Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Working With Swatch for iWatch With Multiple Designs, Price Points?

Apple may be working with manufacturing partners like Swatch to create multiple versions of the iWatch that are available in a range of styles and price points, according to a questionable report from VentureBeat, citing a source with knowledge of Apple's plans.
Quote:
While most Apple-watchers and media have been laser-focused on one or two "iWatches" from Apple itself, the Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics and media giant may actually be working a number of partners in the watch business.

Apple and its partners will offer a family of smartwatches to suit all tastes "from geek to chic," our source says.
VentureBeat suggests it is possible that Swatch may be involved in building one or more of Apple's smart watches, and the site's source also believes Apple may be teaming up with Timex as well. Watches from third-party manufacturers would likely accompany an iWatch of Apple's own branding, according to the source.

A possible partnership with Swatch or another watch maker would seemingly go against many of the existing iWatch rumors, which have indicated that Apple is building its own wrist worn device with multiple screen sizes up to 2.5 inches and an array of complicated health sensors.

Apple has also hired a massive team of health and fashion experts to work on the iWatch, suggesting much of the development work is in-house. Thus far, there have been few hints on what the iWatch might look like, so there is a possibility that Apple could use something of a modular design, with a screen able to integrate with bands from multiple companies.

The Swatch Paparazzi, a 2004 smart watch created in collaboration with Microsoft
Some reports, including a prediction from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, have indicated Apple will produce the iWatch in a variety of materials and at multiple price points to satisfy a wide range of tastes. Apple is also said to be marketing the iWatch as a fashion accessory, but thus far other reports have not pointed towards third-party design partnerships.

Tim Cook yesterday suggested partnerships are "unusual" for Apple, speaking about the company's recent decision to team up with IBM. He emphasized that Apple's IBM partnership was possible because the two companies do not compete with each other, which is not the case with Swatch.

Last year, Swatch CEO Nick Hayek also had some negative things to say about an Apple iWatch, stating "I don't believe it's the next revolution." Swatch does have some limited experience with smart watches, however, having previously teamed up with Microsoft to offer the Swatch Paparazzi smart watch.

According to Hayek, Apple and Swatch have been in contact for multiple years over materials for products and energy harvesting technology, but in March, Hayek clearly stated that Swatch was not interested in forging a partnership with a company manufacturing wearable devices, including Apple, which casts doubt on today's report.

Apple is expected to introduce the iWatch in October.

Article Link: Apple Working With Swatch for iWatch With Multiple Designs, Price Points?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:31 PM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

rather, Apple is forced to work with Swatch because Swatch owns the right to use Liquidmetal in consumer watches.
farewelwilliams is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:32 PM   #3
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

No Swatch please.
sinsin07 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:32 PM   #4
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Not going to happen.
davidjearly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:35 PM   #5
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Although I don't have a bad enough camera with me to take a photo, I have gotten ahold of the rumored iWatch and can verify that the 2004 Microsoft/Swatch collaboration is almost dead on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Last year, Swatch CEO Nick Hayek also had some negative things to say about an Apple iWatch, stating "I don't believe it's the next revolution."
Uh, this may actually be a misquote; like most CEOs would do in a similar position, Nick actually said, "an Apple watch will surely blow everything we have out of the water. If you haven't already, attempt to return our products for a refund and go stand outside Apple HQ, waiting for the eminent release of their wearable device."

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jul 23, 2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: the /truth/
AngerDanger is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:36 PM   #6
smileyborg
macrumors 6502

It's amazing that 10 years ago, people were willing to wear those on their wrists.
smileyborg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Swatch, ewww.

Movado or Rolex, fine. But any affiliation with Swatch is just gross.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:42 PM   #8
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

LOL, this iWatch product is going to bomb so insanely hard I can't wait for the show!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:42 PM   #9
2IS
macrumors 68020

These iWatch rumors are all over the place
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:44 PM   #10
4jasontv
macrumors regular

Travel advisory.
Road work at intersection of technology and liberal arts.
Seek alternate route.
4jasontv is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
nando87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Swatch, ewww.

Movado or Rolex, fine. But any affiliation with Swatch is just gross.
HAHAHA Movado he says, wtf.

The swatch group, one of the most if not the most powerful watch groups, is the owner of haute horlogerie brands like Breguet, and very popular luxury sport watches like Omega.

Omega, btw, uses liquid metal on the Seamaster Planet Ocean model.
nando87 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:46 PM   #12
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Working with Swatch? Never gonna happen!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:47 PM   #13
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
No Swatch please.
Why?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:48 PM   #14
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
Why?
If you have to ask then the answer would be lost.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:49 PM   #15
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

iSwatch confirmed
mad3inch1na is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:56 PM   #16
bradl
macrumors 68020

Obligatory Swatch joke, courtesy of Jeff Dunham and Walter. Enjoy.

BL.
bradl is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:56 PM   #17
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Apple please don't partner with Rolex to make a high end iWatch. My wallet can't take it!
WhoDaKat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Jett0516
macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the iWatch would be something like the iPod line. With different size, style and color for everyone.
Jett0516 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:59 PM   #19
nando87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Apple please don't partner with Rolex to make a high end iWatch. My wallet can't take it!
If I have to say one brand which won't build a smart watch, haute horlogerie apart, that would be Rolex, and then Panerai. The swatch group is a reasonable choice since they are using liquid metal

Rolex is one of the most conservative watch makers when we talk about design and functions, and they sell about 1M watches per year, most of them steel sport watches, so NO.
nando87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:59 PM   #20
I like bananas
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
LOL, this iWatch product is going to bomb so insanely hard I can't wait for the show!
Why so… negative?
I like bananas is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:04 PM   #21
cycledance
macrumors member

first beats then ibm now swatch. what's next? ikea?
cycledance is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:06 PM   #22
OmegaRed1723
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No Swatch please.
The Swatch group owns the likes of Omega, Breguet, and Glashütte—not the worst choice for an horological bedfellow.
OmegaRed1723 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:07 PM   #23
ElTorro
macrumors regular

Quote:
No Swatch please.
Swatch Group owns Omega, by the way. Would you have made the snobby comment if they said Apple working with Omega?
ElTorro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:07 PM   #24
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

If true there goes my hope of it not being a watch (opposed to the fuel band style mock ups).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:11 PM   #25
nando87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kaos View Post
If true there goes my hope of it not being a watch (opposed to the fuel band style mock ups).
why? A watch group has an enormous know how about wearable materials (liquid metal, as I said many times before, ceramic...), ergonomics, fabrication... It could perfectly be a bracelet or band and not a watch, it has nothing to do
nando87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion