Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I just installed the public beta, and I opted to not use iCloud drive. Does iCloud Documents and Data still work?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
You won't have access to your iCloud documents (non Yosemite and iOS 8 related) in Yosemite that I can see.

Yep, this was kind of a surprise for me (though in retrospect I suppose it should not have been) but you cannot use iCloud Documents in Yosemite at all, except on the web. You can use iWorks but the documents won't sync, obviously, so that negates its usefulness as far as I'm concerned. I actually decided to go back to Mavericks because of this; Yosemite looks great but frankly without having iOS 8 and Continuity/Hand off enabled, I'm fine with waiting. I need Pages document syncing more than I need a pretty new UI.

jpu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Yep, this was kind of a surprise for me (though in retrospect I suppose it should not have been) but you cannot use iCloud Documents in Yosemite at all, except on the web. You can use iWorks but the documents won't sync, obviously, so that negates its usefulness as far as I'm concerned. I actually decided to go back to Mavericks because of this; Yosemite looks great but frankly without having iOS 8 and Continuity/Hand off enabled, I'm fine with waiting. I need Pages document syncing more than I need a pretty new UI.

SAME! I'll be going back to school soon and I NEED Pages and Numbers to be in sync everywhere. Luckily, I backed up my system before installing the public beta.

I think I'll just install it to an external HD so I can play around with it.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
So if you enable iCloud Drive on two macs (excluding iOS 7 device issues), can you not keep documents in sync between them?

PaulCostello

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
So if you enable iCloud Drive on two macs (excluding iOS 7 device issues), can you not keep documents in sync between them?

This is EXACTLY what Im wondering...I only need my iMac and macbook air to sync my pages documents. I currently have yosemite loaded on both my macs without activating iCloud drive. now, if I activate cloud drive on both macs, will my old and new pages documents sync??
Has anyone tried this?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
If you enable Cloud drive in Yosemite, you lose all your old iCloud documents. If you are speaking to new (Yosemite and iOS 8) iCloud documents, you should be able to sync. As always, back up first.

I need them syncing to the web too though; I use Pages on the web a lot when I'm at work and it's too useful a feature to give up for a month or two. Oh well; in the end I'm fine with 100% functional Mavericks, even it's not quite as shiny. :cool:

----------

This is EXACTLY what Im wondering...I only need my iMac and macbook air to sync my pages documents. I currently have yosemite loaded on both my macs without activating iCloud drive. now, if I activate cloud drive on both macs, will my old and new pages documents sync??
Has anyone tried this?

iCloud Drive will sync and be accessible from other devices that have iCloud Drive, a la Macs loaded up with Yosemite and iOS 8 devices.

----------

Luckily, I backed up my system before installing the public beta.

Time Machine, man. One of the best investments I've ever made for my home network. I had my Mac Mini back up and running from a backup that was made right before I installed the beta in less than an hour.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Are you saying if you install Yosemite all iCloud docs will get deleted?

I want to install Yosemite on one of my computers, but still have access to my iCloud docs on my other computer.

Will I need to pull down all my docs first before installing on one of my machines?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

I want to install Yosemite on one of my computers, but still have access to my iCloud docs on my other computer.

Will I need to pull down all my docs first before installing on one of my machines?
If you enable iCloud in Yosemite, all documents saved in iCloud that were made outside of having both Yosemite and iOS 8 installed, will be deleted. If you want to use the new iCloud with the respective beta versions, you will need to download your old iCloud documents to a place of safe keeping.

Last edited:

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
If you enable iCloud in Yosemite, all documents saved in iCloud that were made outside of having both Yosemite and iOS 8 installed, will be deleted. If you want to use the new iCloud with the respective beta versions, you will need to download your own iCloud documents to a place of safe keeping.

Thank goodness I saw this thread first!! I'll pull down all my docs from iCloud and put them in a safe place.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
If you enable Cloud drive in Yosemite, you lose all your old iCloud documents. If you are speaking to new (Yosemite and iOS 8) iCloud documents, you should be able to sync. As always, back up first.

