Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several weeks, Samsung has released three different ads pitting its Galaxy S5 and its Galaxy Tab S against Apple's iPhone and iPad. Now the company is back today with a new anti-iPhone ad that highlights the Galaxy S5 as having the "screen your friends wish they had."

The spot depicts an iPhone user sitting next to a Samsung user, with the two discussing the rumored larger screen of the upcoming iPhone 6. "iPhone might be getting a bigger screen," the iPhone owner tells his S5-toting friend. "That hasn't happened yet?" the friend replies as the two go on to compare their phones.

You know that thing you've been waiting on for like two years and how it's supposed to be awesome and how it's going to blow your mind? Well, it's been here this whole time. But maybe you just like waiting.
Immediate gratification is an advertising tactic Samsung has used before, with its new ad harkening back to its well-known 2011 commercial series that depicted iPhone owners waiting in long lines for new iPhones while enviously eyeing Samsung devices. The ad also includes Samsung's tagline "The Next Big Thing is Here," which reportedly infuriated Apple in the past.

The company's Galaxy S5, introduced in back in February, includes a 5.1-inch display, but Samsung devices have had larger-sized screens for several years running. Apple is planning to address growing consumer demand for bigger displays with the iPhone 6, introducing two new models with 4.7 and 5.5-inch screens. The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is set to launch in September, while the larger 5.5-inch version may come somewhat later in 2014 or early 2015.

Article Link: Samsung Launches New 'Screen Envy' Anti-iPhone Ad

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Am I the only person left in the world that doesn't want a bigger screen? I think the size of the iPhone 5 is perfect.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
What a stupid commercial for an officially unannounced product. What if the entire campaign was a hoax by Apple (I know it isn't)? Besides, the iPhone screen isn't small anymore anyways.

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
It's funny no one likes these ads. I think they're not that different from the Mac vs. PC ads..

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Regardless of the bashing, this is just free advertising for apple, so like mentioned before, not everyone wants a huge screen.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
So what Samsung is saying is that more people have an iPhone than people have an Android?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
News flash Samsung: I don't want crappy Android software, or your terrible TouchWiz overlay.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
What a stupid commercial for an officially unannounced product. What if the entire campaign was a hoax by Apple (I know it isn't)? Besides, the iPhone screen isn't small anymore anyways.

Which is a tacit admission of the strength of the rumor mill. Where else in popular media are technology rumors acknowledged?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
no wonder Samsung missed their earnings and their executives had to give back their bonuses ... smh

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Dear Macrumors,
why don't you ask Samsung what the new iPhone is going to look like?
They seem to know so much about it, that they even do a commercial about it.

Cmon! It's about time! *looking at taped watch on wrist*

yosoytane

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
I believe i heard this before and the answer was “We’re not going to be the first to this party, but we’re going to be the best” – Steve

Samsung is so stupid making these ads, Apple could say the same about many things they did first. Its just sad, i guess thats why they are calling them SadSung. What they should do is an ad with their “TouchID” that would be hilarious.

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
In fairness to Samsung they've got a point, apple has been slow with bringing a variety of screen sizes to its line up (hopefully this will be over by september), but my major gripe with this ad is that Samsung showed no benefit to having a larger screen, they just showed the other guy answer a phone call, and walk off with a massive slab of plastic next to his face.
C'mon Samsung, if you're going to bash apple in these ads, at least try and make them clever.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think Samsung needs to get professional help over their Apple obsession. :D

And make no mistake, they're essentially calling iPhone users stupid. I wouldn't say that's the way to win people over and get new customers. But my guess is these ads aren't meant for average consumers; they're meant to get page views on tech sites and ignite flame wars in the comments sections.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
So samsung is trying to win over iPhone users by trying to make them feel 'dumb' about their purchase of an iPhone? Samsung, work on your marketing strategy :rolleyes: Especially since this small screen phone is currently beating the sales on your flagship phone :]

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
are those ads actually airing on tv in the states? i dont think ive seen an samsung ad on tv in germany in like forever

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.