Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How could one install 10.10 on a PPC?
confused.gif

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
*Rabiz7 style on*
Well I am going to try installing this on my quad overclocked to 3 GHZ tonight, as it is handling x86 emulation quite well and mountain lion is also running smoothly on my 7950.
*Rabiz7 style off*

just joking :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
*Rabiz7 style on*
Well I am going to try installing this on my quad overclocked to 3 GHZ tonight, as it is handling x86 emulation quite well and mountain lion is also running smoothly on my 7950.
*Rabiz7 style on*

Make sure you get a picture of your logicboard! Especially capaciresistor P3 to P10!

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
*Rabiz7 style on*
*Rabiz7 style off*

You are absolutely spot on with that quote. I've spent quite a bit of time on /r/PowerPC on reddit, and that guy... I swear he is out of his mind. Not only are his claims outlandish, but he also seems to live in a world where PowerPCs are not only the past, but the future.:D

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm running it right now on my old 512K Mac. It's not too shabby on the 512 x 384 bitmapped display. The translucency isn't working though--darn!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well, actually, I have it on my G3, with BTW is the fastest if you delid and solder a jumper from A3 to B16, which enables the secret x86 emulation mode. The onboard graphics card couldn't handle it, so I converted the graphics slot to a PCI-E slot and stuck a r9 270X in. Then, I removed the onboard RAM slot and made a cable to plug my MacPro memory card and put 64GB in. Unfortunately, CHUD wouldn't run on my G3, so I'm stuck with a maximum of 32GB.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You are absolutely spot on with that quote. I've spent quite a bit of time on /r/PowerPC on reddit, and that guy... I swear he is out of his mind. Not only are his claims outlandish, but he also seems to live in a world where PowerPCs are not only the past, but the future.:D
I don't think he's out of his mind. I think he's just one of those people that will never admit he's wrong and refuses to acknowledge anything that contradicts what he "knows" is right.

If he believed in religion (maybe he does?) he'd be one of those mindless fanatics that justify their wrongs because of what they believe.

----------

Well, actually, I have it on my G3, with BTW is the fastest if you delid and solder a jumper from A3 to B16, which enables the secret x86 emulation mode. The onboard graphics card couldn't handle it, so I converted the graphics slot to a PCI-E slot and stuck a r9 270X in. Then, I removed the onboard RAM slot and made a cable to plug my MacPro memory card and put 64GB in. Unfortunately, CHUD wouldn't run on my G3, so I'm stuck with a maximum of 32GB.
Hmmm…Can't be better than my PowerMacPro with the server class PowerPC chip dropped in! ;)

vlark

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
You guys aren't old school enough! I'm running it in single-user mode on a C64 via my trusty 1530 Datassette Data Recorder on custom data cassettes I spliced together myself. Sure, the B&W Zenith I'm using for a display catches a bit of interference from the 300 baud modem I use to download updates, but man does Yosemite RAWK on this sweet little MOS Technology 6510 chip!

Next project: Getting Mountain Lion to work on a Trash-80!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

So... In addition to extolling the virtues of overclocking everything PPC, he also regularly posts crap on the "PC Master Race" subreddit, and has posted about cocaine and acid...

What does COCAiNe HYDROBROMiDe look like? (self.cocaine)
submitted 1 month ago by rabidz7
Can coke HBr be snorted? Is is it a powder?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm running it right now on my old 512K Mac. It's not too shabby on the 512 x 384 bitmapped display. The translucency isn't working though--darn!

That's because you need a 512Ke! How could you expect Yosemite to run on 64K ROM's?

I think Craig Federighi made it quite clear that 128K was the minimum at WWDC...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.