Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Seeds New Builds of Safari 7.1 and Safari 6.2 to Developers




Apple has seeded developers with new versions of Safari 7.1 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.2 for OS X Mountain Lion as works continues on OS X Yosemite. In its release notes for both betas, Apple is asking developers to test AutoFill for passwords and credit cards as well as general website compatibility and extension compatibility.
Quote:
Focus Areas
- Please focus testing on the following areas:
- Please test password and credit card AutoFill.
- Please test general website compatibility.
- Please test extension compatibility.
Apple also once again touts support for WebGL, which was included in prior seeds and allows users to view 3D content without the use of plug-ins. Safari 7.1 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.2 for for OS X Mountain Lion are expected to be released in the near future. Meanwhile, the company's public beta for OS X Yosemite launches tomorrow, July 24.

Article Link: Apple Seeds New Builds of Safari 7.1 and Safari 6.2 to Developers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:43 AM   #2
slrandall
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
But will it blend?

Wait ...
slrandall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:11 AM   #3
mdridwan47
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Snappy!
mdridwan47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a
 
Cuban Missles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Coast, USA
It's good to continue to patch any issues and vulnerabilities even while working on Yosemite. It does seem interesting that they stuck WebGL in this. Maybe just a way of getting some experience ahead of the larger Yosemite release.
__________________
I have a collection of Apple stickers from all my Apple product purchases - they are white (the stickers not the products)
Cuban Missles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:23 AM   #5
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816
 
flottenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up north
With WebGL support in both Chrome and IE (11), I look forward to Safari supporting the technology. And WebGL in iOS Safari (8) could lead to some very interesting development in mobile gaming.
__________________
A computer is like a bicycle for the mind.
Steve Jobs
flottenheimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:01 AM   #6
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Apple is asking developers to test AutoFill for passwords and credit cards
Hint... hint! Try buying stuff from the Apple or iTunes Store

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
Snappy!
I vote for an instant banning of people that use any derivation of this word in a Safari thread
RightMACatU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Mr. Wonderful
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?
Mr. Wonderful is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:33 AM   #8
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Did they fix the issue were Safari and it's tabs can freeze when swiping back on a trackpad?

I've had to do several PRAM resets, and it comes back within minutes. Rather annoying not being back to just swipe back.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:49 AM   #9
pedromcm.pm
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Porto, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?
Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
Did they fix the issue were Safari and it's tabs can freeze when swiping back on a trackpad?

I've had to do several PRAM resets, and it comes back within minutes. Rather annoying not being back to just swipe back.
What does PRAM have to do with it? In what way are they even remotely connected? Just force quit Safari, but clean the cache. It works amazing for me.

I just use Chrome because of my Android device. But Safari just keeps getting ahead of the pack. Difficult choices.
pedromcm.pm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Traverse
macrumors 68020
 
Traverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Here
Does Safari 7.1 include the performance enhancement that Safari 8 has? The improvements in webkit?
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:00 AM   #11
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
What does PRAM have to do with it? In what way are they even remotely connected? Just force quit Safari, but clean the cache. It works amazing for me.

I just use Chrome because of my Android device. But Safari just keeps getting ahead of the pack. Difficult choices.
A PRAM reset is what Apple support recommended.

None of what you suggested has worked. The only time i get maybe one or two back swipes is after a PRAM reset. Resetting or force quoting Safari only removes the freeze, it doesn't let me swipe back.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:17 AM   #12
pedromcm.pm
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Porto, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
A PRAM reset is what Apple support recommended.

None of what you suggested has worked. The only time i get maybe one or two back swipes is after a PRAM reset. Resetting or force quoting Safari only removes the freeze, it doesn't let me swipe back.
What happens when you click the "back" arrows?
pedromcm.pm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM   #13
bbnck
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?
Did you have to be that rude to him? He asked a genuine question and did not deserve a rude response like that.
bbnck is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:37 AM   #14
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Why not just release Safari 8? Actually they should do auto updates like everyone else.

I noticed that Chrome and FF have Web Components support and Safari does not even in these newer version. They need to get on the ball with these so we can get them tested on live sites.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:42 AM   #15
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
What happens when you click the "back" arrows?
Back arrows work, swipe with magic mouse also works. It's just trackpad swipes. Rather aggravating and annoying.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:01 AM   #16
pedromcm.pm
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Porto, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnck View Post
Did you have to be that rude to him? He asked a genuine question and did not deserve a rude response like that.
It wasn't my intention to being rude.Those were genuine questions two. Sorry. Those things happened to me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
Back arrows work, swipe with magic mouse also works. It's just trackpad swipes. Rather aggravating and annoying.
And in Chrome? Does the back swipe work?
pedromcm.pm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 68000
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
Actually they should do auto updates like everyone else.
I was under the impression that Safari does auto-update through the App Store. Is it not included with "system data files and security updates"?
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 AM   #18
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
It wasn't my intention to being rude.Those were genuine questions two. Sorry. Those things happened to me.

----------



And in Chrome? Does the back swipe work?
Yes, as I said and asked. Is the problem fixed with safari. Simply typing into google back swipe and safari brings up a lot of results with the same issue.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:37 AM   #19
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Glad to see support but I wonder how updating the older version effects the Yosemite version. Also insert snappier joke here.
__________________
Late 2013 15" rMBP, 2.6 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB PCIe SSD w/ 2 GB 750m ; 32 GB WiFi iPad Air ; 16 GB iPhone 5S
Dilster3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Parasprite
macrumors 68000
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
Yes, as I said and asked. Is the problem fixed with safari. Simply typing into google back swipe and safari brings up a lot of results with the same issue.
Does it work if you try it from a guest account?
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:43 AM   #21
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Does it work if you try it from a guest account?
Nope same issue. The page back animation starts, freezes half way and then I need to close safari. Easily the singular most annoying bug in Safari for me.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM   #22
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMACatU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
Snappy!
I vote for an instant banning of people that use any derivation of this word in a Safari thread
Don't get snappy, now.
batchtaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:02 PM   #23
Parasprite
macrumors 68000
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
Nope same issue. The page back animation starts, freezes half way and then I need to close safari. Easily the singular most annoying bug in Safari for me.
Odd that I can't replicate it (not that I disbelieve you). You said it works fine when using your magic mouse, does this invoke the same "page-moving-to-the-side" animation? (I've never owned one, but I'd assume it does)

As far as I know, resetting NVRAM wouldn't do anything more than a restart would (bluetooth or integrated).
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:04 PM   #24
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Odd that I can't replicate it (not that I disbelieve you). You said it works fine when using your magic mouse, does this invoke the same "page-moving-to-the-side" animation? (I've never owned one, but I'd assume it does)

As far as I know, resetting NVRAM wouldn't do anything more than a restart would (bluetooth or integrated).
Yup, magic mouse invokes the page swipe animation and works fine. With the trackpad the animation gets stuck halfway. After which the only thing the trackpad can do in Safari is left click and move the cursor. The tabs are all frozen.
__________________
6,1 Mac Pro - 3.50GHz Hex Core - 32 GB RAM - Dual FirePro D700 6GB
N19h7m4r3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:14 PM   #25
grundoon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
I was under the impression that Safari does auto-update through the App Store. Is it not included with "system data files and security updates"?
Not for everyone, that's for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.05.43.png
Views:	80
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	482062  
grundoon is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC