Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have my ATV2 jailbroken now and have installed XMBC. How would I get access to MKV videos on my computer? I have tried going to videos on XMBC and but I am not sure how to even get to my computer through there. Thanks

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
In xbmc go to video and ADD NEW Source.
If its on the same network and IS shared you should be able to see the drive that contains them

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
They moved that setting so that it is under settings now. I can't get my computers HD to show up although it is shared since I share between two MBs all the time.

Other than this, I don't see any benefits to jailbreaking my ATV2. I may just restore and update to the latest.

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
If you have an iOS device of any kind, I'd highly suggest downloading an app called Air Video HD. After you download it, you can download a desktop client for it that acts as a server, and you can stream any video on your computer to your Apple TV through Airplay. WAY more convenient than the jailbreak/XBMC ordeal. That turned into a headache for me. Eventually, I said screw it and went legit. I won't jailbreak my Apple TV again until I have a very compelling reason to do so. PM me if you have any questions.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
They moved that setting so that it is under settings now. I can't get my computers HD to show up although it is shared since I share between two MBs all the time.

Other than this, I don't see any benefits to jailbreaking my ATV2. I may just restore and update to the latest.

I find XBMC (for me anyway) is more useful for the plugins they offer. As for non-iTunes friendly formats, I tend to lean more towards Infuse from Firecore. It seems to be an easier network setup.

YMMV

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Agreed!
Once you have tried IceFilms, NaviX, One Channel just to name a few you will NOT be thinking of going back to stock
And you can add sources from within the video or other areas.
It is only a press & hold of a remote button.
Even the old firecore prior to Infuse would help for network media.
This is ran outside of XBMC just like any other ATV app

In the end, there would be zero reasons to restoring to stock, if you don't like, Sell it for 2+ times the value of a apple tv 3 and purchase one of them and pocket the proceeds.
I find XBMC (for me anyway) is more useful for the plugins they offer. As for non-iTunes friendly formats, I tend to lean more towards Infuse from Firecore. It seems to be an easier network setup.
YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.