Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
How do I do a fresh install of yosemite on my laptop. I don't want all my files from mavericks on yosemite. Do I have to do a factory reset on mavericks (and reinstall mavericks), then download yosemite after that? Or is there an easier way of just downloading yosemite and telling it that I want a factor reset at the same time. :confused:

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Think I would just create a new user account, and delete the original account. After that install Yosemite on the new user account, and then reinstall - waste of time to reinstall Mavericks first! But read this thread about reinstalling: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1757780/

Notice: I wouldn't do a clean install with beta software - wait till the final release :)

janitor3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Partition your hard drive, name the partition Test, and install to there.
Then, when starting laptop, choose which one to boot from, either Mavericks or Yosemite.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Partition your hard drive, name the partition Test, and install to there.
Then, when starting laptop, choose which one to boot from, either Mavericks or Yosemite.

I don't want Mavericks on my Macbook anymore. I've tested Yosemite on my HHD for a few weeks now, and feel that the Beta is stable enough for my main OS. I'd rather start with a clean install though, as i've messed up my laptop with random files and apps.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't want Mavericks on my Macbook anymore. I've tested Yosemite on my HHD for a few weeks now, and feel that the Beta is stable enough for my main OS. I'd rather start with a clean install though, as i've messed up my laptop with random files and apps.

If you wish to do so, create a Yosemite install USB and then run from that. Use Disk Utility in the installer and wipe the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.