Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubbly32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
I miss placed my original OEM MacBook Pro i7 early 2011 memory. Long story short I need to find the exact Hynix model / part number apple used in the Early 2011 MacBook Pro i7 15" 2.0ghz 4gb 500gb HDD configuration. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just out of curiosity, why?

Do you need to bring your MacBook Pro to Apple and want to put the original RAM back into it? If so, tell Apple you replaced the original RAM with your own, since RAM is deemed user replaceable per the manual and if you include your upgraded RAM in the MBP, make sure to document that in writing.

If it is for another reason, the only thing that comes to mind is EveryMac or MacSales, but they will probably not help either.

Bubbly32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Ya I do need to send it in for service. It is the GPU amd issue and I do not want to provide them with an excuse not to fix it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ya I do need to send it in for service. It is the GPU amd issue and I do not want to provide them with an excuse not to fix it.

The RAM is user replaceable with your model, as stated in the manual, take a copy with you, either as PDF or in whatever format you like.
When changing RAM, you are nowhere near the GPU, the GPU is even on the other side.

And if you still have the receipt for the new RAM, you can probably show them, that the period between the RAM upgrade and the GPU failure is too long to have anything to do with each other.

And if you decide to go with the new RAM to the Apple gals, keep the RAM models documented, as they might replace it with the original RAM and then give you that back and forget about your new RAM.

Good luck.

PS: I once had an iBook with a faulty logic board. I replaced the 512 MB RAM module with a 1 GB module before that and there was no problem fixing the logic board, since it was a known problem, as is the 2011 GPU issue. They will not be so cheap to blame you for the damage, as they will lose a customer that way. If they fix it, you will more likely to be staying with Apple and your future computer purchases, unless you have had a ****** experience not yet.

Sorry, am a bit high on painkillers.

Bubbly32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
The guy working on my case said if I replaced the ram myself the issue would not be covered. Long story short I need to find the ram because he's shipping me a prepaid shipping box right now that will be here Friday.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The guy working on my case said if I replaced the ram myself the issue would not be covered. Long story short I need to find the ram because he's shipping me a prepaid shipping box right now that will be here Friday.

Wow, escalate it, since that is not a valid reason.
No need to spend money on something you shouldn't have to.

Replacing RAM is officially sanctioned by Apple as per the user guide on page 44: http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1567/en_US/macbook_pro_15inch_early2011.pdf

There is always tcook(at)apple.com.

Bubbly32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
I tried explaining that too him but he wasn't having it. And I do not want to get hit with a $500 logic board replacement cause they want to have an issue with my upgraded ram. It's ridiculous I know but I need to figure out that ram. If anyone even has an early 2011 i7 2.0ghz 15" MacBook with the factory ram installed if they could just open it up an snap a photo of the Hynix memory / white sticker ID APPRECIATE IT

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I tried explaining that too him but he wasn't having it.

Then call back and talk to someone else. If that gets nowhere, call again, and keep doing so until you get a person who knows what they're doing. Have the posted user guide available, and read the pertinent sections word-for-word to whomever you're talking to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.