Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bardipod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hey guys, I had a quick question.
I bought an iPhone 5 back in 2012, but I couldn't find one the first few days of release (nor did I plan on getting one at the time), so my contract ends on September 27th. Rumors say that the iPhone 6 will release on or around September 26th. If this is the case, is it likely that AT&T will allow me to pre-order the phone at subsidized price, or will I have to wait months for it to be in stock and then buy it?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Hey guys, I had a quick question.
I bought an iPhone 5 back in 2012, but I couldn't find one the first few days of release (nor did I plan on getting one at the time), so my contract ends on September 27th. Rumors say that the iPhone 6 will release on or around September 26th. If this is the case, is it likely that AT&T will allow me to pre-order the phone at subsidized price, or will I have to wait months for it to be in stock and then buy it?

They'll let you upgrade on the first day of the month you're eligible. You can check this by doing *NEW# on your phone keypad and hit Call. The actual date I believe will also show online under your AT&T MyAccount profile.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
You should be able to upgrade as part of their Next plan as well. One of my phones isn't out of contract until November, but I can select an upgrade using Next right now.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
With the Next, the plan is that you can upgrade after 12/18 months on a 20 month plan.

So my question is once you decide to upgrade your phone, what happens to the remainder of those 20 months? Do you just pay it like normal?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You should be able to upgrade as part of their Next plan as well. One of my phones isn't out of contract until November, but I can select an upgrade using Next right now.

OP would only want to do NEXT if it saves them money.

Or else better just to get subsidized upgrade for $199/299 and continue using traditional voice minutes.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With the Next, the plan is that you can upgrade after 12/18 months on a 20/24 month plan.

So my question is once you decide to upgrade your phone, what happens to the remainder of those 20 months? Do you just pay it like normal?
If you trade-in your old Next phone, then the remaining payments are waived. Of course, you do have to pay the installment on your new Next phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.