Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FenixStryker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Hi guys, I have to get a new laptop for college next month and I want to get a Retina MacBook Pro. But according to the buyers guide it sounds like I shouldn't? I really need some guidance because my poor MacBook is going to kick the bucket any day now. I'm a Mass Communications student that does a lot with final cut so there really is no getting around buying this thing. :(

Thanks in advance~

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
The way I look at it is there will always be something new and better coming around the corner. What I would do in this situation is base the decision on two factors:

1) Do you like what you see coming with Yosemite? If not, buy one before it launches because you won't be able to go back afterward but at least you can make the decision yourself otherwise.

2) How long can you realistically wait? If you're worried wait as long as you can and then buy. If it's refreshed, great. If not, it happens. The current rMBP is plenty strong and a great machine.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I would be surprised if there was a significant update now. The only update is for new Haswell chips, but that only improves the CPU speed by a few percent. The main updates like better graphics will wait until the next CPU from Intel and this will happen next year for sure. So yes it is a bad time to buy if you need the absolute newest model, but realistically it is about midway through a major update.

There will always be something new, but now is as good a time as any to buy. There will likely be a small update in the next few months, but nothing terribly important.

Check if Apple offers education pricing for your school or if Apple has a current generation refurbished model in stock. You can usually get a good deal.

Good luck! :)

GreatMightySymp

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
If there's a spec update, it'll be small (i.e. benchmark increases, but nothing the average user would see).

Since the new line of chips are delayed till early 2015, if you're getting it sooner rather than later you'll be fine as you'd have to wait another half-year to get the new line of chips.

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
I think you might want to bite the bullet on a higher end configured rMBP. This way, even if there is a spec bump (a small one will be likely) your MacBook will still be as fast as the new generation. Also, Apple usually announces new MacBooks in October, so if you can, wait until then. If not, then the current ones are really fast and get a lot of work done.

Hope this helps.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I guess apple just made your decision easy by upgrading the rMBP haha. Minor spec bump as we assumed but it’s still a refresh which makes this the ideal time to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.