Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Hello
ive an imac this is the informations

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
2 GB Memory
250 Gb on Hard Drive

and ive the version 10.6.8 installed

and my questions are :
1-if u installed 10.9.4 the imac will be fast or no if the reply is no can u give me the best version to install it and keep my imac fast not slow

2-if i keep older version so it affect the security of imac or no ?

thx and sorry for my bad language

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
In my opinion, 2 GB of RAM is ok for Snow Leopard, but does not suffice for any OS from Lion and later.

4 GB would be the minimum.

From Mid-2007, iMac models can use up to 6 GB of RAM.

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Thx Guys For the reply
so now the best solution is keeping snow leopard till i add more memory thats correct ?
and what about security if idont have last version of mac os x

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
10.6.8 is a pretty stable and still fast version of os X for older machines. You can stick with that, ecpecially if you're still running older programs/games with Rosetta. Please check this first before upgrading, else you'll lose these programs and you'll have to update to a newer version of the program if available and it could be that newer programs won't run that well on old hardware.

You can also make a seperate partition for 10.9 and give it a try. Because once you install it over your old os, it's very hard to get it off your mac and go back to 10.6. Offcoure make a backup before you start!

Definitely increase the RAM to at least 4 GB, it will make the iMac feel a lot faster, especially when upgrading to 10.9

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Okey thx so now i will need to keep my current version till i add more memory
2- if i need to buy a memory it is the same memory worked in the other desctops like hp or dell etc or there is a memory works just with imac ?
3- when i reach system information see this information
Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 800 MHz

and the same info in the other slot

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Hello
ive an imac this is the informations

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
2 GB Memory
250 Gb on Hard Drive

and ive the version 10.6.8 installed

and my questions are :
1-if u installed 10.9.4 the imac will be fast or no if the reply is no can u give me the best version to install it and keep my imac fast not slow

2-if i keep older version so it affect the security of imac or no ?

thx and sorry for my bad language

2GB of RAM is fine on Mavericks, just as long as you have an SSD. 2GB of RAM will probably only be ok for the next year or two though, so getting 6GB is a good idea if you want to keep your computer for a few more years. Definitely look into getting an SSD though, it will most likely have a bigger impact on the usability of your computer than RAM. An SSD is the best investment you can make as a consumer.

Older versions of OS X are not any less secure, if you want to keep your iMac on SL. Mavericks has pretty good memory management, so it shouldn't be too big an issue though.

Matt

----------

In my opinion, 2 GB of RAM is ok for Snow Leopard, but does not suffice for any OS from Lion and later.

4 GB would be the minimum.

From Mid-2007, iMac models can use up to 6 GB of RAM.

My C2D MBA with 2GB of RAM runs perfectly on Mavericks. I browse the web, watch movies, write, and do light gaming (Portal 2, League of Legends) without a hitch. The only reason 2GB is not enough is because an HDD is bottlenecking the system.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
2GB of RAM is fine on Mavericks, just as long as you have an SSD. 2GB of RAM will probably only be ok for the next year or two though, so getting 6GB is a good idea if you want to keep your computer for a few more years. Definitely look into getting an SSD though, it will most likely have a bigger impact on the usability of your computer than RAM. An SSD is the best investment you can make as a consumer.

Older versions of OS X are not any less secure, if you want to keep your iMac on SL. Mavericks has pretty good memory management, so it shouldn't be too big an issue though.

Matt

----------

My C2D MBA with 2GB of RAM runs perfectly on Mavericks. I browse the web, watch movies, write, and do light gaming (Portal 2, League of Legends) without a hitch. The only reason 2GB is not enough is because an HDD is bottlenecking the system.

I have seen HDD iMacs with 2GB of RAM and they still kept up greatly too.

joulail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Okey Thx Guys so i will keep my current till i add more memory and upgrade to mavericks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.