Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with yesterday's announcement, Apple today made available a pre-release version of OS X Yosemite to consumers who signed up for the company's OS X public beta program. Public beta program members can access promo codes through the beta program website that allow them to download Yosemite from the Mac App Store for free.

os_x_yosemite_roundup.jpg
Early reviews of the pre-release build are favorable, with several reviewers noting improvements in Safari, Messaging and Notifications. Notably missing from the beta, however, are the highly anticipated Continuity features that allow for the integration of OS X with an iPhone or iPad running iOS 8, as only Yosemite is included in the program.

To sign up for the beta program, users must have a Mac running OS X Mavericks and need to register with an Apple ID on Apple's website. Apple cautions members to install the OS on a secondary Mac as it is beta software and may cause unexpected errors or other issues. Enrollment in the beta program is limited to the first one million registrants.

MacRumors readers who want to discuss the beta can do so in our Yosemite forum, which has tips on troubleshooting, comments on new features, and more.

Apple is expected to release OS X Yosemite to the general public later this year, possibly following an October event that also may be used to unveil the iWatch and new iPad models.

Update 12:25 PM PT: Some users who have signed up for the Yosemite beta have encountered an error indicating their beta codes have already been used. Apple suggests that users getting that error message refresh the beta program redemption page to generate a new code.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Public Beta Now Available via Mac App Store Redemption Codes

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I just signed up...Instant code and downloading now :D
EDIT : It shows the code right on the screen after you accept the terms (after sign-on). Clicking on that takes you to App store.

Last edited:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Still no code for me, looks like they're sending them out piece meal?

EDIT: just signed in and received my code.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
So i just signed up now for the beta program. it is limited to the first 1 million, apparently they have not hit that number yet. Downloading now ...

vpatel787

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Public Beta

Emails havnt gone out but if you go to the appleseed website the activation code is available and you can start downloading.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
No email from apple but I just went to the sign up page, hit sign in (since I had signed up already) and followed the pages to get my code. Downloading now :) Gonna pop it onto a new partition ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.