Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X Yosemite to Launch in Late October, 12-inch Retina MacBook and 4K Desktop in the Works

Following an earlier report on the launch of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8, 9to5Mac has released a second report with details on OS X Yosemite and Apple's fall Mac plans. As has been previously mentioned, OS X Yosemite will launch in October, following iOS 8's September release alongside the iPhone 6.

The final Yosemite Developer Preview is expected to be seeded to developers on September 29, with a final golden master build coming around October 10, which suggests a late-October public launch date for Yosemite.

October will also see the potential introduction of the iWatch, as has been widely rumored, and Apple may also be planning to unveil several new products designed to promote Yosemite, including a smaller 12-inch MacBook with a high-resolution display and a new desktop computer, which may be an iMac or a standalone monitor with a 4K resolution screen.

Along with providing a few details on the desktop Retina machine, 9to5Mac's report echoes several details on the 12-inch MacBook previously shared by rumor sites, suggesting it will have a Retina display and a "thinner and slightly lighter aluminum body."
Quote:
Apple believes that this new Retina MacBook will be a significant step forward in the laptop industry, and it is currently unclear if Apple will label this machine as a smaller MacBook Pro, a new MacBook Air, or as an entirely new line.

While it is possible Apple will market the aforementioned 4K desktop as a "Retina" machine, the technology for true pixel-doubling of the current 27-inch iMac and Thunderbolt Display's 2560 x 1440 resolution is not ready for market.
9to5Mac's sources indicate the 12-inch Retina MacBook and the iMac are on pace to ship in late in the third quarter or in the fourth quarter, but could be pushed back to early 2015, which is in line with recent rumors about the 12-inch Retina MacBook. A report has suggested the notebook's launch will be pushed back due to continued Broadwell delays.

Rumors have also long focused on a possible Retina iMac and/or a 4K display, and back in June, hints of a Retina iMac were found in the OS X Yosemite beta. Less has been said about a potential 4K display in recent months, but an update to Apple's Thunderbolt Display is long overdue.

Along with new Macs, Yosemite's introduction may also include updates to both iMovie and Final Cut Pro to improve support for video captured with 4K cameras.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite to Launch in Late October, 12-inch Retina MacBook and 4K Desktop in the Works
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:49 PM   #2
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Can't wait....our first child, this, and a new iPhone will make my September/October!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

A 12-Inch rMBP would be so insanely random. It would be appropriate to introduce retina MacBook Air's in 12'' & 14'' inch sizes.

12'' Air, 13'' Pro, 14'' Air & 15'' Pro.

Last edited by Dilster3k; Jul 23, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Dilster3k is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:49 PM   #4
nutmac
macrumors 68020

I so want 12" retina MacBook rumor to be true, along with 4K monitor (which I think should be 21.5" and not 27", but I will take what I can get).
nutmac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

Problem with a 4k iMac is the H Broadwell will not be available until mid 2015 and the U series is a mobile chip that only produces UHD.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:54 PM   #6
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

I was just bemoaning the possibility of a lack of new iMacs. I really hope for something new this fall. I'd be all over a retina screened 27" iMac, even if it's not true pixel doubling. A new Mac with improved video and some other tweaks like Thunderbolt 2 would be the cat's fuzzy butt.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:54 PM   #7
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

I'd never buy a 4K iMac in 2014. I'd wait until at least the second iteration to have a graphics card that can handle it as well as the GPU's in the 2013 iMac's running 1080p/1440p.
MartinAppleGuy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:56 PM   #8
rikardors
macrumors member

Iphones getting bigger screens and Macs getting smaller screens...I get the logic.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:59 PM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Can't wait....our first child, this, and a new iPhone will make my September/October!
Congrats!

I'm afraid though, New Child 1.0 may be incompatible with iPhone 6, 4K iMac, and Retina MacBook (also incompatible with Free Time and Disposable Income..)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:59 PM   #10
dfausty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikardors View Post
Iphones getting bigger screens and Macs getting smaller screens...I get the logic.
The universe is converging.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:01 PM   #11
arian19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post

One of those things can be really expensive...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfausty View Post
Nope, it's just regression to the mean.
arian19 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:03 PM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfausty View Post
The iMac has absolutely no battery life, the new iPhone will have...

...wow. They really are converging!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

So according to macrumors, current apple products will be updated

Fascinating
Aluminum213 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Banyan Bruce
macrumors regular

A missing really !

[QUOTE=arian19;19389415]One of those things can be really expensive...[COLOR="#808080"]

......will be really, really expensive.
Banyan Bruce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:04 PM   #15
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
Congrats!

I'm afraid though, New Child 1.0 may be incompatible with iPhone 6, 4K iMac, and Retina MacBook (also incompatible with Free Time and Disposable Income..)
Yep, very incompatible and much more expensive than any Apple products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian19 View Post
One of those things can be really expensive...
Yep!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:11 PM   #16
Takuro
macrumors 6502

I called this from the moment I began using the OS X Yosemite developer preview. The choice of font Apple made is clearly intended for use on retina screens, which means they're going to offer a "retina" (or 4k) option for the iMac and will use this same panel in a new Thunderbolt display.

I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development. This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim. By Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.

The final step is to refresh their product lineup with video cards that support 4k, so that even people with Mac Minis are not left out of the fun.
Takuro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:13 PM   #17
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

I'm all in if Apple announces Retina Airs and iMacs.
dumastudetto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:13 PM   #18
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuro View Post
I called this from the moment I began using the OS X Yosemite developer preview. The choice of font Apple made is clearly intended for use on retina screens, which means they're going to offer a "retina" (or 4k) option for the iMac and will use this same panel in a new Thunderbolt display.

I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development. This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim. By this time in Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.
MacRumors: where analysts are born.

(^and where smart-alecky remarks are a dime a dozen)
AngerDanger is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:14 PM   #19
69Mustang
macrumors 65816

The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:16 PM   #20
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
Problem with a 4k iMac is the H Broadwell will not be available until mid 2015 and the U series is a mobile chip that only produces UHD.
Does that mean if I was to hook my 2014 MBA 13'' up to a 4k display, I wouldnt get the full 4k resolution?

Because thats my dream, don't crush my dream.
Koodauw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:18 PM   #21
SpoonCody
Banned

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit of a bummer to lose an inch off the 13" MBA?
SpoonCody is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:19 PM   #22
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?
Rumor: The Mac Mini will be discontinued.

It'll be displaced by the Mac Pro for when you need a headless Mac, and by a refreshed Apple TV with an app store when all you need is a simple home media server.

There, are you satisfied?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:20 PM   #23
macduke
macrumors 68040

Would love a 4K iMac, but I'm probably going to wait until the new Intel chips next year.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:23 PM   #24
iMacmatician
macrumors 601

I'd like to know what CPUs the Retina MacBook will use.
iMacmatician is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:25 PM   #25
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian19 View Post
Nope, it's just regression to the mean.
You've been waiting to get that out haven't you?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion