Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:53 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Gmail for iOS Updated With Improved Google Drive Integration

Google today updated its Gmail for iOS app to version 3.14159, adding improved integration with its Google Drive storage solution.

It's now possible to save email attachments directly to Google Drive, making them accessible everywhere and saving storage space. Users are also able to insert Google Drive files directly into messages. Google has also included new account management options and the ability to change a profile picture in the Settings menu.
Quote:
- Save attachments directly to Google Drive so you can access them anywhere while saving space and bandwidth on your device
- Insert Google Drive files directly into messages
- New account management options to choose which accounts you want to have visible in Gmail without removing accounts from your device.
- Change your profile picture (in Settings)
Gmail is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated With Improved Google Drive Integration
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2
bkribbs
macrumors 65816

How did no one comment that is pi? Google has a sense of humor!
bkribbs is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkribbs View Post

LOL...must be intentional.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

lmao I think nerd just got put up to like a whole 'nother lever with that version number hahaha
Z400Racer37 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

IMHO CloudMagic blows Gmail away for accessing both iCloud and Gmail. And it is free and includes app level password protection.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:12 PM   #6
GastonM
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the icon hasn't been changed... I was hoping for this after other apps from Google got an updatet icon without that ugly shadow.
GastonM is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:14 PM   #7
shelt
macrumors member

Still no ability to set font size. Sigh...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:41 PM   #8
octothorpe8
macrumors 6502

Mailbox has this same kind of feature, but with Dropbox instead of Drive. I'll be sticking with Mailbox, personally.
octothorpe8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:46 PM   #9
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

Meh, nothing big.
richwoodrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

That is not pi, itís the NSA passcode used to access your email.

Personally, I am very happy with my me.com email address. I like Apple providing my mail services and not Google. My belief (and I could just be drinking Kool-Aid, I know) is that Apple does not sell or give my data to ad companies or government agencies as easily or for profit the way that Google does. Itís not that Google is bad, they tell you up front that they are going to read all your emails and use it to put up more targeted ads. I just prefer that no one read my emails. Even with Apple, once I am done with the email, I download them to my desktop and store them there; only current emails are on the server.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Personally, I am very happy with my me.com email address. I like Apple providing my mail services and not Google. My belief (and I could just be drinking Kool-Aid, I know) is that Apple does not sell or give my data to ad companies or government agencies as easily or for profit the way that Google does. Itís not that Google is bad, they tell you up front that they are going to read all your emails and use it to put up more targeted ads. I just prefer that no one read my emails. Even with Apple, once I am done with the email, I download them to my desktop and store them there; only current emails are on the server.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post

This is embarrassing that I posted twice. Maybe I should post once again with a little extra to make it 3.14159 times.

Oh wait I just did
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:38 PM   #12
redsoxguy676
macrumors regular

I don't think the gmail app will ever have a unified inbox.
redsoxguy676 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:41 PM   #13
E3BK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelt View Post
Still no ability to set font size. Sigh...
Or saving a contact to the address book.
E3BK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:01 PM   #14
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502a

I dont understand why this app even exist when gmail is built into iOS
vartanarsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:03 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
They've been doing that for some time. There were Gmail app updates numbered 2.7182 followed by 2.71828 (which are both representations of 'e' or Euler's number). Don't think they did it with version 1 using something like the golden ratio though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
You don't get the same level of (Gmail) control as you do with the Gmail app (like labels, etc.). Plus push notifications, which don't really exist in iOS for Gmail anymore.
C DM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:37 PM   #16
bkribbs
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
They've been doing that for some time. There were Gmail app updates numbered 2.7182 followed by 2.71828 (which are both representations of 'e' or Euler's number). Don't think they did it with version 1 using something like the golden ratio though.

----------

You don't get the same level of (Gmail) control as you do with the Gmail app (like labels, etc.). Plus push notifications, which don't really exist in iOS for Gmail anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
I never knew that! That's awesome!
bkribbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:39 PM   #17
jazzbo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
And there are older traditions of doing this with software that long predate google. Donald Knuth has numbered the versions of TeX with a number increasingly approaching pi since it hit version 3, which was 25 years ago. Famously he's said that he wants it changed to just π after he passes. His METAFONT program has used representations of e for at least that long.
jazzbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:03 PM   #18
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Because Google doesn't want people using IMAP or mail programs they don't control. They can't put ads into your iOS email app or read your emails and track you easily. With the gmail app they can do as they please.
newagemac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:05 PM   #19
l00pback
macrumors member

Quote:
Google no longer supports email push to the iOS Mail program, but it DOES push to the gmail app.

No, I don't like waiting 15 minutes for my email to show up.
Yes, it's a first-world problem.
l00pback is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:22 PM   #20
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

Quote:

The real joke is being had in the NSA HQ.
RolyPolyBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:23 PM   #21
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
They can't put ads into your iOS email app or read your emails and track you easily.
That is a bit over simplification and just plain wrong. Google doesn't need an iOS app to read your emails. Your emails are on their servers to begin with.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:16 PM   #22
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
One advantage of the app is it works with 2 factor authentication without having to generate a grossly insecure application password (which you need if you use the Mail app in iOS or on a Mac).
dumastudetto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:27 PM   #23
CPx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
That is a bit over simplification and just plain wrong. Google doesn't need an iOS app to read your emails. Your emails are on their servers to begin with.
I know right?
CPx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:47 PM   #24
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
No, actually the way gmail reads your email and serves up ads based on its contents requires them to do it client side. It happens as the email loads. However, the way IMAP works through a client, the email is pulled from google servers and downloaded to your device. So google doesn't have access to the email to run their Adsense scripts.

That's why they don't want you using the open source standards based IMAP protocol. They want you using their proprietary ad serving and tracking system which requires a web browser with JavaScript support or their gmail app which is just a web browser with a native wrapper.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:42 PM   #25
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
No, actually the way gmail reads your email and serves up ads based on its contents requires them to do it client side.
Again, over simplification. Gmail scans your email before it reaches any client. Otherwise filters, labels, priority inbox, spam filters, etc would not work at all. The point is Google is not really gaining any useful information that they don't already have by releasing a iOS client. There is nothing lucrative about the Gmail iOS app. Now Google Maps is a different story.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion