Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I want to get an ios device for the odd thing which is ios only but I'm not sure whether to get either an ipad mini or wait for the iphone 6 due to some discounts I've seen for the former.

Besides basic network connectivity/size/(maybe) spec are there any major downsides to going for either a retina ipad mini (16/32) or air (16gb) over waiting for an iphone 6?

The main advantage or going for an ipad I've seen are that it's cheaper (work discount + offers until early August) has a larger screen and still allows me keep my Android phone as my main phone which I can tether from (I would likely get a moto g 4g).

For the record, my last ios device was an iphone 4 on ios 6 but I jailbroke that and I have an rMBP.

Thank you.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Well if you don't actually need another phone get the ipad. In addition to being cheaper it will be much better for work.

That's what I was thinking as well, I'm just wondering if there were any major downsides e.g. app compatibility (besides gps, etc. of course).

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Are there any real practical differences between the ipad air and the mini besides size?

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a mini since I already have a 9" Android tablet but I'm concerned that apps wont run as well on the smaller display (e.g. text will be harder to read).

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Exact same internals. Only a size difference. The air has a very very slight edge on processor speed but its still the same A7 thats in the mini.

Are there any real practical differences between the ipad air and the mini besides size?

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a mini since I already have a 9" Android tablet but I'm concerned that apps wont run as well on the smaller display (e.g. text will be harder to read).

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Exact same internals. Only a size difference. The air has a very very slight edge on processor speed but its still the same A7 thats in the mini.

Thanks, any issues app wise due to the reduced size (but not resolution)?

llarc84

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
The answer to this question will depend on your needs primarily. Nothing wrong with keeping your current phone and getting an iPad, but also nothing wrong with going in the other direction.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Sorry for the lack of a response, been busy.

I ended up paying more and going for the air after having an opportunity to try out both and found the air more comfortable with my eyes (otherwise I probably would have gone for the mini).

So far only issue I'm having is that my homehub doesn't like the ipad (have to kludge through another one).

Thanks for the advice, definitely seems to be better than a phone as my single ios device.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Sorry for the lack of a response, been busy.

I ended up paying more and going for the air after having an opportunity to try out both and found the air more comfortable with my eyes (otherwise I probably would have gone for the mini).

So far only issue I'm having is that my homehub doesn't like the ipad (have to kludge through another one).

Thanks for the advice, definitely seems to be better than a phone as my single ios device.

Good choice. The iPad is WAY better as a device than any phone. The puny screen renders the phone pretty useless IMO. It's great for calling and texting I suppose but that's about it. Browsing the internet on a tiny screen is just so fruitless. Enjoy your iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like you found the best of both worlds, keeping the phone you wanted but getting an iPad for your iOS needs.

I was about to recommend getting the iPad, though I probably was going to recommend the rMini just because I'm partial to that model :)

The Air is a great iPad in its own right though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.