Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I'll preface this thread by saying I realise it is a, "first world problem" and there are far more serious things to consider.

That said, when the iPhone made its debut, I was very excited as I bought into the whole converged device thing.

At that time, I had a fairly top end mobile phone, MP3 player & digital camera. The thought of combining all these and more into one device was highly appealing.

For someone like me, however, who wants to use these devices to their full potential, I have had to make many sacrifices.

I have a next to no movies on my phone, less apps and then I would like and a fairly average number of photos.

I do have the majority of my music collection stored, but not all & can't store any of the new purchases I've made over the last couple of years without messing around moving other music off the phone.

I realise that my needs are very different from many other owners, but I would like what was originally promised, a truly converged device with which I can embrace all of the features to the full extent without worrying about storage space.

In addition to the constraints on my music, the photo and video capabilities of the camera are improving with each iPhone iteration. This is great, but every time an improvement has been made, the storage requirements for each photo and movie are increased.

I used to change my iPhone whenever there was a storage capacity increase. This means I currently have a 4S 64GB which is beginning to show its age particularly with regard to battery life. I would have upgraded it long before now were a larger storage capacity available.

From what we've all read, I'm not confident that Apple will release a 128GB option in the 4.7" screen size. This will be very disappointing for me & with the extra demands that iOS 8 will place upon the battery of my 4S, it will be create a real dilemma as to whether or not I can wait for Apple to release a larger storage option which is not a phablet.

I have no interest in phablets.

Apple seem to be completely ignoring a section of their user base here who were in the very fortunate position to always purchase the top level storage platform & have been left unsatisfied since the 64GB models were introduced.

I hope the reports are all incorrect and that the 6 will come with a 128GB, 4.7 inch screen option

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The real question to me is will there be a 5.5 inch iphone. I'm not convinced. But if there is an 5.5 and a 4.7 inch iphone I don't see why it would be just one getting 128 gigs. It's both or nothing.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
While 128gb sounds cool, I feel like I wouldn't need it having iTunes Match.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Apple didn't restrict 128GB to just the iPad Air last year, so it's entirely possible to see them do the same for 2 (potentially) different sized iPhones.

. . . if there is an 5.5 and a 4.7 inch iphone I don't see why it would be just one getting 128 gigs. It's both or nothing.

Every report I've read so far has said 4.7" maxed at 64GB with 5.5" at 128GB.

I'd much rather you guys were correct though.

It's not as if the technology is that new now. I remember reading about 128GB smartphone memory made by Toshiba about 2 years ago.

Surely it's at a price point to make it appropriate for Apple's flagship now?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
A 128GB iPhone would cost way too much for the average punter. Way too much for the average sane punter too.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
A 128GB iPhone would cost way too much for the average punter. Way too much for the average sane punter too.

I appreciate that, but so did the 32GB & 64GB models before that. They were the top of the iPhone range.

If the top model 6 is 64GB, this will be the fourth iPhone model in a row held at this capacity.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I appreciate that, but so did the 32GB & 64GB models before that. They were the top of the iPhone range.

If the top model 6 is 64GB, this will be the fourth iPhone model in a row held at this capacity.

I did mean at Apple's prices :-(
They should give us 128GB for the price of 64.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Yeah and I'm pretty sure the 64 gb version sells a lot less than the 16 & 32 gb version so it wouldn't even make sense to sell a 128 gb version that most people wont buy.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Yeah and I'm pretty sure the 64 gb version sells a lot less than the 16 & 32 gb version so it wouldn't even make sense to sell a 128 gb version that most people wont buy.

If we followed that argument, then no technology would ever advance. There are always people prepared and in the fortunate position to pay more for the top end model of a new product. This then cascades down over time to become the standard that everyone can afford.

Up until the iPhone 4S, Apple would fairly regularly refresh the storage capacity cascading them down each time.

They maintained price points whenever they did this so the top end 16GB model cost roughly the same as the top end 32GB model when that was introduced & same again for the 64GB model.

. . . It's not as if the technology is that new now. I remember reading about 128GB smartphone memory made by Toshiba about 2 years ago.

Surely it's at a price point to make it appropriate for Apple's flagship now?

I've just found the article I was talking about and amazingly it was 3 1/2 years ago making it even more ridiculous that Apple might not include a 128GB offering with the upcoming 6;

Toshiba reveals 128GB smartphone memory - Feb 2011

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Since the iphone 6 has not been announced; all the claims in the media are so called rumors!

I sure there is a 50% chance at least for 128GB version. But if not; you can get the 5.5" model!

----------

Most people who buy the 16GB and 32GB are on contract usually! The 64Gb model sell to those who pay outright for it - like me! I have always purchased the model with the highest memory available! If the 128GB is available for the 4.7"; I will get it. But if it is offered only on the 5.5"; I will get that model!

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I hope (wishful thinking?) they'll double the storage space with iPhone 6 starting with 32GB, hopefully at the same price as 2013, keeping the 16GB for a "cheap" 5S model and 8GB for an even cheaper 5C.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I hope (wishful thinking?) they'll double the storage space with iPhone 6 starting with 32GB, hopefully at the same price as 2013, keeping the 16GB for a "cheap" 5S model and 8GB for an even cheaper 5C.

I hope that this is the case too & it would be consistent with what they did when they've increased the storage of the iPhone range in the past.

I'm encouraged by these recent articles in the tech press.

Article 1

Article 2

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
My 3GS, 4 and 5 has only had 16GB, and that's totally fine for me. Only have 3-5 albums, the rest is pictures. I stream all music through Spotify, and I don't watch movies on my phone.

The premium of an eventually 128GB iPhone can just not compete with a Spotify Premium account and having extra bandwith on your subscription. In the long run it would be cheaper to pay for that, instead of paying for a 128GB phone. Especially if you take into consideration that you don't need to buy new music with Spotify, as you get all the latest singles and albums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
My 3GS, 4 and 5 has only had 16GB, and that's totally fine for me. Only have 3-5 albums, the rest is pictures. I stream all music through Spotify, and I don't watch movies on my phone.

The premium of an eventually 128GB iPhone can just not compete with a Spotify Premium account and having extra bandwith on your subscription. In the long run it would be cheaper to pay for that, instead of paying for a 128GB phone. Especially if you take into consideration that you don't need to buy new music with Spotify, as you get all the latest singles and albums.

Different options work for different people, personally I have a large (all legal and paid for) existing music collection and about 75% of it is on my phone at the moment & I'd like it all to be.

I use Siri to play any album/song from my collection in the car.

It's not just the music though, I want to be able to take full advantage of the camera and video recording & media features on my phone without having to think about whether I have enough storage or not.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
I am in full agreeance with the OP. I was coming to the end of my contract around the time the 5s was released. The reason I didn't get the 5s was because there was no increase in storage. I too am having to manage my storage given that I've had my 4s for nearly 3 years. I didn't want to be locked into another 64g storage device ie the 5s for another 2 years. I'm hoping like hell the 6 has 128g or I'm gonna have issues.

Surely Apple can't expect its users to maintain 64g for 4 years when all the data and content are getting bigger.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I have a 16GB iPhone 5S, and about 8GB of free space.

Spotify, iTunes Match, Netflix, iTunes in the cloud, iPlayer, etc etc And living in an area with really fast unlimited data has meant I don't need anything storing on my iPhone for offline use.

And I think things will continue to go in that direction more and more.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In my humble opinion: no. The 4.7" iPhone 6 will likely have 16, 32 and 64 GB internal storage options.

However, the 5.5" iPhone 6 may have 32, 64 and 128 GB internal storage options, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.