Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
PowerMac6,5. A1054. 12.1".

1.2Ghz with 1.2GB ram and a 30GB hard drive.

Updating Leopard at the moment.

Had to replace the keyboard and add 1GB of ram from the dead iBook G4 14.1 that I have.

You'll probably notice the other Macs in the house in the picture. :D

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 21.43.06.jpg
    2014-07-16 21.43.06.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 222

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
PowerMac6,5. A1054. 12.1".

1.2Ghz with 1.2GB ram and a 30GB hard drive.

Updating Leopard at the moment.

Had to replace the keyboard and add 1GB of ram from the dead iBook G4 14.1 that I have.

You'll probably notice the other Macs in the house in the picture. :D

Looks great! What is the master plan for this Mac?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Looks great! What is the master plan for this Mac?
At the moment I'm seeing it more as a glorified USB stick with an LCD and keyboard. I think I will probably take it back and forth to work and use it to coordinate Dropbox or any really light tasks.

I have no intention of using it to browse the internet like I do with my main PB. I complained about my daughter's iBook G4 being too small and hers is the 14".

But, it'll be easier to just grab this and a power supply if I need to rather than carrying around my 17". However, the 17" will still be going to Starbucks with me. :D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
At the moment I'm seeing it more as a glorified USB stick with an LCD and keyboard. I think I will probably take it back and forth to work and use it to coordinate Dropbox or any really light tasks.

I have no intention of using it to browse the internet like I do with my main PB. I complained about my daughter's iBook G4 being too small and hers is the 14".

But, it'll be easier to just grab this and a power supply if I need to rather than carrying around my 17". However, the 17" will still be going to Starbucks with me. :D

Definitely will do that job really well. Have you installed all your customizations yet?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Definitely will do that job really well. Have you installed all your customizations yet?
Just the basics at the moment. f.lux, Caffiene, Shadowkiller, Quicksilver, iScroll2 and Dropbox.

I think I've decided against any major UI customizations. Of course, I change my mind all the time so that may last until tomorrow!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just the basics at the moment. f.lux, Caffiene, Shadowkiller, Quicksilver, iScroll2 and Dropbox.

I think I've decided against any major UI customizations. Of course, I change my mind all the time so that may last until tomorrow!

So it isn't going to become the victim of tinkering?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Out of curiosity, what is the people who are always in your backgrounds smiling?
???

You mean like in the picture I took, or my desktop wallpaper?

If the former, in this case, it's just my daughter's dolls. That's Tinkerbell and Dora there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The desktop wallpaper that is on all your Macs and devices...
Hmmm…well, it's not the same image. Just various pictures of a TV show called The Honeymooners that aired in the 1950s.

I'm a Honeymooners fan and an Audrey Meadows (in particular) fan. Audrey played Alice Kramden, a role she is famous for. Her sister is Jayne Meadows. Jayne married Steve Allen, a famous comedian of the 50s and 60s.

Here is the untouched picture that I messed with somewhat for my 1.0Ghz Mac. It's a still from a scene where Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) is about to let Alice have it. The two in the back, Ralph's friend Ed Norton (Art Carney) and Norton's wife Trixie (Joyce Randolph) just happen to be there.

Gleason died in 1985, Meadows died in 1996 and Carney died in 2003. Joyce Randolph, who had the smallest part in the series outlives them all as she is still alive.

P.S., if Alice looks like she isn't paying any attention to Ralph, look at her eyes. That's an Audrey Meadows protective trick. Jackie Gleason was known for striding around back and forth on the set and if you were in the way you were likely to get run over. So, she adopted a way of just standing there and not moving, but still paying attention to him. Her arms are folded because they are already in an argument and she doesn't like it. But that's why I like her. She stood up to Ralph and never let him get away with anything.

To bring this back to the iBook, right now I have no plans to use a Honeymooners background. But, again, that could change.

Attachments

• honeymooners-01.jpg
    honeymooners-01.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hmmm…well, it's not the same image. Just various pictures of a TV show called The Honeymooners that aired in the 1950s.

I'm a Honeymooners fan and an Audrey Meadows (in particular) fan. Audrey played Alice Kramden, a role she is famous for. Her sister is Jayne Meadows. Jayne married Steve Allen, a famous comedian of the 50s and 60s.

Here is the untouched picture that I messed with somewhat for my 1.0Ghz Mac. It's a still from a scene where Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) is about to let Alice have it. The two in the back, Ralph's friend Ed Norton (Art Carney) and Norton's wife Trixie (Joyce Randolph) just happen to be there.

Gleason died in 1985, Meadows died in 1996 and Carney died in 2003. Joyce Randolph, who had the smallest part in the series outlives them all as she is still alive.

P.S., if Alice looks like she isn't paying any attention to Ralph, look at her eyes. That's an Audrey Meadows protective trick. Jackie Gleason was known for striding around back and forth on the set and if you were in the way you were likely to get run over. So, she adopted a way of just standing there and not moving, but still paying attention to him. Her arms are folded because they are already in an argument and she doesn't like it. But that's why I like her. She stood up to Ralph and never let him get away with anything.

To bring this back to the iBook, right now I have no plans to use a Honeymooners background. But, again, that could change.

Any reason why the iBook won't get a signature Erik Youngren Honeymooners make-over?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just installed Gavin's theme on my PB... awesome pack! But knowing how Erik isn't fully into the more modern Apple stuff.. :D
Actually, I gave it a shot the other day. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be some big button in Candybar that says "swap out all the icons".

I tried one icon then and all it seemed to do was create some transparent icon inside Candybar. So, I reverted back. I might try again, IDK.

