Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
hey guys,

so, i use itunes these days only for podcast listening. and it is a great podcast radio or whathaveyou. but, there are annoying quirks i've noticed since the last few updates or so and it hasn't been fixed.

quirks:

in list view, itunes will download a podcast and then after it downloads it, it won't list it. the only way to see it listed is to toggle the "show" "unplayed/my episodes and saved" and "unplayed/my episodes" that is located in the bottom of the window next to "settings" and so forth. i think this problem probably started when these "new buttons" or options were introduced.

another quirk is itunes will label my podcast with an "i" and a little circle around it and i have to click on it for it to update. i think itunes thinks i don't listen to the podcast anymore even though i do.

anyone else notice these?

i find it annoying.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Your second quirk is something I've been dealing with a lot recently. There are daily podcasts that I listen to and I almost always get to them the same day they're released or the day after. For reasons I can't fathom, iTunes will frequently mark them as "abandoned" and stop updating them. Same thing with weekly podcasts.

I have to tell iTunes to continue updating at least 1 podcast every day or 2. This never happened before and only started a few months ago.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
The same thing is happening to me. Watched yesterday and today iTunes stopped updating until I "nudged" it. Minor hassle, but why?

I sent Apple feedback via iTunes. I hope others do too.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
With regard to iTunes not updating podcasts for no apparent reason, let's hope the latest update released Aug 8 (v 11.3.1) really fixes it. The release notes indicate it does fix it, but with iTunes, you never know.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
yeah. been running and using podcast on itunes for the last week or so since the latest update and glad to report that i haven't encountered the quirky podcast issues. that was kinda quick apple. maybe someone was listening?

Drewski

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
The "abandoned" notice on my podcasts in iTunes is apparently unrelated to how frequently I listen to them. I have podcasts I listen to often that get the (i) and podcasts I listen to rarely that don't. The iTunes update didn't fix it for me.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
The "abandoned" notice on my podcasts in iTunes is apparently unrelated to how frequently I listen to them. I have podcasts I listen to often that get the (i) and podcasts I listen to rarely that don't. The iTunes update didn't fix it for me.

yeh. i thought it fixed it for me, too. but i noticed the "i" thing return. it's not as annoying as the list view quirk. might be related to the mac going to sleep? not sure.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
The whole iTunes podcast interface is frustrating to me. I was used to one version, then it switched and now it's confusing, then another update and I'm just lost. I have a lot of the same quirks going on like you all, especially the (i) thing. I have stuff I've listened to on my iPod and after syncing again, it doesn't update, so there's a whole line of (i)'s that's annoying me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.