Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim.vrakas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2014
Hey Guys! First post, hope you can help me out!

I'm working on repairing an iMac a friend gave me. Specs here:
Everymac

Current status:
Tested every stick of ram I have in each slot (I have 5 2GB Sticks)
Running some old laptop drive I had laying around (I don't have the HD temp sensor connected/don't have one)
Re-Seated all connectors, CPU, GFX module
Tried booting without anything plugged into logic board (except LCD,power,switch)

Issue: Mac will not boot (no chime, only LEDs 1+2 on, no LCD/backlight)(fans/HD/PSU/ODD only)
I can get it to boot, If I leave it unplugged an extended period of time (3+ hrs) It boots perfectly (even installed mavs). but after being on, it will not boot again, I have to leave it for 3 more hours.

TRIED:
AHT: gives me the same error in normal/extended mode: 4SNS/1/40000000: TH00-9.000 This error denotes the lack of a HD temp Sensor (I think) , this makes the fan blow on high, but should not result in this issue (should it?). I tried moving the ODD temp sensor to the HD conector, but to no avail. there are no other error codes in AHT, does that mean that there are no other errors, or that this is the first one it found?

I also tried discharging the capacitors in the PSU, this got me only a nasty shock (with it unplugged). The system would still not boot until I waited.

In addition, the time it takes to "recover" from the issue seems to be related to the time its left on. leave it on for while it takes longer to recover and boot up.

What else do you recommend I try?
THANKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.