Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Dear OS 9 stalwarts,

I want to be able to use OS 9 as the main operating system on my TiBook 1Ghz, and so far it's treating me well in every way except one: my PCMCIA wireless adapter, a Belkin F5D7010 802.11g (v1 Broadcom) card, will not connect to modern wireless networks with password encryption. It recognizes them with no problem, it's actually connecting that's the issue. I don't need to do extensive web browsing, but it would be nice to be able to look something up from time to time while writing. Does anyone know a solution for this? Am I stuck with exclusively WEP or non-encrypted networks?

Note: the Belkin card works just like an Airport card in Tiger (albeit with wireless G speeds), with plug-and-play connectivity.

Thanks again for all the help!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dear OS 9 stalwarts,

I want to be able to use OS 9 as the main operating system on my TiBook 1Ghz, and so far it's treating me well in every way except one: my PCMCIA wireless adapter, a Belkin F5D7010 802.11g (v1 Broadcom) card, will not connect to modern wireless networks with password encryption. It recognizes them with no problem, it's actually connecting that's the issue. I don't need to do extensive web browsing, but it would be nice to be able to look something up from time to time while writing. Does anyone know a solution for this? Am I stuck with exclusively WEP or non-encrypted networks?

Note: the Belkin card works just like an Airport card in Tiger (albeit with wireless G speeds), with plug-and-play connectivity.

Thanks again for all the help!
My son's original Airport card in his TiBook (Leopard, 10.5.8) will do WPA. But the encryption on my router has to be TKIP. If I set it to AES he cannot connect.

If you can change that setting in your router, may be worth a try.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Also, you could get a WiFi->Ethernet adaptor to maintain wireless capabilities on OS 9. Plus, its a bit faster than an AirPort card. Also, you are very lucky to have a 1GHz TiBook *mops drool*.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I got one of these to hook up to my TiBook or my Sawtooth running OS 9

Wireless-N Universal Media Connector
WES610N_shadow_support.png

Works great, better than trying to hack a router for DDWRT and making it into a wireless bridge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.