Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terminate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Logo2014.png

SETI.Germany invites all BOINC teams to the SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2014. It takes place from Thu 15th August, 16.00 UTC, until Thu 29th August 2014, 16.00 UTC.
We cordially ask all team leaders to forward the invitation to their team. Information about the Wow! Race 2014, an exciting race concept and a registration form can be found here:
http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/anmeldung.php?&lang=en
SETI.Germany wishes you and your team members much fun with the Wow! Event 2014.

Many Greatings: Terminator

Last edited:

Terminate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Thanks, marialuiza. We try our best. ;-) We hope to see you and many other crunchers worldwide on our event page for a funny challenge.

Many Greatings: Terminator

Terminate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Hello HereBeMonsters,thank you that you join in the Event.

SETI.Germany invites all Members and Friends from MacRumors to the Wow Event.

Many Greetings: Terminator

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Ok ok, maybe one GPU GTX 780 ... Normally used to fold proteins but for some short time it can also search for aliens, joined "cancer".

Installed in parallel to my F@H client on Linux ... Will that work ? Need to wait a bit until one GTX get free and finish a WU, then I can try to start BOINC.
User ID etc I have from last year when I searched for few moments.

Sorry team 3446, my production rate will drop again ... Aber SETI.Deutschland ruft mich, alte Heimat ...

Terminate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Hello Christian,nice to see you on the event.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
And it looks like coexists with F@H on the same rig

F@H: 1CPU slot plus one GPU
SETI@Home: one GPU

Still wonder how proteins from aliens looks like ... Same amino acids ? :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
With my dual operation specially the CPU seems a bit more stressed

image.jpg

Had for short time F@H and SETI running on the same GPU, had to modify some config file with some [H]elp to exclude one GPU ;)

Now it's ready to search for Alf from Melmac :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
hey that's totally good -- other projects are also worthy! let us know how it goes!

Louis

Back to folding from my trip with the UFOs.

People are nice, had a good welcome in SETI-forum, I didn't feel like an alien :D
Lucky, they even spoke German (which I start to forget :eek:)

I joined the [H] team! but seems they only had three others on the event, SETI is not a priority for them.

Else I had a bit trouble to get work assigned in the middle, specially for GPU. As newbie it's a bit confusing. I also played a bit around the other BOINC projects on the fly (GPUgrid, WGC) while waiting for work, just for learning. F@H is easier (or let say: have more experience with it).

Most disturbing is the peer review of submitted results. One have to wait for the credit until someone else computed the same WU, I still have unconfirmed WU in my queue. Specially if I had my two GTX 780 in the race but need to wait for a slow CPU to confirm is a bit off. Makes it very difficult to judge the own performance on a day or week.

But hey, it's not for money so finally it doesn't matter.

Overall it was a nice experience :) but now back to business

Terminate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2014
Logo2014.png

The Wow! -Event 2014 is over. We have 838 registrations and 136 teams set a new record, and calculated total 463,349,836 credits.
SETI.Germany thanks all participants.

Congratiolation to all Winners:

http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/sieger.php?&lang=en

We would be delighted if you would join in 2015 and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.