Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about how the Best Skins Ever turned out?

• Total voters

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hi Guys,

So i thought I would share my new Best Skins Ever matte shield that I just purchased and recently installed on my Macbook Air 13" - 2014. I purchased the total body Best Skins Ever that came with pieces for the lid, the trackpad, the wrist rest area, the bottom, and the edges of the device. I only installed the top, the wrist area, the bottom, and the side pieces. The reason I chose not to install the trackpad is that it didn't feel as nice to use on top of the trackpad.

The install was a little tricky but I've used this before on an iPhone in the past so I was able to learn of installation tricks from that one and watched a few additional videos on YouTube. The solution that they instruct you how to make is quite simple and a necessity for installing the Best Skins Ever skin.

The matte finish is amazing on this! I've used the shiny material before, but this is my first experience with matte finish and I LOVE IT! I used to hate how the other type would get fingerprints everywhere and dirt would stick to it from time to time but it's not like that at all with the matte finish. The matte finish almost feels the same way the aluminum on the Macbook actually feels. It's quite amazing in my opinion.

I've attached some photos so you guys can check out the end result of my installation. It took me about 20-30 minutes to complete and I am pretty OCD about how my devices end up so that wasn't too long.

If you want to give them a try, their website is http://www.bestskinsever.com The matte finish Macbook Air 13" skin can be found at http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-air-13-inch-skin-2010-2013-model Sometimes they have promotions. At the moment, if you sign up for their newsletter you can get 20% but that may change over time. Hope you guys enjoyed my review and if you have any questions, let me know.

PgwBoYO.jpg

ve772Tu.jpg

d0HBrPX.jpg

oynxJIK.jpg

ckgkLch.jpg

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Looks pretty good and doesn't take way the sexy aluminium look of the MBA.

But, does it protect you from dents? or just scratches?

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Looks pretty good and doesn't take way the sexy aluminium look of the MBA.

But, does it protect you from dents? or just scratches?

It's only for scratches. I don't think it would help with dents. Hope I don't have to test that out either ;) lol

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
From experience they only really seem to get scratches on the bottom, the top is usually fine. So not sure if its worth getting this for the top?

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
From experience they only really seem to get scratches on the bottom, the top is usually fine. So not sure if its worth getting this for the top?

I had a MBP '09 and over the 4 years I had it I would get scratches up top as well cause I would lug it around in my backpack from class to class in college. I mean not like major scratches but definitely some surface scratches, you know?

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i have the glossy on my mid 2011 air and i'm very happy i did apply those skins. this company is also very kind in terms of customer service. i live in germany and my shipments got lost 2 times. every time they replaced my order without hassle. in the past i used several other skins from various companies and none was cut as precise as the best skins ever.

edit: no, i'm not affiliated to them. i just like their products.

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
i have the glossy on my mid 2011 air and i'm very happy i did apply those skins. this company is also very kind in terms of customer service. i live in germany and my shipments got lost 2 times. every time they replaced my order without hassle. in the past i used several other skins from various companies and none was cut as precise as the best skins ever.

edit: no, i'm not affiliated to them. i just like their products.

Yeah they are really nice! Have you had yours on the entire time? Has yours changed color overtime or anything?

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah they are really nice! Have you had yours on the entire time? Has yours changed color overtime or anything?

i have it still on since 2011. the sides on the left and right came a bit off around the headphone jack and the sd card slot because small surface. i just cut those parts away with a nail clipper. surprisingly the pointy ends to the tapered front are still intact. the palm rests turned slightly yellow but rather unnoticeable. i have a spare full body skin waiting for application.

maybe one tip: i also covered the black rubber feet with the skin. i didn't throw the circular cutouts away but put them on the feet. in this away i added the same amount of height to the feet that was added to the whole bottom. actually i added another layer with a second circle i roughly cut myself. positive additional side effect: imo the rubber feet are quite stiff and with the skin on they gained a nice grip depending on the surface.

another tip: i put some small strips onto the mag safe connector preventing the metal of the connector rubbing on the grey plastic in the port on the mba. in this way the port stays nice and clean. okay, i'm a nerd (insert ocd joke here).

check out the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 309

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
i have it still on since 2011. the sides on the left and right came a bit off around the headphone jack and the sd card slot because small surface. i just cut those parts away with a nail clipper. surprisingly the pointy ends to the tapered front are still intact. the palm rests turned slightly yellow but rather unnoticeable. i have a spare full body skin waiting for application.

maybe one tip: i also covered the black rubber feet with the skin. i didn't throw the circular cutouts away but put them on the feet. in this away i added the same amount of height to the feet that was added to the whole bottom. actually i added another layer with a second circle i roughly cut myself. positive additional side effect: imo the rubber feet are quite stiff and with the skin on they gained a nice grip depending on the surface.

another tip: i put some small strips onto the mag safe connector preventing the metal of the connector rubbing on the grey plastic in the port on the mba. in this way the port stays nice and clean. okay, i'm a nerd (insert ocd joke here).

check out the pics

Thanks for the pics! Looks really nice for a 2011. I'm actually really interested to see how well the matte finish will hold up after awhile. They seem like good quality skins.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the pics! Looks really nice for a 2011. I'm actually really interested to see how well the matte finish will hold up after awhile. They seem like good quality skins.

the matte looks definitely better than the glossy. do you use a skin on top of you track pad? i had to remove it because it reduced the sensitivity.

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
the matte looks definitely better than the glossy. do you use a skin on top of you track pad? i had to remove it because it reduced the sensitivity.

No I had it on there for an hour and decided to remove it. The sensitivity wasn't like how the standard trackpad is. It's glass anyway so I don't think it'll get messed up, you know? On my old MBP it lasted since 09 in great condition. I have the matte on my iPad as well and it really helped reduced glare and fingerprints. Some great stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.