Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Improving iWeb

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Improving iWeb
Description:: Steve Jobs walked onto stage and talked about how iWeb would refine and reshape web-page development. With itís design, functionality, and unambiguous simple, user friendly interface. At the time, I agreed. Steve made another sensational Keynote demo of iWeb, and talked up the hype. Now I have my copy of iLife 06, my views have drastically changed.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:24 AM   #2
whenpaulsparks
macrumors regular

an article about how to improve iWeb? well that's low hanging fruit. i agree with him, but he's only stating the obvious.
whenpaulsparks is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Glenn Wolsey
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Glenn Wolsey Send a message via Skype™ to Glenn Wolsey
Remember, this is my article of what I think needs improving in iWeb, I am yet to write my full review of iWeb showcasing itís many wonderful features.
Weblog.
Glenn Wolsey is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:26 AM   #4
24C
macrumors 6502a

I got my iLife 06 the other day, and I opened it to see what all the fuss was about, and I did think initially the process was like Pages. From somebody who messes with GoLive, the fist thing I did was look at the help pages of iWeb, and look for "uploading". I must admit the info wasn't as easy to extract as it could have been, and those relevance bars didn't hit on uploading to alternatives to dotmac.
I realise Apple has targets for dotmac, and I suppose having dedicated software parallels the iTunes/ITMS software relationship, but although there are 1 million dotmacs out there, there are a lot more dial ups/adsl accounts with unused webspace available.
For a first stab, iWeb is more than OK for its target audience, but for anybody outside this. it's a bit like the first version of iMovie, and you've got an unsupported DV camera and you don't want to buy a new one.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:50 AM   #5
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Wolsey
Remember, this is my article of what I think needs improving in iWeb, I am yet to write my full review of iWeb showcasing itís many wonderful features.
Prepare to have your opinion 'dissected' by the somewhat forensic nature of MR forum users Glenn. Goodluck
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Thomas Harte
macrumors 6502

I don't have iWeb, I can't afford iWeb, I don't want iWeb and I don't have any issues with the other iLife '05 apps but if it exposes an export page action, surely it would be possible for a user to automate their non-.Mac uploads using AppleScript and/or the Automator?
Thomas Harte is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7
whenpaulsparks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Wolsey
i understand. but i havent even used iweb and i could pick up those details by Jobs' presentation and the iWeb homepage. maybe you could dive into:

- how much of a ripoff it is of RapidWeaver
- HTML/XHTML/CSS compatibility
- RSS and how well it's implemented
- any browser-dependent features
- a site updating process for non-.Mac users
- extending it with applescript and/or automator
- PHP or other scripting support
whenpaulsparks is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion