Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbebenelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
I just got a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, this is my 1st Apple so I'm very new to the operating system.

I have the touchpad set so I click with one finger, the problem I'm having is randomly when I touch the touchpad with my finger to click on something the arrow will jump to the left between an 1/8 to 1/4". It doesn't do it all the time it's intermittent. At times it jumps enough to where I have to move the pointer back to what I was clicking on and try again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what's going on? I have a bad feeling I got a dud.

This is my 1st post and I'm sorry it's for help.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
My MBPr just arrived last week, no issues with 'jumpy' touch pad.

Seeing that this is your first apple, you maybe touching the touchpad and rolling your finger, this will cause the touch point to slide. You could also be hovering another finger just over the pad, while it does a fantastic job at not reading hover touches occasionally static charge will get read and cause the mouse to jump a bit. The pad is multi-touch, so it can get confused and read both inputs.

Without actually touching your pad, we cannot really be very much help. If you believe you have a dud, contact apple returns within the 15 days for an exchange or refund.

sbebenelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thank you. It seems a lot better now that I've used it more. I think maybe I'm touching it with another finger. Gonna give it a couple days. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.