Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple in Talks With Credit Card Companies Over Payment Solution, Could Launch Mobile 'Wallet' This Fall

Apple's talks with companies in the payment industry have been heating up in recent months, according to a new report from The Information. Apple executives have discussed launching a mobile payment solution as soon as this fall, allowing users to pay for physical goods with their iPhones.

Apple is currently speaking with credit card company Visa over a possible partnership, a move that would bypass third-party payment processors resulting in direct savings for retailers and customers.

Apple's payment solution is said to work with a "secured element" within the iPhone, safely storing payment credentials. This secured solution may involve the "Secure Enclave" built into Apple's A7 processor.
Quote:
Apple has told some partners its system would involve a so-called secured element in the phones--a piece of hardware where sensitive information such as a phone owner's financial credentials can be stored. The company also aims to run the system without giving up any control to wireless carriers.
The Secure Enclave, which was designed for Touch ID, is a coprocessor within the A7 chip that uses a secure boot process to ensure that its separate software is both verified and signed by Apple. It functions independently even if a kernel is compromised and contains a unique ID that is inaccessible to other parts of the system, keeping all data held within safe.

Apple's interest in the mobile payment arena has been rumored for years, but gained renewed attention earlier this year when The Wall Street Journal suggested the company as working on a new mobile payment service. As previously detailed, the service is said to allow people to use their iOS devices to make purchases for physical goods in apps and on the web, as well as in retail stores.

The payment solution will most likely be built around iTunes, allowing Apple to leverage more than 800 million iTunes accounts, most with credit cards attached. It may also be tied to Touch ID, the fingerprint scanning home button built into the iPhone 5s and slated for inclusion in future iPads and iPhones.

In January, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that mobile payments were "one of the thoughts" behind Touch ID. He has also said that Apple is "intrigued" with mobile payments and noted there's a "big opportunity on the platform."

Earlier this year, Apple was said to be in talks with Paypal about a possible partnership and it has also sought out senior payments industry executives to take on roles within the company.

Article Link: Apple in Talks With Credit Card Companies Over Payment Solution, Could Launch Mobile 'Wallet' This Fall
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:27 PM   #2
k1121j
macrumors regular

when will apple just make apple cell company
k1121j is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Solomani
macrumors 68000

iWallet trademark is already taken.

How about iPurse?
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:28 PM   #4
misterpip
macrumors newbie

falll 2014 will be great!
misterpip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

But, will it be faster than just swiping my card? If I have to muck about with the UI on my phone, I see little point.
Cougarcat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:31 PM   #6
iGraham4
macrumors newbie

If it is announced with iPhone 6 then I would assume it would have some new hardware (NFC?) otherwise why not announce it at WWDC if it is going to work with the iPhone 5s i.e. bluetooth + A7 secure enclave + Touch ID?
iGraham4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGraham4 View Post
If it is announced with iPhone 6 then I would assume it would have some new hardware (NFC?) otherwise why not announce it at WWDC if it is going to work with the iPhone 5s i.e. bluetooth + A7 secure enclave + Touch ID?
Because they are still in talks with credit card companies, and it might not be ready. I really don't think they will go in the NFC direction.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Bjb568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
But, will it be faster than just swiping my card? If I have to muck about with the UI on my phone, I see little point.
Best case: The data is sent over bluetooth and pops up on the lock screen, all you have to do is use Touch ID to authenticate.
Bjb568 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:35 PM   #9
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Yosemite. iOS8. Handoff and Continuity. Healthkit. Homekit. TouchID. Mobile Payments. iWatch??? Apple TV???

Apple's entire integration plan seems to finally all be coming together. It's going to be really nice to be in the Apple ecosystem going forward.
newagemac is online now   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:35 PM   #10
taptic
macrumors 65816

Can we just integrate paypal already...?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:36 PM   #11
rob25255
macrumors Demi-God

What about iPay? Probably already mentioned and if so sorry!
rob25255 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:39 PM   #12
teoreticar
macrumors newbie

Apple buy paypal already
teoreticar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:41 PM   #13
suprakc
macrumors member

If it could bypass 3rd party payment solutions, then that would be truly great tech. But credit card companies would still charge Apple... so fees would seemingly remain for the vendor. Interesting.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:41 PM   #14
SHNXX
macrumors 6502a

i wonder what this will do for bitcoins.

