Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
With the recent sales results that shows the iPhone 5s is still outselling the newer Galaxy S5, I'm curious as to why you either picked or would pick the iPhone over the GS5. Spec for spec and feature for feature the GS5 is heads and tales above the iPhone in just about every category (1080P - 5.1" screen, 16MP camera, Killer battery life, expandable memory, etc.) and yet it's not outselling the iPhone... what does the iPhone still do better than The Galaxy S5 and Android KitKat 4.4.2?

Don't give me the tired old "android is a mess" argument, we aren't dealing with ginger bread or jelly bean here anymore. KitKat does almost everything well.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
The experience is better...The built quality is more accurate. The specs number is what doesn't matter. It's how they are made like the touch ID sensor is superior and the iPhone has a better low light camera. The software is optimized correctly. Samsung experience is a mess compared to other android phones.
The iPhone 6 will be amazing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Because it runs iOS.

Because all my content is already bought and paid for on the App Store/iTunes Store.

Because it will work seamlessly with my iPad/iMac.

Because I'm an apple fanboy.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Agreed. The iPhone touch sensor is miles ahead of anything the competition is offering, and leaves Samsung's half-hearted effort standing.

Another thing: if you have any other Apple equipment, e.g. iPad, Apple Computer, Apple TV... they work together brilliantly. This is set to get even better with forthcoming software updates.

Another thing: iPhone security is second to none. Android have instead cornered the malware market.

Another thing: Apple Support is second to none.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Don't give me the tired old "android is a mess" argument, we aren't dealing with ginger bread or jelly bean here anymore. KitKat does almost everything well.

You're right, Android is much better than it used to be. Unfortunately, Samsung ruins it with TouchWiz.

I bought an iPhone 5s because the Nexus 5 wasn't available when I needed a new phone. I didn't want another HTC One because the camera just didn't live up to the hype, and I didn't know enough about the MotoX to sway me that direction. To be totally honest Samsung isn't even on my radar.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
If I was going to get an Android phone, it wouldn't be a Samsung. Kitkat may be good, but not when you pile the bloat ware on top of it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The Samsung experieince is absolutely awful, and take it from me, I've had Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note, 2, & 3. I've had each one of those phones about 5 times too. The AMOLED screens look grainy and have bad image retention.

For the best Android experience, I'd go with the HTC one m8.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Bottom line it comes down to IOS vs Android..

I have tried/purchased pretty every flagship android device over the last 3yrs and it always came down to Android...I have now given up on trying anything new being released on the platform. I am much more interested in Windows Phone since i tried the Nokia 1520. The phone was absolutely perfect other than a few things that bugged me about the OS, which were fixed in the latest major update. That and the capacitive buttons really irritated me.

If Apple does not come out with a 5.5" screen i will probably switch to WP when the new flagship ones are released later this year. It's WP is very underrated and i think it will take a few years but it will catch on in popularity and sales. Even if apple does make one i may still switch.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Works better with the rest of my Apple products. I'm not too picky with specs (although there are some I would like to be better with the iPhone). I'm more concerned with how it works with the rest of my tech ecosystem.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Because I constantly see my friends having problems with and needing to reboot their Android phones. That doesn't make me want to join their world, considering I very rarely have problems with my iPhone.

I recognize that Android is much more customizable and hackable than iOS. I recognize that you can do unusual things with Android that you can't with iOS. *However* I value the stability of my phone and a smooth experience above all that.

I have plenty of other devices that I can hack on; for my phone I'll stick with iOS for now.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not interested in being a spec monger in the electronics gadget race.

IOS works better and easier for me and Apple support is second to none. With mostly iphones and ipads in the family and extended family IOS just seems to integrate very nicely.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I've been on iOS since the original iPhone and although I like I tinker and generally have an Android as a backup there's no way it could ever replace my iPhone as my daily driver.

I had the S5 for three days and by the time I took it back I was already frustrated with the stuttering scrolling and mulitple presses on the capacitive buttons it would take to get them to register. I can't recall a time that I had anything like that on an iPhone unless it was jailbroken and running too many tweaks. As has been mentioned, Android may be getting to where it needs to be but Samsung ruins the experience.

