Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Images Depict Possible iPhone 6 Lightning/Headphone Flex Cable, Rear Shell

With the 4.7-inch iPhone entering mass production this month, part leaks and rumors surrounding the device are beginning to pick up. Several different internal and external parts said to be destined for the iPhone 6 have surfaced and today, Apple.club.tw [Google Translate] has shared images depicting the flex cable for the Lightning and headphone parts along with another image of the iPhone 6 rear shell.

The flex cable said to be for the iPhone 6 includes the headphone jack on the far left, a microphone next to that, and the Lightning port located on the middle of the part. It looks very similar to the Lightning/headphone flex cable designed for the iPhone 5s, but the headphone jack has dual screw holes towards the top of the part, a variation from the iPhone 5s design.

These two holes appear to accurately line up with the dual holes in the bottom left of the rear shell of the device, suggesting the headphone jack would fit correctly into the iPhone 6 rear shell and lending credence to the authenticity of the part.

As for the rear shell, it appears very similar to previously shared images of the iPhone 6 rear shell, including a near-completed rear shell with embedded Apple logo that surfaced yesterday. Like that shell, this one features an iPad-style embedded Apple logo, clear cutouts for the camera and flash, and very prominent antenna breaks.

Yellow circle indicates two holes that match the holes on the headphone jack of the flex cable, red circle indicates the difference in screw hole location between iPhone 5s/iPhone 6.
Some reports have speculated that the embedded Apple logo is designed to light up, but it is more likely that the embedded logo is for aesthetic and/or radio transparency purposes.

As we creep closer to the prospective September launch date of the iPhone 6, part leaks may grow even more frequent. Thus far all part leaks have centered around the 4.7-inch iPhone, and this is because it is believed to be entering mass production ahead of the 5.5-inch version. The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may enter production in August or September according to rumors, which means 5.5-inch part leaks could pick up over the next month or two as well.

Article Link: Images Depict Possible iPhone 6 Lightning/Headphone Flex Cable, Rear Shell
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

<Insert comment about those terrible antenna bars here>
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:33 PM   #3
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816

All parts leaks have centered around the 4.7" iPhone because that's the only one that actually exists.
JBaker122586 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Parts are parts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Good lord September can't come soon enough.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:35 PM   #6
penajmz
macrumors 65816

Cannot believe those antenna bars...
penajmz is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:36 PM   #7
pmau
macrumors 6502a

Same casings ... no news ... I'd like to sleep 6 weeks.
pmau is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:37 PM   #8
sup3rb
macrumors newbie

Rumors spoil the fun, even if its true . Same thing happened with i5 and i5s. Please enough with these rumors.
sup3rb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:40 PM   #9
SMIDG3T
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rb View Post
Rumors spoil the fun, even if its true . Same thing happened with i5 and i5s. Please enough with these rumors.
Are you actually serious?

What is this site called?

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
SMIDG3T is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It's called MacRumors for a reason.
Blorzoga is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:41 PM   #11
amaximapps
macrumors newbie

But those antenna inserts....
amaximapps is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:42 PM   #12
rossjgoodman
macrumors newbie

No parts for the 5.5 inch yet? I wonder why ...
rossjgoodman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:43 PM   #13
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's easier to stay off the internet altogether than to tell web sites to stop posting rumors.
madsci954 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:44 PM   #14
The Barron
macrumors regular

Yes, but....

Quote:
I too love surprises. However, as people are starting to mention here, this is the Mac RUMORS board.

It'd probably be best to stay clear, like a spoiler alert for a huge sports match you can't view live e.g World Cup, Super Bowl, TDF, World Series, etc. Just saying.

It's always great to have something to look forward to.
The Barron is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:45 PM   #15
yanki01
macrumors 68000

i'm willing to bet it will not come out with those hideous bands. surly someone who was in charge of the design see's what we're seeing....right?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:47 PM   #16
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
i'm willing to bet it will not come out with those hideous bands. surly someone who was in charge of the design see's what we're seeing....right?
Just like how they got rid of the hideous half glass in the iPhone 5 everyone hated until it was announced, or the hideous lines on the side of the iPhone 4 that everyone screamed about until they announced it, or the disgusting plastic in the 3G that everyone screamed over until it's release.
goobot is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:47 PM   #17
xero9
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker122586 View Post
All parts leaks have centered around the 4.7" iPhone because that's the only one that actually exists.
Given the choice, I really don't know which one I'd pick. Like others have said, if the 5.5 was a premium version, I'd go for it, but if they're identical, it's tough to say.

Reading your comment though makes me wonder if the 5.5 will even be a reality. It very well might now be.
xero9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Regarding the bands, we still have not seen a rear shell with the FCC markings, model numbers, etc. These are likely prototype shells.

That said, I don't recall prototype leaks being significantly different than the final builds - at least not enough to indicate that the bands will go away.
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:50 PM   #19
xero9
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Just like how they got rid of the hideous half glass in the iPhone 5 everyone hated until it was announced, or the hideous lines on the side of the iPhone 4 that everyone screamed about until they announced it, for the disgusting plastic in the 3G that everyone screamed over until it's release.
Exactly. I'll be honest, I thought the leaked pictures of the iPhone 4 was ugly. Was an awesome looking design in person though.

Personally, I think the bands are ass ugly and I really hope they aren't in the final product. That said, if they are, I hope they grow on me.
xero9 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:51 PM   #20
jonblatho
macrumors regular

Quote:
You do realize you're on MacRumors, right?
jonblatho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:52 PM   #21
JPIS
macrumors member

Get us off the trail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
You're right. Hopefully Apple's engineers are just sending out shills all over China because they know the rumor sites are in feeding frenzy mode leading up to September.

I'll bet Tim et al have all the factory workers sequestered in Internet-less environments as they slave away, whoops, produce the new iPhones. They leak out bogus images & reports on a now daily basis to just throw us all off. The surprise(s) will come.

Heck, What would Steve do?
JPIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:52 PM   #22
ashton18
macrumors Demi-God

Why would they get rid of the dual tone flash?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:52 PM   #23
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
Regarding the bands, we still have not seen a rear shell with the FCC markings, model numbers, etc. These are likely prototype shells.

That said, I don't recall prototype leaks being significantly different than the final builds - at least not enough to indicate that the bands will go away.
There is a reason we haven't seen the FCC markings - the US government just made it so they can be digital and not printed on small electronics.

See: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/11/apple-fcc-labels/

Quote:
Currently, the FCC requires any device that wants its certification to have a nameplate or etched label that displays an ID and approval from the agency. Today, the FCC has loosened its rules (via MultiChannel) regarding labeling, allowing manufacturers to bypass etching FCC labels on its devices, like Apple's iPhone.

Last edited by FreeState; Jul 22, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added link to article
FreeState is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:54 PM   #24
white4s
macrumors 6502a

will be the ugliest iphone yet
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:54 PM   #25
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton18 View Post
Why would they get rid of the dual tone flash?
Good question.

Prototype and/or they found a way to get the dual tone into the circle shape rather than the current elongated design?
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion