_i6.jpg
The GooPhone also borrows its styling from the rumored schematics of the iPhone 6 and pairs it with a quad-core Mediatek MT6582 chipset, 1GB RAM and 13 megapixel rear camera. Similar to previous Goophone clones, the i6 model is powered by the Android operating system.

Article Link: Wico and Goophone Beat Apple to Market with Android-Based iPhone 6 Clones

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
It's happening!

Also for a replica based on what the 6 is supposedly going to look like, it looks kind of plain.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
They beat Apple??

Since when is Apple making clones running Android.

I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Apple is building ~30 million of their devices as we speak. This garbage is probably built for about 100,000 people in China who don't know any better or care.

How is this anything more than a future lawsuit?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I wonder if giving products absolutely disgusting names has any positive effect on sales. If so, Snotphone® is mine, so nobody can have it!

I'm also disappointed that they didn't carry this ethos through with the rest of their marketing:

Iaw7PsF.png

Last edited:

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
I find it hilarious that they include the Touch ID home button on the phone despite the fact that there's no Touch ID.

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
8 GB of storage -- am I reading that correctly? This phone is clearly just for people to show off to their friends and is not meant to be a serious phone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

:facepalm: in what world would it ever make sense for Apple to build Android phones?

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I remember when coffee mugs were sold that looked like popular Canon lenses. Maybe the Goophone i6 dispenses chewing gum if you push forward on the Goophone’s screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.