Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Our forum members are building a comprehensive list of all the apps that function in iOS 8 beta 4, which may be helpful for users who have installed the beta or who plan to install it. The list also includes apps that are known to be broken and apps that work but have specific issues.

ios_8_fall_roundup.jpg
Notable apps that fully work with the beta include 1Password, Dropbox, Deliveries, Google Chrome, Instagram, Pandora, Rdio, Vine, and Fantastical 2 for iPad and iPhone. Other apps, like Facebook and Snapchat work as well, but have some issues with videos.

Popular apps that do not work with the beta at this point in time include Adobe Photoshop Touch, Camera+, Evernote, Google Docs/Drive, Infinity Blade 1-3, LastPass, Whatsapp, and YouTube.

It is not unusual for apps to malfunction with the introduction of new beta software, as developers often need to make multiple tweaks to accommodate new APIs and protocols. Apple's extended beta testing periods are designed to give developers the time they need to get their apps working with the new operating system before it is released to the public.

The forum post that lists all of the working apps is a Wiki post editable by users who have made more than 25 posts on MacRumors, so iOS 8 users who know of other functional/broken apps in the beta are encouraged to contribute.

Article Link: Comprehensive List of Apps Compatible With iOS 8 Beta 4

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Our forum members are building a comprehensive list of all the apps that function in iOS 8 beta 4, which may be helpful for users who have installed the beta or who plan to install it. The list also includes apps that are known to be broken and apps that work but have specific issues.

Notable apps that fully work with the beta include 1Password, Dropbox, Deliveries, Google Chrome, Instagram, Pandora, Rdio, Tweetbot 3, and Vine. Other apps, like Facebook and Snapchat work as well, but have some issues with videos.

Popular apps that do not work with the beta at this point in time include Adobe Photoshop Touch, Camera+, Evernote, Google Docs/Drive, Infinity Blade 1-3, LastPass, Whatsapp, and YouTube.

It is not unusual for apps to malfunction with the introduction of new beta software, as developers often need to make multiple tweaks to accommodate new APIs and protocols. Apple's extended beta testing periods are designed to give developers the time they need to get their apps working with the new operating system before it is released to the public.

The forum post that lists all of the working apps is a Wiki post editable by users who have made more than 25 posts on MacRumors, so iOS 8 users who know of other functional/broken apps in the beta are encouraged to contribute.

Article Link: Comprehensive List of Apps Compatible With iOS 8 Beta 4

YouTube & Evernote don't work? I was just using both of them last night. They both worked for me since beta 2

Last edited:

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Duo Mobile - for 2 factor authentication is still broken under beta 4. Crashes at launch.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
One incompatible

One app that's not working is the Palo Alto VPN app.

It worked from beta1 through beta3, but stopped working in Beta4.

[edit]
oops, I thought this was for Yosemite, not iOS 8.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I think there's different factors affecting apps working or not.
Facebook works, but just like it did on iOS 7, still crashes in the background for me, and crashes after about 5 minutes of usage (after a little usage.. Maybe not 5 minutes exactly).

Also whatsapp, kinda works. It opens, displays my chat lists, and some I can view. Over chats crash the app as soon as I tap them.

Google's Ingress app crashes on launch.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Doesn't this kind of go against the idea that you're not supposed to be using a beta as your main OS? Or am I thinking too far ahead?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Can someone please let me know if this app works in iOS 8? I designed the interface, but the developers did kind of a shoddy job in my opinion and took forever, so we're not working with them any more and I'm worried about iOS 8 compatibility. I have a dev account but after my troubles with iOS 7 last year I refuse to install betas on my personal device, and I'm still working on getting something to test this on that can run iOS 8. Previously we had an old iPod Touch. Here is the link to the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cafnr/id874603725?mt=8

Thank you and I appreciate any help that you guys can provide! It has a few small bugs in its current state but nothing that is outright broken. It should mostly match up with the screenshots and load the thumbnails for stories, stories should open and display properly, along with events and research center information. It isn't much now, but this is actually going to be a cool little app someday that will allow residents of the state to connect with researchers in the field and get notifications for certain crop pests that move into their county, soil moisture levels, subscribe to agriculture news that interests them, etc. But we're starting small and building from there.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Tinder works, but has some limitations... you are unable to change your search distance or search age criteria.

isaiahfranco

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Soundcloud and République do not work for me. I was having issues with Clash of Clans running slowly like the device couldn't handle it but that seems to have been fixed in Beta 4.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Line App for the longest time would crash a lot. I had a sequence of things I would do to get access and send messages before it crashed. Since then, their last update it made it a lot more stable, but it still crashes sometimes.

StrongArmmed

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Miami, FL
Right now VSCOCam is NOT fully functional with iOS8. Has been suffering the same issues since beta 1. Using the configurations/setting in the app will make it crash.

Last edited:

OKERO

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Plantation, Florida
Have a stuttering with video recording in "snapchat" other than that most of the other applications work just fine.

EDIT: Only on my end does it show that way, to everyone else it's smooth.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
After 8 versions and still this headache?

I can see the first few versions of any OS having the "upgrade" breaking issues that are just headaches for developers, but after 8 versions I expect a company to figure out how to respect their developers better.

There is no reason for an OS upgrade to break and app, even a mobile app these days.

Apple has a LONG history of creating breaking changes in every SDK and API on OS X and iOS. Even Windows got over those issues by the time they hit Windows XP. I mean you have to write an incredibly ****** Windows application for it to not work after an upgrade, and usually what happens is that "old" developers still lock their application with code to work only on only known version numbers, but this has not been a necessity for over 10 years.

Even Google, where Android was a nightmare to support up to version 4, has figured out how to do things better. They introduced a new runtime in the last version of the OS, which will become the default runtime for Android L, but in the meantime that doesn't mean you have to rewrite your old app to work again. Developer's got a chance to try a new runtime SDK and API without Google coming along and blowing everything up just because.

I guess if iOS dev's continue to want to be Apple biatch with this then its never going to change, but eventually developers might want to start pushing back and letting Apple know that an OS upgrade is no longer an acceptable reason for an existing app to stop working.

Maybe Apple should be forced to payout for the added overhead to support a new OS release if they continue to want to break anything.

AppleSalesman

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Money Back Guaranteed

ATTENTION RELIABLE SOLUTION: (Money Back Guaranteed)
Register your UDID to Upgrade to ANY iOS 8 Beta Software ONLY for iPhone 4S and higher. I charge $5, send money to PayPal and I will have your iPhone's UDID unlocked in less than a day for 2 years. PayPal: gyurihockey9@hotmail.com
Money Back Guaranteed if it doesn't work! Please ask any questions you may have.

mbartholic

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
As of today w/ update.

As of today, with the 3.1.0 update, Soundcloud is again fully functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.