I've had my eye on the M8 for a while but I'm trying to hold off until the Nexus 6 is out.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Some reasons off the top of my head why I choose iPhone over Samsung:

1. Applications more polished

2. Control center available (and notifications show) on lock screen even with password enabled

3. Touch ID

4. iMessage

5. GPS is faster to lock on & more accurate

6. iCloud keychain

7. I can turn off LTE if not in an LTE area

8. I can decide not to upgrade OS if I don't want to

9. Apple store customer service

10. Guaranteed 5 years of hardware support

11. Text selection much easier

12. No ATT / Samsung bloatware

13. When putting an article I find in "reader" mode I can actually email the whole article to myself, instead of just the web page link

14. Hardware mute button

15. Shows my bluetooth headsets battery level in the status bar

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
I had a GS5 and it was fragile. Had it inside an Otterbox and the screen cracked when the phone was twisted in an accident. The iPhone is metal. Also I'm happy to go to a smaller phone.

Yes the battery sucks but I find myself wanting to use this phone more. Samsung is cheap crap.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Samsung call outgoing call quality is terrible so they are never even in the running. I don't need people saying "what?" to me at the other end of the line all the time.

If Moto X ran stock Android, had a good camera, and an SD slot (or at least 64GB on board) I would have stayed with Android, but since it didn't here I am with Apple. Motorola voice quality is usually (but now always (V551 sucked) stellar.

Last edited:

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
First and foremost because it has an IPS screen. I really dislike AMOLED screens and would never buy one. Secondly because I need reliable two way local (no cloud involved) syncing of contacts and calendars with my iMac.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I used the 5S and she uses to S5. I would never make the S5 my daily phone but I got to admit the camera and screens really nice.

iOS has the stuff that count beat and I will love to get my hands on the 6:p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With the recent sales results that shows the iPhone 5s is still outselling the newer Galaxy S5, I'm curious as to why you either picked or would pick the iPhone over the GS5. Spec for spec and feature for feature the GS5 is heads and tales above the iPhone in just about every category (1080P - 5.1" screen, 16MP camera, Killer battery life, expandable memory, etc.) and yet it's not outselling the iPhone... what does the iPhone still do better than The Galaxy S5 and Android KitKat 4.4.2?

I think the better question is, what does the iPhone still do DIFFERENTLY?

Assuming your argument of all things being equal then the only difference is OS. Android does not have iOS.

Now, you take an iPhone and you jailbreak it and you get the best of both worlds. Root an Android phone and you still have Android.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
First and foremost because it has an IPS screen. I really dislike AMOLED screens and would never buy one. Secondly because I need reliable two way local (no cloud involved) syncing of contacts and calendars with my iMac.

Oh yes this especially this! AMOLED looks horrible after a year. Yellow, splotchy dim and burned in all over the place. LCD with LED backlighting lasts forever and in general is much more readable outside.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think the better question is, what does the iPhone still do DIFFERENTLY?

Assuming your argument of all things being equal then the only difference is OS. Android does not have iOS.

Now, you take an iPhone and you jailbreak it and you get the best of both worlds. Root an Android phone and you still have Android.

This is the main reason. The OS. That's pretty
Much it.

The S5 may have better specs, but sit a 5s and S5 next to each other and see which one has more lag.

TouchID is much more accurate than that fingerprint scanner. Yeah the S5 may have more megapixels in the camera, but I can assure you it doesn't blow the 5s away in terms of picture quality.

The S5 isn't even close to the best Android phone. You have the HTC One that's better than the S5. Also the LG G3. But I can assure you the iPhone 5s is the best iOS phone... LOL

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I sold a S5 and went back to a 5S. Reasons.

1. Lagathon, forever killing apps to free up ram and to stop battery drain. Useless without a launcher and developer options enabled.
Having to re store means setting up all over again.

2. Speaker is crap.

3. Camera is sloooow.

4. Charge port a pain.

5. Touch ID? what touch id.

Battery is good but if you charge off a mac like i do it takes forever v 5S.

I had a M8 too, it is a nice phone but for most uses is only a 4.5" screen because of onscreen buttons. Notification light only blinks for 5 mins, and is a royal pain to sync with a mac. Not that the S5 is much better. It's Heavy.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
5s all the way. I can't stand the green tint of Samsung AMOLED displays. The heart rate monitor and the fingerprint sensor are jokes. If I were to pick an Android phone, I would go with the HTC One M8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.