Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:35 AM   #1
nutmac
macrumors 68020

2.1-channel speakers with digital input

I am looking for a set of speakers with optical digital input. Nearly all seem to be 5.1- to 7.1-channel variety. I have a dedicated home theater for watching movies and listening to surround music. I find multi-channel speakers to be a bit too much for my home office, but I prefer to utilize digital audio connection just the same.

Creative's MegaWorks 250D seem to be one such product, but it seems to be discontinued and somewhat unattractive. Anybody know of any products? Or do I have to go with the receiver route?
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Dimwhit
macrumors 68000

Hey nutmac,

Sorry to bring up a 2+year old post, but it came up on my google search. Did you ever find what you were looking for? I'm looking for the exact same thing: a 2.1 speaker set with digital input that I can plug into my HDTV. Thought I'd see if you found anything worth recommending.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:02 AM   #3
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
You could always get a set of Monitors...they will offer much more Bass and it will be so much cleaner.

Check out the Behringer Truth's 2031A, it blue my Logitech-Z5500 away with more precision then my Shure SE530's
Old Feb 19, 2009, 05:44 AM   #4
colin-e
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
I am looking for a set of speakers with optical digital input. Nearly all seem to be 5.1- to 7.1-channel variety. I have a dedicated home theater for watching movies and listening to surround music. I find multi-channel speakers to be a bit too much for my home office, but I prefer to utilize digital audio connection just the same.

Creative's MegaWorks 250D seem to be one such product, but it seems to be discontinued and somewhat unattractive. Anybody know of any products? Or do I have to go with the receiver route?

There are quite a few products in the (nominally) "Pro Monitor" space, all the way from lightweight home studio gear like the Edirol MA-15D, all the way up to serious (especially in cost) pro equipment like Genelec. Better sell the Porsche to buy their stuff!

Note that most of the pro gear does not have a low-pass line out to drive a subwoofer, and is often pretty industrial in appearance.

The one exception to all this are the AVI products. The AVI ADM9.1 Stereo pair (sub optional), or upcoming Neutron 2.1 are lounge-friendly both in terms of size+finish, and interfaces, with optical digital in (+ line in), onboard DAC, remote control etc.

If they fit your budget, I think you'll find they fit your requirements almost exactly.

Regards: colin-e
colin-e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Sens
macrumors newbie

If anyone is still looking for 2.1 speakers with digital optical or coaxial inputs, you can read my post about it. I have found some models. Link
Sens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Not that it would make much sense, because the main reason for optical is that you have one cable instead of six or eight for 5.1 and 7.1.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice