Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a coordinated release today, a number of publications have released official overviews of the latest OS X Yosemite beta build alongside word of Apple's plans to open up the public beta tomorrow, July 24. As noted by The Loop, the public beta of Yosemite will be the same build released to developers on Monday.
The public beta version of OS X Yosemite is the same version released to developers on Monday, so to start off, consumers and developers will be running the same software. However, the developer version of Yosemite will be updated more often over the next few months than the public beta version. This is so developers can continue to test their software with the latest operating system available. Consumers really don't need updates that frequently.
yosemite_public_beta_machines.jpg
As far as the overviews designed to bring members of the public beta up to speed as the program launches, the general feeling is positive. Some note, however, that many of Yosemite's best features involve integration with iOS 8 and will be inaccessible during the public beta as the program covers only OS X. Here are a few snippets:

- Dana Wollman, Engadget
For anyone who thought OS X was getting stale, that it was evolving a little too gradually, you'll definitely want to check out Yosemite: It ushers in a new, iOS-inspired design, along with some new, iOS-like features. In my week of testing, I've found the updated look to be more visually pleasing than the previous version, yet still easy to navigate. The new features are generally welcome too, though some admittedly feel more granular than others.
- Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch
We've had some time with the pre-release build ahead of today's launch, and our time spent with the next version of Apple's desktop OS has proven one thing: Yosemite offers a host of great new features for users new to Mac and experienced Apple fans alike. Even the pre-launch build feels like a solid step-up from Mavericks, which bodes well for the finished result that should launch once Apple irons out the bugs and incorporates user feedback from its beta test program.
- Lauren Goode, Re/code
I like its new design, the small improvements in Safari and Messages, and what appear to be promising fixes in Mail. It has already made a better impression on me than Mavericks did right out of the gate. But it's also still very much a work in progress.
The official launch of OS X Yosemite to the general public will come later this year, likely in the October timeframe. The public beta program is limited to the first one million users to sign up on Apple's site.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Public Beta Launches Tomorrow, July 24

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Finally! Signed up for it awhile ago, can't wait. Definitely going to use Dark-Mode 24/7.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
WAHOOOO! YES! Bring on tomorrow! Presumably 10AM PST 24th July, meaning 6PM GMT 24th July?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That seems like a very bad idea. I mean iOS8 won't be a public beta so two separate iClouds will confuse and anger many people

Finally! Signed up for it awhile ago, can't wait. Definitely going to use Dark-Mode 24/7.

i doubt that, the implementation is pretty much useless and half the icons in the taskbar will be impossible to read cuz they havent been updated by the devs to support dark mode

hupmoo.jpg

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Will it be safe to use in your main pc? Isn't it gonna be too buggy and cause problems?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Hoping for IOS 8 public beta also

iOS 8 is not getting a public beta. For reasons which are too long to explain, iOS may not get a public beta for some years to come. Just be glad it looks like we'll be getting a Mac OS public beta from now on.

MrRyanW

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Apple Remote Desktop in Yosemite

Does anyone know if Apple Remote Desktop works in the beta? In past betas it hasn't worked until an update was released on the day of the final release.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately I NEED to run this, but would love to test the beta.

Thanks!

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Finally. Been waiting for this. Almost installed the DP4 yesterday but now I'm def holding off, this will be much easier tomorrow lol.

Now just gotta slap iOS 8 beta on the iPhone and see what's up!

huffhuff

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
UK
How do we even know if we made it into the programme? It let me sign up, but i've had no confirmation intimating I was actually successful yet

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Will it be safe to use in your main pc? Isn't it gonna be too buggy and cause problems?

I would definitely create another partition on your computer and install it on there. Version 4 is stable but you shouldn't used pre-released software as your main OS.

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
How do we even know if we made it into the programme? It let me sign up, but i've had no confirmation intimating I was actually successful yet

I think if it let you sign up, you're good, once they reached the 1 million mark, they probably closed it up.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

The reason there is a delay between DP and PB is because the software needs time in the hands of developers to make sure there are no major bugs before they let the public loose on it. For this reason, the Yosemite PB1 should be water tight enough that it shouldn't cause problems as your main operating system, but that certainly does not mean you will not come across a few bugs and issues here and there as well as certain apps not working, until their respective developers issue a fix. Just make sure you have a way of rolling back (Time Machine) before you upgrade and above all, do not forget it's a beta software and not yet a final release intended for mass public consumption.

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Does anyone know if Apple Remote Desktop works in the beta? In past betas it hasn't worked until an update was released on the day of the final release.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If you NEED to run remote desktop, hold off on the beta. I know you want to try it, but its not worth the headache of installing it and figuring out the hard way that it might, maybe, kinda sorta works, or just doesn't work at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Most remote desktop apps, i.e., gotomypc etc, tend not to work with the beta, that has been my experience in the past. I'm not on the beta this time, so I can't answer it. I've holding off since Mavericks is rock solid and I can't deal with issues on my main machine at this point

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think Beta 3 was ready for public beta release. It was stable, IMO. I love Beta 4 so far. Yosemite betas have been more stable than iOS's. You would think it'd be the opposite, since iOS 8 just builds on iOS 7.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
That seems like a very bad idea. I mean iOS8 won't be a public beta so two separate iClouds will confuse and anger many people

i doubt that, the implementation is pretty much useless and half the icons in the taskbar will be impossible to read cuz they havent been updated by the devs to support dark mode

I don't use 3rd-Party software in my menu bar.

swood09

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
I've looked at several rumor sites, and not one of them cite a source for knowing the PB is dropping tomorrow. Where are they getting this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.