Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos of a purported battery from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 (via Nowhereelse.fr, Google Translate) appears to show a capacity of 1,810 mAh for the upcoming device. If legitimate, that capacity would be a modest improvement over the 1,560 mAh battery in the iPhone 5s, and would be in line with a report earlier this month that estimated the 4.7-inch iPhone 6's battery to be between 1,800 and 1,900 mAh.

iphone_6_battery_1810.jpg
A capacity of 1,810 mAh would place the iPhone 6 behind competing phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the HTC One (M8), which were both released earlier this year. However, Apple's traditionally tight hardware and software integration may contribute to a greater overall battery life, as iOS 8 will likely be optimized for the iPhone 6 to allow for the best performance.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 at some point in September. The device will likely be released in two sizes of 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches, and is likely to feature a thinner profile with curved edges, a faster A8 processor, and an improved camera. It is currently unknown if the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions will launch simultaneously, as recent reports have suggested the latter will launch after October or early in 2015.

Article Link: New Photos of Purported iPhone 6 Battery Show 1,810 mAh Capacity

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Can someone with knowledge in the area please provide their opinion on how much of a boost (if any) this will provide taking into account a larger screen?

Does a 1810 mAh sound about right to keep the current battery life with a larger screen? Or is it impossible to tell?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As long as I get good battery life, I don't care what size battery goes into the iPhone 6.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So - it has a bigger battery and a thinner design and people are still complaining?

Sheesh. Just do us all a favour and get yourself a Note 3.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
As long as I get good battery life, I don't care what size battery goes into the iPhone 6.

So does this not mean you should be concerned with the size of the battery? I'm guessing we're not going to see radical changes in optimisation of battery life due to the software, so increasing the size is the next logical step?

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Sounds like it'll have similar battery life as the iPhone 5s at best, since any increased lifetime from that minor bump should easily be eaten up by the larger display. Unless iOS 8 does something differently than iOS 7.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Well, it's an increase for a start.

I charge my iPhone every night so it isn't really an issue for me.

iOS 8 GM will improve battery life so all is well, for me at least!

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Here come the complainers.

What the heck do you want people to say? Nice size battery? Battery life will be equal to or greater than iPhone 5s? Or better yet not comment at all because there's nothing nice to say?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Well, lets hope that there are some major power efficiency gains in the A8 and iOS 8.

The larger screen will likely increase power draw slightly, but nothing like 15%. So we should see *some* improvement, at least.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Urgh. When will Apple take battery iPhone life seriously!

iOS 8 will show us which apps are draining battery most, but it's basically them passing the buck going 'not our problem, it's that app', when they really should be giving as much battery capacity as they can.

But no, this Apple is obsessed with making their devices stupidly thin and compromising battery.

While the A8 may be more efficient, I doubt we'll see any significant energy savings to justify Apple not going for a higher capacity battery.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This has always confused me. Why doesn't Apple just shove in a 2800 mAh battery like Samsung does? Surely the easiest way to increase battery life is to do that, and I can't imagine it's due to physical limitations because the size of the S5 battery isn't that much bigger than the iPhone's.

Anybody know?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
So does this not mean you should be concerned with the size of the battery? I'm guessing we're not going to see radical changes in optimisation of battery life due to the software, so increasing the size is the next logical step?

No, there is no point in being concerned, because no-one knows what kind of solutions there will be in terms of power management. Apparently iOS8 has better power management features, meaning the same battery will last longer than in a iOS7 device. In addition we don't know whether the screen will be relatively less power hungry than older screens.

What is relevant is whether the phone can survive one day (say 16 hours) of heavy use. If it does that than it is ok. With current technology it is not possible to demand more, because the next frontier will be two days (40 hours -> 24 hours + 16 hours). Everyone will plug in their phone during the night. Whether it has had a heavy use day and will still have 2 or 6 hours of juice won't matter to anyone because we will be sleeping while the phone charges.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds like it'll have similar battery life as the iPhone 5s at best, since any increased lifetime from that minor bump should easily be eaten up by the larger display. Unless iOS 8 does something differently than iOS 7.

You gained less than 300mah but increased screen size by 0.7". I don't even think it would break even. And what about the competition?

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
After managing my dwindling 4s battery with 3 hour capacity and my ifixit battery replacement with 5 hour capacity, this will be miraculous.

I won't have to keep my 5.5 iphone 6 on max dim, toggle wifi, won't need opaque menus, no need to turn off multi-tasking, no need to plug in when I use gps....man I can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.