Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

FXNOW Channel With Simpsons World Content Coming to Apple TV

The Apple TV may gain a new FXNOW channel that includes Simpsons World content, according to TV writer Jason Lynch who tweeted the news yesterday (via iLounge). Lynch said the FXNOW channel will come to the Apple TV, Roku, and other devices within the next 12 months.

FXNOW is the on-demand portion of the FX, FXX, and FXM television channels, all of which are owned by the Fox Entertainment Group. The FXNOW Apple TV channel will reportedly include content from The Simpsons, branded Simpsons World, which offers all 552 episodes of The Simpsons along with additional content. Simpsons World, debuting in October, will allow fans to search for and watch any episode or clip of The Simpsons on demand on FXNOW.

According to reports, Simpsons World will also allow users to create playlists of episodes and share favorite scenes, features that will likely make their way to the Apple TV version of the channel. FXNOW with Simpsons World currently requires cable authentication and is limited to FXX subscribers, and the Apple TV version will require a cable subscription as well.

Currently, supported cable providers for the existing FXNOW channel include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, and Time-Warner. Simpsons World access will also be available through the FXNOW app for the iPad.

Article Link: FXNOW Channel With Simpsons World Content Coming to Apple TV
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:39 PM   #2
herocero
macrumors regular

Marathon!

Also get ready for this doozy of a marathon . . .

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fxx-...ce-1201265856/
herocero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:39 PM   #3
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

App Store!

Stop adding channels and let us pick for ourselves...don't understand why Apple allows this on the Mac/iPhone/iPad but not the Apple TV.

Makes NO SENSE.

Cool for the Simpsons, but of course you need a cable subscription. iTunes needs a new/tv show video streaming service. People would pay.
zedsdead is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Woo Hoo!

I love The Thompson's.

Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:48 PM   #5
bushido
macrumors 603

ugh requires cable provider login. WHYYYY
bushido is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:50 PM   #6
k1121j
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
agreed
k1121j is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:14 PM   #7
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

GREAT! Oh wait it sucks for me because I have Charter Communications and still can not access HBO Go either, maybe if Apple was smart they would just add Amazon Prime already or start their own streaming service.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:18 PM   #8
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
I agree, this is pointless for anyone interested in cutting the cable. It's even more annoying that I can't edit the 3 dozen icons that I'm not able to and will never use.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:27 PM   #9
kwikdeth
macrumors 6502

Pointless and will sit unused on my appleTV due to cable subscription requirement.
kwikdeth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:39 PM   #10
ironman159
macrumors regular

At least in the States there is the possibility of someone using those 327834 new channels added every month to the Apple TV. I live in Costa Rica where the only app that works is Netflix and the rest are useless.
ironman159 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:39 PM   #11
VeryVito
macrumors newbie

Sigh...

I've actually been weaning myself off the whole iTunes ecosystem lately in anticipation of the new set-top box I plan to buy this September (the ATV2 is getting long in the tooth). The only requirements I have are that it allow third-party apps and not force-feed me 24/7 Cricket News and a dozen lookalike "channels" that require me to have a cable subscription (if I had cable, what in #$@^%'s name would I need the apps for??).

It's really beginning to look like whatever my new box turns out to be, it's not likely to be "Designed in California by Apple."

It's a real shame that Apple has allowed its once-promising "hobby" to turn into a waste of a good HDMI input.
VeryVito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:40 PM   #12
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I agree, this is pointless for anyone interested in cutting the cable. It's even more annoying that I can't edit the 3 dozen icons that I'm not able to and will never use.
You can edit/hide the channel icons under Settings/Parental Controls.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:47 PM   #13
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Wait what now? Are you sure? In settings, there is a place to show or hide the various channels that would appear on the TV.
SmileyBlast! is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:49 PM   #14
critter13
macrumors regular

get over it

content owners aren't going to give up content for free. until there is a paid streaming package that apple offers up, you will not see major networks have apps without cable logins. I know we all want it but seriously it is time for people to wake up. Why would FX built an app for appleTV and have all their content available for free? Cable companies would lose subscribers which means FX would lose money.

Until there is enough traffic to convince advertisers to spend a lot on ads for streaming properties, networks will keep requiring a login.

----

you can hide apps in parental controls, stop whining about getting channels added that you might not like. hide them.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 04:52 PM   #15
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Any Simpsons episodes I would want to watch I have already ripped or downloaded due to them dragging their feet on this for so long. I imagine a large portion of their audience has as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
if Apple was smart they would just add Amazon Prime already or start their own streaming service.
Amazon is likely refusing to give rights to Prime or asking entirely way too much for it since they have competing devices for the TV, tablets, and phones.
ProVideo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:05 PM   #16
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Too late. There's already a (probably illegal) site with every single Simpsons episode on it, plus there are DVDs.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:06 PM   #17
skinned66
macrumors 6502

More subscriber/geoblocked nonsense.

I'll always have podcasts and airplay I guess - and not much else.
skinned66 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:32 PM   #18
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Finally. I am glad for this news. But sadly it will probably say I can't use it even though my cable sub would meet the requirements. Happens with all the Channel apps.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:58 PM   #19
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
Wait what now? Are you sure? In settings, there is a place to show or hide the various channels that would appear on the TV.
They made it even simpler in a recent update: just press and hold the select button until the icons wiggle, then press play/pause, and it will give you an option to hide that icon.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT200126?viewlocale=en_US

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:09 PM   #20
kds1
macrumors 6502

Yet another channel that I will hide....

Cable subscription required? Who cares.
kds1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:58 PM   #21
SHNXX
macrumors 6502a

At this point, Apple TV is really a flawed product.
The "hobby" clearly needs more attention.
SHNXX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:44 PM   #22
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Because it's a CABLE channel.
2010mini is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:09 PM   #23
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010mini View Post
Because it's a CABLE channel.
It's an Internet channel; it's on-demand (and the ATV doesn't have a cable tuner). But allowing people to subscribe to the channel separately is apparently too sensible for Fox.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:16 PM   #24
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I hate when I read these types of stories and then it turns out it requires cable.
Wolfpup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:31 PM   #25
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
It's an Internet channel; it's on-demand (and the ATV doesn't have a cable tuner). But allowing people to subscribe to the channel separately is apparently too sensible for Fox.
Fox already has agreements in place with cable/sat companies that paid them a LOT of money for rights to that content. You think the cable companies wouldn't balk at fox offering the same content for less to someone else?
2010mini is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion