Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I THINK I have a fourth gen model. It's not the current vertical 6th gen. And I THINK there was another "flat" one in between that and mine, that basically had better antennas or something.

Anyway, I've now twice had to reboot my Airport Extreme to get Ethernet working right.

A couple of weeks ago I had one of the ports just stop transmitting anything. Everything connected to that part of my network just disappeared...rebooting my Airport brought everything back.

Then, some time this week (I finally caught on last night) my connection that should be 1000Mb was only doing about 10Mb. Again, rebooting the airport fixed it.

Just wondering if anyone knows what's going on, if maybe a port on my airport is going bad, or...? I've had it running since I guess...2011? Maybe 2010 actually, which would make sense as the 5th gen hit in 2011. This is the first problem I've had with it.

Before this I had a Linksys router (without wifi) which (after 7+ years of use) started suddenly running SUPER slowly...so possibly the same thing that's happening here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I THINK I have a fourth gen model. It's not the current vertical 6th gen. And I THINK there was another "flat" one in between that and mine, that basically had better antennas or something.

Anyway, I've now twice had to reboot my Airport Extreme to get Ethernet working right.

A couple of weeks ago I had one of the ports just stop transmitting anything. Everything connected to that part of my network just disappeared...rebooting my Airport brought everything back.

Then, some time this week (I finally caught on last night) my connection that should be 1000Mb was only doing about 10Mb. Again, rebooting the airport fixed it.

Just wondering if anyone knows what's going on, if maybe a port on my airport is going bad, or...? I've had it running since I guess...2011? Maybe 2010 actually, which would make sense as the 5th gen hit in 2011. This is the first problem I've had with it.

Before this I had a Linksys router (without wifi) which (after 7+ years of use) started suddenly running SUPER slowly...so possibly the same thing that's happening here.

What firmware is it running?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
What firmware is it running?

I could check tonight. It would be whatever the newest is for it, like I know I checked last night since I rebooted it through the airport utility and would have checked for firmware updates then.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
A client of mine had problems with a 4th gen from the start (goes yellow constantly) I could never get it solved with firmware updates.

Reboots didn't last long either. When she replaced with the current model, no probs and testing the 4th gen here (she gave it to me) netted no problems when I reset on my system.

ISP? Router? - It's a mystery ;)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Geez, that is weird!

I seem to recall my firmware ends in .4. I'd be hesitant to downgrade considering newer firmware is likely to have security fixes and the like. Anyway I think it's been quite a while since I upgraded the firmware, and haven't had issues until recently.

I wonder if it's starting to die and I'll have to reboot a couple times a month or something, and then it gets more often :-D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Geez, that is weird!

I seem to recall my firmware ends in .4. I'd be hesitant to downgrade considering newer firmware is likely to have security fixes and the like. Anyway I think it's been quite a while since I upgraded the firmware, and haven't had issues until recently.

I wonder if it's starting to die and I'll have to reboot a couple times a month or something, and then it gets more often :-D

It could be failing. Your AirPort should run firmware 7.6.4. Have you tried a factory reset?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
WiFi routers last two or three years, in my experience. By then enough component aging has occurred that they start to go unreliable in one fashion or another. Occasionally you'll squeeze more life out of one, as my son has with his Airport Extreme, but once they start to go increasingly fluky, the process tends to accelerate.

Sounds like that's what's happening here. Shrug. Get a new one.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
WiFi routers last two or three years, in my experience. By then enough component aging has occurred that they start to go unreliable in one fashion or another. Occasionally you'll squeeze more life out of one, as my son has with his Airport Extreme, but once they start to go increasingly fluky, the process tends to accelerate.

Sounds like that's what's happening here. Shrug. Get a new one.

Thanks! It at least makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

My Linksys (no wifi) from 2005 lasted me until maybe a year or two ago. My Airport Extreme I guess I've been using since 2010...it doesn't feel like that long, but...

Those suckers get really hot. Wonder if routers would last longer if they were bigger/had cooling systems (preferably passive).

I've heard some of the Maximum PC guys have gone through a router a year.

At any rate it's nice to know it's not just me!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks! It at least makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

My Linksys (no wifi) from 2005 lasted me until maybe a year or two ago. My Airport Extreme I guess I've been using since 2010...it doesn't feel like that long, but...

Those suckers get really hot. Wonder if routers would last longer if they were bigger/had cooling systems (preferably passive).

I've heard some of the Maximum PC guys have gone through a router a year.

At any rate it's nice to know it's not just me!

Do you have AppleCare on anything? If so, the AirPort may be covered under the AppleCare agreement on one of your devices.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
It could also be a problem with your ethernet cable and/or the client you have your AE connected to.
Try to replace the cable(s) and see if this only happens with one specific computer.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
It could also be a problem with your ethernet cable and/or the client you have your AE connected to.
Try to replace the cable(s) and see if this only happens with one specific computer.

Good thought! Total pain to troubleshoot, but good thought! I know for sure the one time it was all the devices plugged into a switch plugged into a single cable going into my Airport.

If I start having this problem again I'll maybe order another cable, lay it out along where my current one is and try again. Well, actually I think I'll swap ports around first on my Airport just to see what that does.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Good thought! Total pain to troubleshoot, but good thought! I know for sure the one time it was all the devices plugged into a switch plugged into a single cable going into my Airport.

If I start having this problem again I'll maybe order another cable, lay it out along where my current one is and try again. Well, actually I think I'll swap ports around first on my Airport just to see what that does.

That is a good idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.