Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Hello everyone,

So I have a ASM1061 PCI-E Sata III card I bought about two years ago. It's been in my 5.1 Mac Pro unused for pretty much the past two years. I just got a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD but I can't seem to get these two items to work together.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure the ASM1061 card was working just fine two years ago when I had a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD for a short period of time.

The SSD is mounted under the SuperDrive, using the Sata extension method. The SSD mounts but I can not erase or partition the drive. I get the following error "Disk Erase Failed, Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed." I was able to format the drive buy using the on-board SataII connection but once I connected the drive back to the ASM1061 card, it's not working again. It mounts but I am unable to write to it, or re-format the drive.

PCI-E Configuration:
Slot 4 - ASM1061 card (2 external ports, 2 Internal ports)
Slot 3 - Lacie USB 3.0 card (2 external ports)
Slot 2 - RocketRaid 622 card (2 external ports)
Slot 1 - GPU

Could it be that the firmware on the ASM1061 card is no longer supported by the current version of OSX 10.9.4?

Last edited:

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
So here's what I've tried so far, but with no luck.

• Removed all non-GPU cards except ASM1061.
  • Tried the ASM1061 in slot 2 (16x slot).
  • Tried the Sata cable on both ASM1061 internal ports.
  • Adjusted the jumper pin's on the ASM1061 to every possible arraignment.
  • Booted into OSX recovery (Disk Utility) but I get the same errors when trying to format/partition.

The drive works fine in the native SataII ports and a USB enclosure.
I actually have a second 1TB Samsung 840 EVO thats will eventually be installed in my MacBook Pro, so that being said I also tried the second drive in the Mac Pro to ensure it wasn't a faulty drive but the same thing is happening with the second drive.

Last edited:

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Agh, this is so frustrating!!! I think I will just buy a Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 or Sonnet Tempo card... Any suggestions on which one to get?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have the Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 working with a Samsung 840 in my 5.1 Mac Pro. The firmware on the SSD couldn't be upgraded when it was mounted on the card, it was necessary to plug it directly into one of the internal ports in order to update the firmware, other than that, no issues. The SSD (mounted on the Solo x2) is my boot drive and working flawlessly and fast.

I recommend the combo.

Lou

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I have the Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 working with a Samsung 840 in my 5.1 Mac Pro. The firmware on the SSD couldn't be upgraded when it was mounted on the card, it was necessary to plug it directly into one of the internal ports in order to update the firmware, other than that, no issues. The SSD (mounted on the Solo x2) is my boot drive and working flawlessly and fast.

I recommend the combo.

Lou
Thats great to hear, it seems like a great options. They're about $90 shipped it appears.

I was starting to consider a Sonnet Tempo Pro Plus, just in case I decided to run both SSD's in the MacPro but I'm not sure if I'm okay with spending another $240.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I had a $20 American Express gift card, so I decided to order the Apricorn Velocity Solo x2.I think this should take care of things. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.