Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've got a previous-generation Time Capsule (the version released just prior to the current model) that won't mount as a wired "Device" when connected to my Macbook Air via Ethernet.

I have the TC set so the Wireless Network Mode is "Off" and the Router Mode is "Off (Bridge Mode)." There is also no cable going into the TC's WAN port. Just the ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to my MacBook Air (which has the ethernet-to-USB adapter).

Nevertheless, the TC only shows up in the Finder as a Shared wireless device. It seems like it's ignoring the WiFi "Off" settings and still connecting to my Mac wirelessly.

I want to connect via Ethernet to my Mac, not wirelessly. Anybody know what must I do to get this to work?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
That doesn't mean its wireless, as you get the same thing wired. Turn off your MBA's wireless and see if the TC still shows up.

Can you see any files on the Time Capsule. I always thought you had to have a router function in the loop to assign IP addresses, but I guess the defaults are within the same subnet....

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as there is a connection, either via Ethernet or WiFi, the Time Capsule will always show up the same way in Finder as well as connect in the same protocol.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I've got a previous-generation Time Capsule (the version released just prior to the current model) that won't mount as a wired "Device" when connected to my Macbook Air via Ethernet.

I have the TC set so the Wireless Network Mode is "Off" and the Router Mode is "Off (Bridge Mode)." There is also no cable going into the TC's WAN port. Just the ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to my MacBook Air (which has the ethernet-to-USB adapter).

Nevertheless, the TC only shows up in the Finder as a Shared wireless device. It seems like it's ignoring the WiFi "Off" settings and still connecting to my Mac wirelessly.

I want to connect via Ethernet to my Mac, not wirelessly. Anybody know what must I do to get this to work?

It's working exactly as it should. A TC (or any network storage device) connected by Ethernet cable will still show up in Finder as a Shared device using AFP (or SMB). The only way to get it to connect as a non-shared device would be to remove the internal hard drive and connect directly to the computer using a peripheral interface such as USB, SATA, TB, etc.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I guess the slow data-transfer speeds are due to the fact that I'm going through Apple's USB Ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air. Maybe I should purchase the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter instead, to see if that improves things.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The fastest speeds you'll see when using the USB-Ethernet adapter are about 33 megabytes per second. That's less than the average maximum of gigabit Ethernet's 70 megabytes per second.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I guess the slow data-transfer speeds are due to the fact that I'm going through Apple's USB Ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air. Maybe I should purchase the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter instead, to see if that improves things.

As Intell stated, the USB Ethernet adapter is only capable of slower speeds. According to the Apple Specification sheet, the adapter is capable of 100 Mbps. That would convert to 12.5 Megabytes per second. The Thunderbolt adapter is Gigabit and is capable of 125 MBps theoretically. Once overhead and all is added in Intell's number on the Thunderbolt Adapter is indeed correct.

Let the debate on the speed of the USB adapter begin with Intell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.