Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
Hey guys,
So i'm curious, if I decide to upgrade to Public Beta tomorrow and then eventually upgrade to the final version, will I be forced to erase my hard drive and then install Yosemite GM or will I be able to just update to Yosemite GM over the Public Beta with no problems?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
You'll be able to update.

Exactly. There was some other guy going around on this forum saying there would be absolutely no way to update to the final version when it's released. Total rubbish and he told ME off for talking lightly about the beta as a main OS.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
Exactly. There was some other guy going around on this forum saying there would be absolutely no way to update to the final version when it's released. Total rubbish and he told ME off for talking lightly about the beta as a main OS.

So yeah it's good to know i'll be able to run it as my main production OS and not having any issues just updating to final when it's released. I actually don't mind a few bugs here and there and it's not like this is an alpha version or anything. I'm used to pre release software and in todays world, its a pretty common thing now and I think it's awesome for Apple to even be offering this to the public instead of restricting it to 99 dollar developer licenses exclusively.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013

First let me say, I am sure that you will be able to update to the final version, which is normally the last beta version....

However, hasn't Apple said during previous OS releases that you would NOT be able to update to the final version, yet software update would continue to update you anyway, despite what they said?

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I think the questions we should be asking are
A. Could developers last year install public software updates after their Mavericks previews became obsolete, or did they have to clean install?
And B. Will the fact this is going to be labelled a Public Beta on the App Store, rather than a Developer Preview make it eligible (or not) for future public software updates?

I'd vote that yes, you'll be able to update the Public Beta to full release through the App Store, since this beta is, after all, intended for the same public who the full release is being built for.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Ok so the public beta I am downloading, if I install this as a fresh install, will I just update when the final version is released, or do I need to reinstall the final all over again?

Pre-releases

Public beta at this time: 14A386b

Beta for developers at this time: 14A388a

As far as I know, there's no full installer for 14A386b – it was an update, a delta – so I should not treat 14A386b as entirely fresh.

Release

After Apple makes available a full installer for the released build of 10.10, I should download and use that full installer.

The full installer should provide, amongst other things:
  • a release quality Recovery OS.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
You'll be able to update.

It's not yet known whether Apple will provide either of the following:
  • a combo update applicable to public 14A379b
  • a delta update applicable to public beta 14A386b.
An important distinction:
  • full installation of a pre-release, followed by at least one update
  • full installation of a release
– option (b) is a single step; and is not an update.

Apple says that public beta can be updated to the final release through App Store. …

If delivered as an update, it'll probably be for OS X (not for Recovery OS).

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It's not yet known whether Apple will provide either of the following:
  • a combo update applicable to public 14A379b
  • a delta update applicable to public beta 14A386b.

The first combo won't be available till the first beta of 10.10.2. And it will only show up in the mac app store for if you skip 10.10.1.

So the build number for the first combo will be 14C# for some number #, not 14A#.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There are no combos for preview builds before first public release - just deltas, patches and full installers. They usually always provide deltas and patches but not always full installers. And never a combo till the first beta of 10.#.2.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
There are no combos for preview builds before first public release …

Experience with (at least) pre-releases of OS X 10.9 suggests otherwise. More recently, in Apple Developer Forums there are mentions of at least one combo in connection with Yosemite. There are finer details, but that's enough for public consumption ;-)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Experience with (at least) pre-releases of OS X 10.9 suggests otherwise. More recently, in Apple Developer Forums there are mentions of at least one combo in connection with Yosemite.

The first combo of mavericks was for the first beta of 10.9.2 which had build 13C32 - which was well and truely after the public release of build 13A603. There were never any combos of mavericks before that.

There have been no combos of yosemite yet and won't be till the first beta of 10.10.2.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OT: pre-release combos

The first combo of mavericks was for the first beta of 10.9.2 …

Long before 10.9.2 beta builds (13C…) there were pre-release 10.9 combos for at least 13A510d and 13A524d. Truly, there are finer details, but – sorry – this topic is not the place to plunge into a history of pre-Yosemite and pre-public beta pre-releases ;-)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
They were mavericks DP3 and DP4.

Mavericks DP3 was only available as a delta and patch and Mavericks DP4 was available as a delta, patch and full installer. They were not combos.

Maybe you are confusing combos with full installers. They are not the same thing.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OT: pre-release combos

… Maybe you are confusing combos with full installers. …

No such confusion. Again, really, this topic isn't the place for the details. It could make a good discussion for another place, another day.

Prefer (please) to keep this topic focused on the essence of the opening post –
installing the first release of Yosemite after installing a pre-release.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
a combo update applicable to public 14A379b

You were the one who started talking about a combo for 14A379b to update to 14A# where 14A# will be public release. I was just responding to this to clarify that would not be an appropriate use of the word "combo".

Apple are not going to create such an update, and even if they did, they would not call it a combo.

A combo would update 14A# to 14C# or above. Hence we have to wait till at least 10.10.2 before we get a combo.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
If you are going to put incorrect stuff here then I think this would be the place to correct it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.