Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seattle1999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Long story short, I was a complete idiot and put a Lightning charger in my mouth. I felt a slight tingle, but then I started getting really worried because the contacts are exposed and I touched them with my tongue. Is there a possibility that I hurt myself aside from the shock?

Thank you so much. I feel so embarrassed posting this.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Voltage alone will not usually kill you unless it's extremely high...I work in HVAC, mainly on the computer end of things now programming and stuff. But your regular oil burner transformers/ignitors on all furnaces are around 10,000 - 20,000 volts and techs get nailed by that all the time. Sure it will blast you across the room but your fine afterwards :D

*EDIT*

Oh and also, all it technically takes to electrocute/kill you on the current end of things is 0.1 amps. Not likely to happen, but it has happened thousands of times and that's why that number is the number settled upon.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ever put the contacts on a 9v battery on your tongue? I would think this is a similar feeling.

However, if the charger itself has a current leak like these third party chargers apple does not recommend, I would think it is possible to get a nasty shock.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Amps aren't there, don't worry. There is no residual effects on your body.

Aside from a choking hazard I'd advise you not to put electronics in your mouth. I'm probably the first member here to tell another member that. :)

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
The question I have... And am surprised no one has asked yet, is why the heck would you put the lightning connector end in your mouth anyway? Especially with it plugged into the wall. Was this a dare or something?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Long story short, I was a complete idiot and put a Lightning charger in my mouth. I felt a slight tingle, but then I started getting really worried because the contacts are exposed and I touched them with my tongue. Is there a possibility that I hurt myself aside from the shock?

In the service of my ongoing interest in...ah...interesting human behavior, would you mind explaining WHY you put a lightening charger in your mouth?

Purely professional interest, mind you....:rolleyes:

;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm sorry but I have to ask, why did you put this in your mouth?

Its low voltage so the tingle you felt is the worst of the shock. Still, its probably not the best idea to put anything in your mouth that charges devices, i.e., uses electricity.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I'm extraordinarily curious as well. Why?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No, it won't hurt you. It's five volts. A 9V battery is almost twice as much and kids routinely lick them without incident.

For electricity to hurt you, you need sufficient voltage to overcome the resistance of your body to generate enough current to hurt you. The current has to flow across a vital area such as your heart or brain. You have neither situation here, either with the lightning connector or a 9V battery.

And yes, *technically* it's the current that hurts you, and not the voltage. But sufficient voltage is required to push that current through you. It doesn't start to sting until around 30-40V or so, at least on dry skin.

Reactions: masotime

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
You might be in big trouble if you stick any part of a knock-off charger into your mouth. That might include being exposed to hundreds of volts.

Apple-approved equipment is probably safe enough. They will have thought about young kids whipping out a cable and having a chew. But those guys who cut corners and churn out cheap 'clones' don't care about that kind of thing.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida

I am not even going to go there and answer or ask the obvious. Good luck in the future with your experiments.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm willing to wager alcohol was involved. In any case you're still alive, you're fine. According to my parents, when I was a baby, I was sticking my fingers in wall outlets frequently, and I found ways to remove those plug covers. And I'm still here! :p

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Probably greater fear of metal poisoning over being electrocuted. And I doubt you lost any brain cells by doing this. But then again, not really sure how many you had before hand to try this.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I guess the question is where did you stick it before you put it into your mouth??

5 Volts is harmless enough. Have fun.... :eek:

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.