How does this affect you (if at all) if the only thing you use icloud for is the regular backups of your phone and ipad? I don't use any other features of icloud. I didn't let Yosemite upgrade to the new cloud drive thingy just in case it would affect my iphone or ipad backups. If it's OK I'll turn it on, provided I can figure out how.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
How does this affect you (if at all) if the only thing you use icloud for is the regular backups of your phone and ipad? I don't use any other features of icloud. I didn't let Yosemite upgrade to the new cloud drive thingy just in case it would affect my iphone or ipad backups. If it's OK I'll turn it on, provided I can figure out how.

If you enable it, you will lose whatever older iCloud documents you already have in the cloud. You can't sync older iCloud documents with the new iCloud in Yosemite and iOS 8.

If you don't have any previous iCloud documents saved and you have both beta versions, you shouldn't have any problem syncing said documents, provided the programs being used are compatible with the beta versions with the devices used.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
If you enable it, you will lose whatever older iCloud documents you already have in the cloud. You can't sync older iCloud documents with the new iCloud in Yosemite and iOS 8.

If you don't have any previous iCloud documents saved and you have both beta versions, you shouldn't have any problem syncing said documents, provided the programs being used are compatible with the beta versions with the devices used.

Do the backups from iphone and ipad count as 'documents'? That's the only stuff I have there, and I guess whatever photostreams, or whetever get backed up there automatically. I've never used iCloud in any other capacity.

They should have had a public beta for iOS8 too so that folks like me could actually use all the capabilities of the Yosemite beta.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Follow up. Does installing Yosemite transfer your iCloud documents to the iCloud Drive? Or does it just delete everything from iCloud and if you haven't backed them up you lose them from all devices?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Do the backups from iphone and ipad count as 'documents'? That's the only stuff I have there, and I guess whatever photostreams, or whetever get backed up there automatically. I've never used iCloud in any other capacity.

They should have had a public beta for iOS8 too so that folks like me could actually use all the capabilities of the Yosemite beta.

In regards to the back up question, I don't believe they are labeled as documents per se, but they could still be erased if you enable the new iCloud, from what I understand. If I am wrong on that, I am sure someone will correct me.

I wouldn't take a chance on losing device backup files, at this point in time.

I would make a separate partition for Yosemite, and stick with the iOS 7 back up for your phone, as that is much more reliable versus iOS 8 beta 4.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
In regards to the back up question, I don't believe they are labeled as documents per se, but they could still be erased if you enable the new iCloud, from what I understand. If I am wrong on that, I am sure someone will correct me.

I wouldn't take a chance on losing device backup files, at this point in time.

I would make a separate partition for Yosemite, and stick with the iOS 7 back up for your phone, as that is much more reliable versus iOS 8 beta 4.

Well in that case I'll just leave icloud settings as is so as not to disturb anything. Since I don't have iOS8 on my mobile devices there's not much to be gained anyway.

----------

I think it's not the installing of Yosemite, it's the place where it asks if you want to used the new icloud or whatever it is thing instead of the one you already use. If you didn't chack those boxes I don't think it messes with anything. I made sure those boxes were unchecked.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Data for apps such as Safari and Notes/Reminders still works as it did in Mavericks, but there is no long a "Documents and Data" option in the iCloud menu.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just so you know those files do not get "deleted" you simply do not have access to them from within Yosemite. they remain and work just fine on my iPad and iPhone that stayed on iOS7. the problem is that you cannot sync files from the iOS 7 iCloud back to the Yosemite iCloud and the other way around because its basically two different iClouds.

what i did was save all my iCloud files (pages, numbers, keynotes) locally on my mac before i upgraded to Yosemite and kept the iCloud files on my iPad, iPhone but will continue to save everything locally on Yosemite for now

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Copied my data over and everything is working fine, it simply copies your documents and leaves the old ones in place, so your other devices can still access the old copies

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I realize iCloud Drive is a completely new system, but hopefully Apple will create a workaround where old iCloud files can be seamlessly saved and transferred over in the background to Yosemite/iOS 8 when users upgrade. Otherwise there will be a lot of angry/confused consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.