Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:40 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Manage your iPod from Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows with YamiP...

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Manage your iPod from Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows with YamiPod v0.91
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Why would you want to use this on Windows or OS X? Isn't iTunes the better option?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:00 AM   #3
baleensavage
macrumors 6502a

"Why would you want to use this on Windows or OS X?"

That and Apple will probably be shutting it down pretty quickly...
baleensavage is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Alex Cutter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuar
Why would you want to use this on Windows or OS X? Isn't iTunes the better option?
This is one of those situations where it would be helpful if you read the article before commenting.
Alex Cutter is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cutter
This is one of those situations where it would be helpful if you read the article before commenting.
I still don't get the advantage over iTunes on OS X (or even Windows)...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:17 AM   #6
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
I think the Tools>Advanced section might be useful, but the from what I read on the websites FAQs, maybe the ability to use your OSX formatted iPod on a Windows machine at work for example and update your music, manage playlists etc might be useful to some.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
I think the Tools>Advanced section might be useful, but the from what I read on the websites FAQs, maybe the ability to use your OSX formatted iPod on a Windows machine at work for example and update your music, manage playlists etc might be useful to some.
1) It doesn't say anything like that in the above linked article...

2) Even if it is so I still don't find it useful...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:07 PM   #8
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Well for one thing it allows you to copy Music from the iPod onto a computer, which iTunes doesn't allow you to do.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:07 PM   #9
mwpeters8182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It can be run directly from the iPod, requiring no installation the host computer
For machines that you aren't able to install iTunes on (my computer in the lab is an example), this might be useful.

MP
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:17 PM   #10
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
1) It doesn't say anything like that in the above linked article...

2) Even if it is so I still don't find it useful...
Ahem.... I looked at this bit, http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/docs/faq/faq14.php and maybe I joined the dots too fast , and I haven't tried it yet either...but I think it will be useful when I do
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Well for one thing it allows you to copy Music from the iPod onto a computer, which iTunes doesn't allow you to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpeters8182
For machines that you aren't able to install iTunes on (my computer in the lab is an example), this might be useful.
And the legal applications for wanting to do this are...?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:40 PM   #12
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And the legal applications for wanting to do this are...?
I not having a go, but ...my PowerBook has my music collection on it, I back it up on my iPod. My PB dies, and I now I have to put all my CDs back onto another computer, because iTunes doesn't recognise this iPod, because it's linked to another computer. I can't drag my music off my iPod and onto my other computer to manage my music collection, but YamiPod will.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
I not having a go, but ...my PowerBook has my music collection on it, I back it up on my iPod.
You cannot consider that backup, if you have no means of getting it back (without dodgy 3rd party software, which there already exists plenty of, BTW). If you look at Apple's support pages you'll find lots of help on how to backup your music library, even ways to use your iPod to move your entire music collection from one computer to another...

Don't see what's so special with this particular piece of s...oftware (), apart from the fact it lets you "share" your music with yet another OS...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:48 PM   #14
greatdevourer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
I can't drag my music off my iPod and onto my other computer to manage my music collection, but YamiPod will.
Theres a folder called ipod_control:music with a load of F## folders in it. Those F## folders contain your music. However, to get to it you need to either use "go to folder" (can't remember how to do volumes), terminal (schlow) or Tinker Tool to make invisible folders visible
greatdevourer is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:53 PM   #15
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdevourer
Theres a folder called ipod_control:music with a load of F## folders in it. Those F## folders contain your music. However, to get to it you need to either use "go to folder" (can't remember how to do volumes), terminal (schlow) or Tinker Tool to make invisible folders visible
TFT, but I was using this as an example and it didn't come over that well anyway.
24C is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion