Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timsaxman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Hi

I am currently trying to install Yosemite and I wanted to partition my Macintosh HD but I get the error:

"Partition failed with error:

Couldn't modify partition map because file system verification failed."

I have a 512 GB disk with 120 GB dedicated to Bootcamp and the rest is Macintosh HD at the moment.

Is it Bootcamp that is causing the problem or is it something else? Is there an easy solution?

Edit: I have a 2013 13" rMBP running Mavericks.

Last edited:

elgazzar

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Brilliant!

Thank you sooooo much! This was very helpful, and it worked on my external drive as well!

Thanks to both of you :)

Tawfik

valadas

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Fixed

If it may help anyone else, I just noticed that you can repair the whole disk or individual partitions. At first it did not do anything when repairing the disk (it said it was fine), then I repaired the partition and there was many things to fix.

Finaly I resized my partition normally.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Try a command-r boot to recovery and from there launch Disk Utility and do a repair disk. Does that show the error fixed?

Many many thanks Weaselboy. You solved my problem that OWC couldn't do! They told me that my Accelsior PCI SSD was defective in case that PRAM and SMC reset didn't work. I appreciate your advice very much!
:)

Reactions: Weaselboy

Ali262

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
Sir, I have macbook pro and I installed Windows 10 on it the IOS was deleted a year ago but now I want to reinstall IOS so I used the command+r to set internet recovery mode but I could format my hard it say could modify partition map ...and command+r isn't working it says no operating system found

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sir, I have macbook pro and I installed Windows 10 on it the IOS was deleted a year ago but now I want to reinstall IOS so I used the command+r to set internet recovery mode but I could format my hard it say could modify partition map ...and command+r isn't working it says no operating system found
Are you seeing the spinning globe before you enter recovery? If you are in Internet recovery you will see that globe.

If you are, in the Utilities menu, open Terminal and run the command below and tell me what it says.

Code:
diskutil list

Ali262

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
Are you seeing the spinning globe before you enter recovery? If you are in Internet recovery you will see that globe.

If you are, in the Utilities menu, open Terminal and run the command below and tell me what it says.

Code:
diskutil list

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.