Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peji911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Yosemite Beta releases in a few hours!

When betas come out, are they usually safe to install over your current OS X or still very buggy?

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
I have no experience with betas myself but based on what I've read, it's best to partition your drive and install Yosemite on a separate partition than your productivity system, on another Mac that isn't crucial, or on a bootable external hard drive.

It's a beta so it will have bugs.

peji911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I have no experience with betas myself but based on what I've read, it's best to partition your drive and install Yosemite on a separate partition than your productivity system, on another Mac that isn't crucial, or on a bootable external hard drive.

It's a beta so it will have bugs.

Ah, sucks. When you partition, it doesnt carry over all your apps/files so you're constantly customizing your system.

Guess I have to wait until October... arghhhh!

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
Well, you could clone your existing partition to a new one using an app like Super Duper and then upgrade that to Yosemite, in theory it would work. That's what I'm going to do...

peji911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Well, you could clone your existing partition to a new one using an app like Super Duper and then upgrade that to Yosemite, in theory it would work. That's what I'm going to do...

Not familiar with that app. Will need to read up on it.

Also, how do you disable emails Im getting for replies to my messages? lol

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
What Super Duper does is create a bootable backup of your system to another hard drive/partition. So you could boot from the backup and upgrade it to Yosemite.

I have no idea how to disable emails, lol I just joined today...

peji911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
What Super Duper does is create a bootable backup of your system to another hard drive/partition. So you could boot from the backup and upgrade it to Yosemite.

I have no idea how to disable emails, lol I just joined today...

lol... me too.

Thanks dude

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm guessing they will send out emails around 10 AM PST, the time they release new betas...so more like 15.5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.