Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pugman1943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Will someone tell me what the best compiler for Yosemite is? I'm in a pile of pooh and might as redo the mess the correct way. Appreciate any wisdom imparted. Thank you.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Compiler for what? Most use Clang/LLVM, since that is what Apple provides in Xcode.

I will say this basically.

If c/c++/ fortran for example you could give intel optimized compilers a go. Its a free 30mday trial iirc. Not sure how you test compiler performance tbh. but I know the marketing people will say they are better. OFC that is what marketing people do lol.

Not sure if intel supports Yosemite yet though. But that I think that would be the case for any 3rd party compiler option I am thinking. If they are cooking up something, it probably be beta and won't be settled in until apple has os and such at gold disk release level.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure how you test compiler performance tbh. but I know the marketing people will say they are better. OFC that is what marketing people do lol.

I think these are the three metrics most commonly used:
1 - How quickly can the compiled code be executed? There are multiple ways to compile any bit of high level code into machine code, so the compiler needs to be smart enough to identify the right choices to make from a performance point of view.
2 - How big is the compiled executable? Again, multiple ways to compile. Some will end up with smaller binaries than others.
3 - How quickly does it compile code? Not normally a big deal these days since compilation usually takes minutes if not seconds, and larger projects are normally compiled on dedicated build servers instead of local dev machines. But I think this used to be more important when stuff could take hours to compile. Not sure - I haven't been alive long enough but my understanding is compilers used to be that slow.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
What kind of compiler? There's no "all in one" compiler that does every language known to man...

As has been said - clang/LLVM is what most people use on this platform. Unless you have some really specific requirements I'm not sure what else you'd need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.