Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
Anyone else noticing that Tune-In radio app causes rapid battery drain, and makes the back of the iPhone warm? This is running the latest beta 4.

Reactions: PJL500

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Anyone else noticing that Tune-In radio app causes rapid battery drain, and makes the back of the iPhone warm? This is running the latest beta 4.

Yes Also notice too. Compared with streaming from iTunes match its definitely as twice battery drain seen

Reactions: PJL500

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Hmm. Tunein used to be relatively OK with battery use, but they had a pretty big version change about a month ago with even more intrusive ads that I mistakenly updated to. ooTunes is not a bad alternative - I might go back to that.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I use tunein 7 days a week durinf a 5-7 mile walk/run. I noticed on beta 4 my battery going from the usual 95% to 82%. To 95% to 30%!!!

I never thought to check the battery statistics, actually forgot about that feature lol.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Yeah, I had everything off, Airplane Mode, screen off. Listened to a podcast for 1hr 15m and it used 35% of the battery and the phone was warm. Using no audio and the battery and temp is fine.Use any audio, bam.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
This only happens with my podcast app, I wonder if it's the audio engine.
My podcasts app runs just great, not a battery drain at all. But I too do have battery issues with TuneIn, a lot worse than it used to be. Might be iOS 8 + TuneIn, can't really isolate it to Tune In, could just be the way it interacts with the beta.

Sergi0

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I've been having the same problem with Beats I even lost around 5% while hooked to my car charger.

I'm glad im not the only one! AT First I thought it was beta 4 in general, but specifically it seems to beats or 3rd party audio apps. The music apple app works fine. Beats however, burns my battery literally lol. However, if it's charging it doesn't loose battery just charges really slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.