Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing its OS X beta program at WWDC in June, Apple yesterday released the first beta version of the operating system to the public amid favorable reviews. For a growing number of people, the early impressions of OS X have not been positive due to a downloading issue that has prevented the installation of the OS.

yosemitescreenshot.jpg
Users in MacRumors forums, Apple support forums and on Reddit have complained about not being able to download OS X Yosemite from the Mac App Store. These users have successfully redeemed a promo code and initiated the installation, only to have it fail during the download process. This issue has persisted more than 24 hours after the beta was released, suggesting it is not a problem with server overload.
Can't get OS X Yosemite to download properly. Maybe it's the limit I can download per month or something. Gonna go to Starbucks and try it. - Micah (Trivol) (@TheMajesticW0lf) July 25, 2014
All Apple's online services are fully operational, and Apple support has not mentioned any potential issues that could interfere with OS X downloads. Several users have reported that using a VPN and selecting an alternative country such as Canada has solved the download issue, while others have chosen to delay the install indefinitely.

Apple's beta program has made OS X Yosemite available to up to a million new, non-developer users who now are experiencing the OS for the first time. Beta users can check out our first impressions post as well as our forums for troubleshooting tips, known issues and more.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Beta Failing to Download for Some Users

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Of the 1,000,000 copies available, I wonder how many have been downloaded and installed.

Let's count: 1 :D

jonbauer

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Thank god a big blog picked this up! (that's my reddit post).

I've been trying to get this solved since yesterday at about 10:00 AM PDT!

- Jon

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I got the e-mail, clicked the link, and it downloaded and installed in short order. I don't understand why people are having problems.

It's very simple.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
If it doesn't work, I'm just going to torrent it. The Mac App Store must've been programmed by Microsoft because it never works right. You guys have no idea how much it resisted giving me a simple Xcode update. And last time I tried downloading an app from it, it strobed black and white for 10 seconds then crashed (a known problem).

Edit: OK, it seems to be working after some weird issue where the download bar was flashing rapidly.

Last edited:

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
I thought my download attempts had failed too. What I didn't realize was that after my first click on the redemption code it was actually downloading to Launchpad. Launchpad did not open on top.

For those that are having problems, check Launchpad and see if something is there. The installation gets launched from Launchpad.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
I got the e-mail, clicked the link, and it downloaded and installed in short order. I don't understand why people are having problems.

It's very simple.

It just won't download for some people, its nothing they're doing wrong.

I downloaded it last night just fine, I must have been lucky.

jonbauer

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I thought my download attempts had failed too. What I didn't realize was that after my first click on the redemption code it was actually downloading to Launchpad. Launchpad did not open on top.

For those that are having problems, check Launchpad and see if something is there. The installation gets launched from Launchpad.

Yes, mine is downloading to Launchpad, but that shouldn't be a problem...

- Jon

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I just assumed it was my "high speed" DSL being unable to maintain a connection that long.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yeah

Yes, Im on a comcast 100MB connection at home and it gets about 1GB in and then stops.

I'm trying to do the actual DL on my ML machine, could that be it?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That Twitter dude has a lot of gall, using a business (Starbucks) Wi-Fi connection to download over 5GB of data for their own personal enjoyment.

Yosemite Beta downloaded properly for me. But I can't get it to install on my old 2007 MacBook Pro, set to install onto an external Firewire drive. It get stuck at boot up. First time that an OS X install has been this problematic for me in 12 years. Good thing I chose a secondary computer and not my primary one.

richeyty

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2013
Man, I was hoping Macrumors would post something about this! I still can't download, need help!!

Mcnb

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Same problem here. I have been trying to download on several computers since 10am yesterday, even reaching 5.07GB twice only to have the app store say download failed. Frustrating to say the least.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Nothing is in Launchpad and you get an actual specific error message in the Mac App Store that the download has failed.

I hope this goes viral to Apple. This is beyond ridiculous. Been trying since yesterday morning myself. Still no go.

biteonapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Works in the UK super quick

I managed to download it yesterday and install it on my 15" retina in about 25 minutes...
Reviewed it as well:
georgesbiteonapple.tumblr.com

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
That Twitter dude has a lot of gall, using a business (Starbucks) Wi-Fi connection to download over 5GB of data for their own personal enjoyment.

Yosemite Beta downloaded properly for me. But I can't get it to install on my old 2007 MacBook Pro, set to install onto an external Firewire drive. It get stuck at boot up. First time that an OS X install has been this problematic for me in 12 years. Good thing I chose a secondary computer and not my primary one.

Good to know. I also have an old 2007 MBP.
I think I'll just wait until the GM or the final release comes out, as I only have one Mac.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It's definitely not a bandwidth issue. I'm at a university with crazy fast connectivity and it's still erroring out. Just remoted to my home mating which also has fairly fast internet (250+ MB/s) to see if I can get it from there.

Seems to be a server side problem.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Apple should hopefully fix this download issue. This Beta program seems to be testing Apple's download mechanism, in addition to the Yosemite operating system.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Once again, it's easier to pirate free software than it is to download free software legitimately. The Mac App Store has brought me nothing but trouble.

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't leveraged peer-to-peer technologies (eg. BitTorrent) by now to lighten the load on their own servers. They could come up with an intuitive approach where "chunks" are downloaded that are useless on their own, but then assembled back on the Mac to be unique to the person downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.