apple has in the past not taken a favorable view of bitcoins.
SHNXX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:46 PM   #15
w00master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
Apple buy paypal already
I doubt eBay would be willing to sell. Also... I don't think Apple wants eBay either.

w00master
w00master is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:48 PM   #16
Piggie
macrumors 603

Do you think Apple would want to get some money for each transaction?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:49 PM   #17
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Mobile payment solution better than Paypal, please...
realeric is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:49 PM   #18
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Mobile payments make sense on a watch too. Maybe more sense because a watch can "know" if it is strapped to the legal owner's wrist using biometrics.

I don't see how a phone is better than a credit card

In my idea scenario you don't stop at the checkout stand. You just walk into Home Depot or WalMart and take what you need and the store's sensors see that you have an account and make a charge. The watch could serve as id ID for the account and it could be rigged so it ONLY works if the legal owner is using it.

We have to be carful to NOT be like Henry Ford's customers who would only ask for a faster horse.
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:51 PM   #19
flatfoot99
macrumors 6502a

so im guessing it will work at places already accepting visa? visa, apple and whatever credit card you have on file on itunes are all gonna want a cut.
flatfoot99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Robin4
macrumors 6502

What happens if someone steals the iPhone. Are the iPhones so secure with the new technology?
Robin4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
In my idea scenario you don't stop at the checkout stand. You just walk into Home Depot or WalMart and take what you need and the store's sensors see that you have an account and make a charge.
What you are describing has been dreamed of for a long time. Apparently it is within reach with current tech:

http://www.rfidarena.com/2014/5/15/r...ble-today.aspx

I agree that Apple's goal, if they are going to enter this arena, is to revolutionize the checkout process in total rather than simply providing another payment avenue.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:00 PM   #22
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
There's a HUGE security benefit to going this way instead of continuing to use cards. Nutshell version: as is, much of the time, we hand our credit cards to complete strangers who then go away where we can't see them to process our purchase. They bring back a piece of paper that we sign, so we give those strangers our signature too.

Mobile "card-less" model: nothing leaves your possession. Your "card" (your phone) has something brought to it so that you can establish the connection to approve the transaction yourself. Your thumbprint or password is the replacement for your signature. The "stranger" doesn't get to see a card number, name, expiration date, security code or your signature; they just get a "transaction approved" validation.

While the latter is also not completely secure (nothing is), it would be a HUGE step toward reducing the ability for the less sophisticated identity thieves (which is most of them) to fake a transaction(s) as you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin4 View Post
What happens if someone steals the iPhone. Are the iPhones so secure with the new technology?
They need to steal your thumb and/or your password too.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:01 PM   #23
flatfoot99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
There's a HUGE security benefit to going this way instead of continuing to use cards. Nutshell version: as is, much of the time, we hand our credit cards to complete strangers who then go away where we can't see them to process our purchase. They bring back a piece of paper that we sign, so we give that strangers our signature too.

Mobile "card-less" model: nothing leaves your possession. Your "card" (your phone) has something brought to it so that you can establish the connection to approve the transaction yourself. Your thumbprint or password is the replacement for your signature. The "stranger" doesn't get to see a card number, name, expiration date, security code or your signature; they just get a "transaction approved" validation.

While the latter is also not completely secure (nothing is), it would be a HUGE step toward reducing the ability for the less sophisticated identity thieves (which is most of them) to fake a transaction(s) as you.

----------

They need to steal your thumb and/or your password too.
bingo! cant wait for this!
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:03 PM   #24
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Absolutely. I suspect there's no bigger business than the credit/debit fee leeching business. Go into any city and the biggest buildings are almost always owned by those in that business. Getting a little "commission" on every transaction is HUGE… much better than selling a small segment of people a new Mac or even a ton of people a new iPhone.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:05 PM   #25
The Barron
macrumors regular

Surprises are Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGraham4 View Post
I think this would hit it out of the park for Apple to have the NFC feature and it not have been leaked prior to the new iPhones.

It would certainly be great for the shareholders of AAPL. Oh, yeah!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Never. Hah!
The Barron is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion