Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've found that although I spend a lot of time gaming, in sandbox type building games I prefer creative mode. Why? Because these games are all ready huge time sinks, why make them larger by having to go out and actually gather the needed resources? I'd rather spend my time enjoying the creative aspects of the build.

I've recently purchased Space Engineers ($19 on Steam) and have chosen to go the creative route. (Purchased after posting the Space Engineers thread.) Looking at some of the behemoth space ships built within this game, I imagine most of them were built on Creative mode.

resizedimage638398-Space-Engineers-4.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
I always prefer survival mode myself. I feel that it's a lot more fun to create something under pressure. It gives you the sense of accomplishment, of earning what you've built through struggle, rather than just doing it and throwing it away when you're done.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I always prefer survival mode myself. I feel that it's a lot more fun to create something under pressure. It gives you the sense of accomplishment, of earning what you've built through struggle, rather than just doing it and throwing it away when you're done.

This.

Creative mode is not a game, its a weird 3D MSPaint. The challenge is not interactive and game-like.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Honestly I don't respect Minecraft as a survival game, but I enjoy building. I may eventually consider Survival on Space Engineers, but. Not while exploring its capabilities or for buding large showcase ships.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Throwing it away? All I do in Minecraft (which isn't a lot, maybe an hour a month) is carry on building on a map I started on when the game was in Alpha. I decided back then I wanted, without cheating, to build a long train going north. I didn't want the risk of losing my currently held items.

This.

Creative mode is not a game, its a weird 3D MSPaint. The challenge is not interactive and game-like.

Nothing weird about it. The challenge is to create big things, or cool looking things. Not just "things under pressure". A lot of games with creative-modes aren't game-like at all. Nor do they have to be. Having fun building something in a game environment is all you need sometimes.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Survival, generally. It forces me to be more creative about how I approach building structures, as I'm limited in my choice of materials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.