My other problem (not concerning this icon pack) is that I'm short two power supplies. I gave one of my power supplies to my daughter for her iBook. It means my other 17" PB is off. That's fine because the drive is failing, but I now have no adapter for the new iBook either.

Part of the reason I'm seeing this as just a fast "go" computer. Unfortunately, it means I have to take one of my power adapters because the battery is dead.

I have to say though that TenFourFox 31 works pretty well on it. I shudder to use it as a daily browsing driver because the screen is so damn small, but it works for what I currently am using it for.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Actually, I gave it a shot the other day. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be some big button in Candybar that says "swap out all the icons".

I tried one icon then and all it seemed to do was create some transparent icon inside Candybar. So, I reverted back. I might try again, IDK.

My other problem (not concerning this icon pack) is that I'm short two power supplies. I gave one of my power supplies to my daughter for her iBook. It means my other 17" PB is off. That's fine because the drive is failing, but I now have no adapter for the new iBook either.

Part of the reason I'm seeing this as just a fast "go" computer. Unfortunately, it means I have to take one of my power adapters because the battery is dead.

I have to say though that TenFourFox 31 works pretty well on it. I shudder to use it as a daily browsing driver because the screen is so damn small, but it works for what I currently am using it for.

Is TenFourFox 31 faster than 24? I found that CandyBar didn't always work and I had to change some of them manually. It isn't Gavin's fault but rather the fact that CandyBar doesn't follow the proper procedure for some apps. For instance, if you change the Finder icon it only changes the Dock icon and not the actual resource icons so if you get a message like emptying the trash it will show the old icon.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Is TenFourFox 31 faster than 24?
No. But it's close. 31 is the beta. 24 is the stable. 24.7 was just released this week and it's the last stable version before Kaiser begins work on the new beta and transitions the new stable to 31.

31 includes all the Australis crap that's in the newer versions of Firefox. Consequently it was a serious leap for me as getting my addons straightened around was a real hassle.

The Australis thing pushes the URL box into the Title bar. There is ZERO way to kill the title bar unless you use an addon. I finally found one that works, but in killing the title bar you also kill the shortcut to the URL box if you have the URL box in the Title bar (which is the default). Most of my browsing is done using the keyboard so that was a hitch for me. I ended up removing my Google Search bar and replacing it with the URL bar as it can do double duty. I'm waiting for one of my other addons to update because right now the All In One Sidebar is actually horizontal instead of vertical which is a big problem. Other addons I was actually able to remove. Although I did need to install the ClassicUIRestorer addon that lets you kill a bunch of the Australis stuff.

As a note to anyone still holding on to 24 to avoid Australis, you might as well make your peace now and move on to 31. Kaiser is getting ready to kill it once he makes 31 the stable version.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No. But it's close. 31 is the beta. 24 is the stable. 24.7 was just released this week and it's the last stable version before Kaiser begins work on the new beta and transitions the new stable to 31.

31 includes all the Australis crap that's in the newer versions of Firefox. Consequently it was a serious leap for me as getting my addons straightened around was a real hassle.

The Australis thing pushes the URL box into the Title bar. There is ZERO way to kill the title bar unless you use an addon. I finally found one that works, but in killing the title bar you also kill the shortcut to the URL box if you have the URL box in the Title bar (which is the default). Most of my browsing is done using the keyboard so that was a hitch for me. I ended up removing my Google Search bar and replacing it with the URL bar as it can do double duty. I'm waiting for one of my other addons to update because right now the All In One Sidebar is actually horizontal instead of vertical which is a big problem. Other addons I was actually able to remove. Although I did need to install the ClassicUIRestorer addon that lets you kill a bunch of the Australis stuff.

As a note to anyone still holding on to 24 to avoid Australis, you might as well make your peace now and move on to 31. Kaiser is getting ready to kill it once he makes 31 the stable version.

Well it isn't like 24 will suddenly stop working but may be unsecure, right?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well it isn't like 24 will suddenly stop working but may be unsecure, right?
I'd say right now it's secure. Maybe later on it won't be. It'll still work. You can still use FFX 1, 2 or 3 if you like and T4FX all the way back to version 4. My point was that if you're intending to stay current on PowerPC with the T4Fx browser then you aren't going to be able to avoid Australis. You might as well make the leap now before version 31 is made the current version.

Get everything squared away because it is a transition.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'd say right now it's secure. Maybe later on it won't be. It'll still work. You can still use FFX 1, 2 or 3 if you like and T4FX all the way back to version 4. My point was that if you're intending to stay current on PowerPC with the T4Fx browser then you aren't going to be able to avoid Australis. You might as well make the leap now before version 31 is made the current version.

Get everything squared away because it is a transition.

So new UI changes are coming? I am ready if that is the case...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So new UI changes are coming? I am ready if that is the case...
Yeah, mainly in the tab and toolbars. There's also now a giant button that gives you quick access to certain menu commands. I managed to move that into my bookmark bar (that's where I keep everything).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, mainly in the tab and toolbars. There's also now a giant button that gives you quick access to certain menu commands. I managed to move that into my bookmark bar (that's where I keep everything).

FF 29 and newer basically look like Chrome, as far as I'm concerned. It rendered my Perspectives add-on for SSL useless.

At least it isn't as ugly as Internet Explorer 8.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A few pics. Fullscreen, some toolbars and you'll note my problem with the All-In-One Sidebar. It's not even on the correct side although the setting is set for it (the right side)!

Attachments

• TenFourFox.png
    TenFourFox.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 85
  • TenFourFox 2.png
    TenFourFox 2.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 88
  • TenFourFox 3.png
    TenFourFox 3.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 88
  • TenFourFox 4.png
    TenFourFox 4.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.