Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations

Apple is facing a class action lawsuit in California over a number of alleged Labor Code violations, with the company being accused of not providing timely meal breaks, timely rest breaks, and timely final paychecks, reports TechCrunch.
Quote:
Plaintiffs bring this Class Action against Defendants to recover for, among other things, failure to provide meal and rest periods, failure to furnish accurate itemized wage statements, and failure to pay timely wages on the end of employment, interest, attorneys' fees, penalties, costs, and expenses on behalf of themselves, the Plaintiff Class, and the Plaintiff Subclasses.
Originally filed in December of 2011 by four former Apple retail and corporate employees in San Diego, the lawsuit was certified as class action yesterday and could affect up to 20,000 current and former Apple employees in the state of California.

According to the filing, which demands a jury trial, employee complaints cover a wide range of possible labor code violations. One complaint, for example, cites employees having to work for five hours straight without a meal break, while another complaint suggests that Apple took several weeks to send out a final check to multiple employees.

The lawsuit asks for compensatory damages and restitution of all monies due to affected employees from unlawful business practices, along with interest, but it does not specify a damages amount.

Along with this new class action lawsuit, Apple is embroiled in a class action lawsuit with Apple retail employees who allege that Apple's bag checking policies have resulted in lost wages, a suit that also accuses Apple of violating state labor laws.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Bayshun
macrumors member

Just about every major retail company goes through this. It looks like it's Apple's turn.
Bayshun is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3
saberahul
macrumors 68040

In this particular case, all I can say is that I am not surprised.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:04 PM   #4
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Sounds like grad school
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:04 PM   #5
iCore24
macrumors 6502

You would think a company with 170 billion dollars in the bank and makes a butt load of money every quarter would pay and treat there employees very generous$$$
iCore24 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:04 PM   #6
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

what are they going to get? a couple hundred bucks after taxes? doesn't seem like its worth the head ache.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:06 PM   #7
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

but how come at every genius bar, the Apple genius guy is always super duper happy to fix my I-could-have-just-Googled-the-solution problem?
farewelwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Joelist
macrumors member

Five whole hours without a break? Poor babies. Those of us who routinely go 8+ without one really feel for them....
Joelist is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Bjb568

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCore24 View Post
You would think a company with 170 billion dollars in the bank and makes a butt load of money every quarter would pay and treat there employees very generous$$$
They do.
Bjb568 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:11 PM   #10
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
but how come at every genius bar, the Apple genius guy is always super duper happy to fix my I-could-have-just-Googled-the-solution problem?
Maybe because they realize that not everyone is tech savvy, desire to help their customers, or (gasp!) enjoy their job?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Oracle1729
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
what are they going to get? a couple hundred bucks after taxes? doesn't seem like its worth the head ache.
But how else can a handful of slime-ball lawyers walk away with $200 million for a year of work?

US mass tort law is a bad joke.
Oracle1729 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:13 PM   #12
critter13
macrumors regular

5 hours without a meal break that would be 7am-noon?!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:14 PM   #13
ownamac
macrumors regular

Wonder how much the plaintiffs' attorneys will make.
ownamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:15 PM   #14
macducky313
macrumors newbie

These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.
macducky313 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:15 PM   #15
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjb568 View Post
They do.
And yet they have apparently violated some parts of the Labor Code.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macducky313 View Post
These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.
The employees didn't come up with the Labor Code...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:17 PM   #16
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

First in China, now in the USA.
RedOrchestra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:17 PM   #17
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Ungrateful. Apple at least gave them a job, in this economy.
mtneer is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Wow, no meal for 5 hours?? What's the world coming to??

Such an overly litigious society made up of ungrateful cry babies.
Karma*Police is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:19 PM   #19
henryhbk
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to henryhbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Five whole hours without a break? Poor babies. Those of us who routinely go 8+ without one really feel for them....
Seriously as a doctor, 5 hours is playtime. I do get pretty cranky after 18 though...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:21 PM   #20
brewcitywi
macrumors regular

Typical

Every company, big or small, goes through things like this. In this case, the things that apple allegedly did wrong seem a bit trivial.
brewcitywi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Bjb568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
And yet they have apparently violated some parts of the Labor Code.

----------

The employees didn't come up with the Labor Code...
Meh... I don't see anything an ice cream cone can't fix. Boo hoo, little spoiled kids and their labor laws.
Bjb568 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:25 PM   #22
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

WOW ... the Apple "can do no wrong" fanboys are now into dissing the retail employees - doesn't get much lower than that.
RedOrchestra is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:25 PM   #23
madsci954
macrumors 68000

1) 5 hours without a meal break? Ooooooooh nooooooooo

2) 2011? Wasn't this during Browett's term, when all the cut backs were going on?
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:26 PM   #24
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Along with this new class action lawsuit, Apple is embroiled in a class action lawsuit with Apple retail employees who allege that Apple's bag checking policies have resulted in lost wages, a suit that also accuses Apple of violating state labor laws.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations
Lost wages? You mean like how my Apple store manager sister have caught and fired employees stealing stuff in their bags?
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:26 PM   #25
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
or (gasp!) enjoy their job?
exactly my point regarding this MacRumors article.
farewelwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion