Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Looking at Apple's quarterly SEC quarterly filing, Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley believes Apple's revenue is poised to explode in the coming quarters. Huberty based her prediction on increases in Apple's off-balance sheet commitments, which have a historical correlation with revenue growth.

Off-balance sheet commitments are those investments in components and services that are involved in the mass production and launch of new devices. These line items include component purchases, manufacturing process equipment investments, advertising, and other services. Huberty notes that Apple's total spending in these areas has climbed 46 percent yearly and 36 percent quarterly in fiscal Q3 2014, making last quarter's jump the largest spending increase since Apple first launched the iPhone in 2007.

huberty-off-balance-sheet-commitments.png

Huberty, not surprisingly, attributes this spending increase to Apple's iPhone 6 and iWatch wearable, both of which are expected to launch later this year. These new products, along with services such as mobile payments, could accelerate growth and boost margins.
Apple has the opportunity to take share in slower growth smartphone and tablet markets with larger screens and new services. New product categories like iWatch, and services like payments could further boost growth.
Apple is rumored to be launching its next-generation iPhone 6, refreshed iPad models and a new iWatch smartwatch later this year. The company may also update its Mac hardware to coincide with the debut of OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: Apple's Quarterly Spending Points to Major Product Launches, Significant Revenue Growth

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I am a much bigger fan of the old Apple staggered releases. IPad in March, iPhone in June, etc. . Not a fan of the dump in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Greed

Jesus, what is wrong with all of these "analysts"? Too dumb to be real journalists? That bad at math and physics so engineering is out of the question?

I mean, isn't a 600 billion $ valuation and the title of most value public traded company and 8 billion $ on a slow quarter good enough?

It's so boring... All of those attempts to manipulate the stock price. Apple is fine. In fact, they are better than everybody else in the tech industry. Why focus on trying to bring them down instead of focussing on making lesser companies like Samsung Electronics, Asus, Lenovo, LG, HTC, etc. up their respective games?

I mean, LG sells 15 million devices this quarter and makes 100 million $ in profits. What's the point, then? What's the point in selling gazilion devices and not make any money? Focus on Amazon FFS.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Wow, those are big numbers. in the March-14 quarter the spent 20 BILLION dollars and they made almost 60 BILLION dollars (please say BILLION in the way tht Carl Sagen would say it).

Those numbers really blow my mind. I just hope that it results in more mind blowing on annoucement day. Dont care about anything for my rist or for anything to big to fit in my hand. I do care about a phone I can use with one hand. An Apple TV that actually does not require cable service, and a tablet that can finally replace a laptop. Oh, and please clarify the mess around aperature and iphoto. and give me more power in the iworks (really just want pivot tables in numbers).

Am I asking too much? How about if I say pretty please Tim....

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Oklahoma
Wow, those are big numbers. in the March-14 quarter the spent 20 BILLION dollars and they made almost 60 BILLION dollars (please say BILLION in the way tht Carl Sagen would say it).

Those numbers really blow my mind. I just hope that it results in more mind blowing on annoucement day. Dont care about anything for my rist or for anything to big to fit in my hand. I do care about a phone I can use with one hand. An Apple TV that actually does not require cable service, and a tablet that can finally replace a laptop. Oh, and please clarify the mess around aperature and iphoto. and give me more power in the iworks (really just want pivot tables in numbers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmafy_v8g8

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
If it's called iTime, it's iTime to hire someone new in the naming dept.

I doubt it would be called that, people are only saying this because in a patient they called it itime, what people fail to realize is that they aren't going to put the name of an unreleased product in a patent.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

You can never ask for too much. The answer you get? Now that's where the problem enters.:) If rumors are true, you will get that thing for your wrist. You will get a phone where 1 handed use was not a consideration. No, no, no, and no for your final requests. Those no's don't generate revenue so they probably aren't high on the priority list.:(

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Updated Macs for Yosemite? I think Intel killed that for 2014. Maybe a 200MHz processor bump here and there but that's not much to get excited about.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Really excited about the iTime.

With respect, iTime would be a really bad name for the product. 'iTime' would connotate that the product just tells the time. Almost similar with 'iWatch' -- just sounds like it's Apple's version of a watch and doesn't hint at its functionality.

iPhone was a good name because predominantly that's what it was at the time, and the whole app/browsing explosion kind of boomed in the 2nd/3rd gen revisions. iPad was fairly accurate because it was essentially a big pad that you touched, and rolled off the tongue easier than 'iSlate' or 'iTablet'.

I'm still sticking with 'iWear' (iWork, iPlay, iWear), but knowing me I'll have got it completely wrong and be endlessly mocked/quoted for my guess. :D

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Pretty sure Apple has bought the Pulsar naming rights from Seiko and we will see the iPulsar to go along with the iPod, iPhone and iPad as consumer products! :)

I could actually see iPulse being a possible name. In addition to the fact that it better fits the one syllable pattern of the others you cite, it also describes the product well. Pulse could signify both the health aspect of the watch and the fact that it provides a convenient subset (takes the pulse of) the data that's on your phone.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
With respect, iTime would be a really bad name for the product. 'iTime' would connotate that the product just tells the time. Almost similar with 'iWatch' -- just sounds like it's Apple's version of a watch and doesn't hint at its functionality.

iPhone was a good name because predominantly that's what it was at the time, and the whole app/browsing explosion kind of boomed in the 2nd/3rd gen revisions. iPad was fairly accurate because it was essentially a big pad that you touched, and rolled off the tongue easier than 'iSlate' or 'iTablet'.

I'm still sticking with 'iWear' (iWork, iPlay, iWear), but knowing me I'll have got it completely wrong and be endlessly mocked/quoted for my guess. :D

Nah, iWear will be their Google Glass competitor!

(Get it? iWear... eyewear... badumtiss)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Off-balance sheet commitments are [those] investments in components and services [that are] involved in the mass production and launch of new devices.

One thing about MR, I know I can always get my full daily dose of passive verbs in one place, first thing in the morning.

----------

If it's called iTime, it's iTime to hire someone new in the naming dept.

Or iWatch. Equally bad.

----------

Everyone said the same about iPad and Macbook (and probably a bunch of other products) when they launched too.

Actually, many were totally convinced that the iPad would be called the iSlate.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Does anyone actually think iTime is a serious candidate for the name? It was just a placeholder name used for the patent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.