Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

An XM Radio iPod?

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: An XM Radio iPod?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

The TI reference design really looks like it's been put together with Creative in mind.

(Remarks such as "ewww, ugly! would be pointless and stupid at this time; this is an engineering reference, not a product for sale.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiref.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	39442  
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:01 AM   #3
bigandy
macrumors G3

really, why why why?

iPod has worldwide appeal.

XM Radio is US (and canada?) only.

Anything with XM on board would be pointless on something sold worldwide.

and if there was a US only one with XM, why would they do it? their costs would go up, they'd have to re-engineer the iPod (try and find space to put in another chip)

if you're talking an XM addon, maybe a little better, but i don't reckon that apple are going to go for something that will work in one market and one market only.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 AM   #4
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
really, why why why?

if you're talking an XM addon, maybe a little better, but i don't reckon that apple are going to go for something that will work in one market and one market only.
I got the impression this would be some accessory that connected via the Dock connection or something, not actually built INTO the iPod.
Obvioulsy apple would have to want that for that to happen.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:30 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

the one thing I've noticed with all the handheld XM receivers is that they include these big blocky external antennas, which seems to be a big hint that the built-in ones aren't very good. If the radio attachment ended up larger than the iPod itself, would people really want it?
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:52 AM   #6
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
really, why why why?...snip...
Initially I thought the same, but I went to the original web source and "The DA295 reference design comes complete with all the system code and hardware necessary to support hard disk drive, color LCD and NTSC interfaces, FM tuner, photo and video decode, rechargeable battery-based subsystem as well as optimized implementations of audio codecs (AAC, AAC Plusx (XM's compression decoder), MP3, WMA and others), line-in encoding, and the latest Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies. USB 2.0 high-speed On-The-Go enables peer-to-peer connectivity between the portable audio player and other devices, such as digital cameras."
That makes this chip a little more than a satellite radio add on, whether Apple chooses to use it who knows, but there is enough in this rascal to cover most bases, except FW support
24C is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion